James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Mustang Shelby GT500
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

The temptation to put big-ish tires on my Big Bender has proven too much. I'm going to get 18"x9" Method Race Wheels 312's and I'm going with 285/65R18 tires. I like the Nittos for the entertaining (non-boring) tread designs and good reviews.

Ridge Grapplers are well loved on the Forum, but I'm thinking of the Dune Grapplers for their truly outstanding on-road and on-sand (Florida) performance. The 'flames' pattern might be a bit cheesy - this is a lame concern, I know. Anyone have firsthand experience wheeling the Dune Grapplers?

Ford Bronco Nitto Dune Grappler vs Ridge Grappler 1635300060656
Sponsored

icd70

Badlands
First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

The temptation to put big-ish tires on my Big Bender has proven too much. I'm going to get 18"x9" Method Race Wheels 312's and I'm going with 285/65R18 tires. I like the Nittos for the entertaining (non-boring) tread designs and good reviews.

Ridge Grapplers are well loved on the Forum, but I'm thinking of the Dune Grapplers for their truly outstanding on-road and on-sand (Florida) performance. The 'flames' pattern might be a bit cheesy - this is a lame concern, I know. Anyone have firsthand experience wheeling the Dune Grapplers?

Ford Bronco Nitto Dune Grappler vs Ridge Grappler 1635300060656
Embrace the lame! I don't know if they run good but they are unique!

Dangerdad1101

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘12 Ram Cummins
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I was in a Discount Tire yesterday and they had a new Nitto Recon Grappler on display. I was impressed, and that’s coming from a die-hard Toyo fan.

RagnarKon

Badlands
First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco, Escape, Focus
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I believe Dune Grapplers were discontinued (due to poor sales perhaps?).

But anyway... I drove my cousin's 4Runner with them... and they were fine I guess. Wasn't all that blown away. They performed about as well as my brother's Milestar Patagonia X/T tires that he had on his Nissan Pathfinder.

If I was dead-set on getting a Nitto tire for the sand it would probably be the Recon Grappler, though honestly I wouldn't be looking at Nitto tires unless I was looking for mud-terrains. For all-terrains that I could use in both the sand & everyday I'm probably sticking with the BFG KO2.

Last edited:

cscottp67

Badlands
First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 F-250 / 20 f-150
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I have had several sets of ridge runners and have been happy with them. It’s probably the most aggressive looking tire with the least road noise.

Sponsored

Beach_Bum

Black Diamond
First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Black Diamond Bronco, 2023 Outerbanks Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

The flame isn't lame. It is awesome. Combine that with the Old English sidewall lettering and there is no confusing your treads with that of Dad Tires.

I wasn't aware that they were discontinued. I'd look into that and if so, it would be worthwhile to grab a set from stock.

Raptor.Tremor.Bronco

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Wildtrak, 2014 Raptor, 2020 Tremor
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
I was in a Discount Tire yesterday and they had a new Nitto Recon Grappler on display. I was impressed, and that’s coming from a die-hard Toyo fan.
You realize toyo owns nitto and they are built in the same factory lol

grayshadow

Black Diamond
First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I was interested in the Ridge Grapplers until I discovered the sidewalls are only two ply, I think I want something stronger, I’m a wrong?

OP
OP
SupremoSombrero

SupremoSombrero

Big Bend
First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

I was interested in the Ridge Grapplers until I discovered the sidewalls are only two ply, I think I want something stronger, I’m a wrong?
All depends on two plies of what. When we built cars, going to fewer plies of thicker material made sense in every way. I don't think you should rule them out simply because of that number.

OP
OP
SupremoSombrero

SupremoSombrero

Big Bend
First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

The flame isn't lame. It is awesome. Combine that with the Old English sidewall lettering and there is no confusing your treads with that of Dad Tires.

I wasn't aware that they were discontinued. I'd look into that and if so, it would be worthwhile to grab a set from stock.
I admit, I like this thinking. I"m being too concerned about what others might think. The flames are ballzy - how did they get that design past the Stuffed-Shirts??? Impressive.

Sponsored

Go_Galt

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru Forester 6MT
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Those would look great in an ultra-low-profile rubber band aspect ratio on some extreme doodie wheels.

hXD8209-290-6-00P-1024x966.png

Beach_Bum

Black Diamond
First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Black Diamond Bronco, 2023 Outerbanks Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I admit, I like this thinking. I"m being too concerned about what others might think. The flames are ballzy - how did they get that design past the Stuffed-Shirts??? Impressive.
There is a Jeep at my gym that runs them. They are gorgeous. With no end in sight for delivery of my Bronco, I've not been following the availability. Someone mentioning that they are being discontinued makes me sad. I'm tempted to hunt down a set and store them in the garage until they come.

I'm not going to apologize that most of my off road driving will be on the beach. People spend their hard earned money and use vacation time to do what I can every day of the week.

My comment on Dad Tires is in regards to the KO2's. Great tire, looks great, performs great. But we know the stereotype - chrome revolver wheels with a set of K02's. It screams Dad style. Same with the New Balance shoes. Great arch support, classic style (hasn't changed in 20+ years), etc. Paired with white mid-calf socks, they can be spotted from a distance. No middle-aged man wants to be seen in them, yet they continue to be best-sellers.

BroncoBurgerWithCheese

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Bronco Black Diamond; Jeep Grand Chero; BMW X5M
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
I've had Nitto Ridge Grapplers on my truck for the last several years and like them a lot for mud and they look great. I don't know about sand, never done it. I will say that I have to rotate them fairly often to keep the road noise down from uneven wear.

ICUGAZN

Badlands
First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Raptor
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I see a lot of hardcore rock wheeling using Ridge Grapplers. I don't think the sidewalls will be an issue on those tires.
Sponsored