Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Nissan Frontier 4WD
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Ive run the BFG KO2s on my raptor for a long time and KOs before that. Im not impressed with them, I usually get 30k miles out of them all street use with 3k mile rotations. The past couple of sets have had extreme vibrations on the highway which is very annoying even after rebalancing. My current set has some extreme offroad use including lot of jumps, high speed offroad driving, offroad drifting, etc. They are almost done with life after 15k miles, the tires have chunks missing out of them because they are soft like butter. I picked up a set of Ridge grapplers for my tremor last year and they are awesome. The Ridge grapplers have a more modern, aggressive look and better performance, especially in the long term. I beat on the nittos all the time but still look great after 18k miles, they probably had a little more than half life left in them and that's with burnouts, launches, offroad use from 1,050 lb-ft of torque. The only downside going from BFG to nitto is weight and noise (which isnt bad)however the nittos run slightly larger. I recently joined the nitto pit crew and they sent me out a free set of Recon grappler A/Ts which will be revealed today at noon. I've been running them for a couple of weeks and they are awesome. However they seem to be focusing in on 20"+ sizes for now. I got the 18" early. I personally think the Recons would be the perfect choice for the bronco so hopefully they make 17" an option soon.
I too have been running BFG K02 for years!
I love the looks of the tires, and the grip even on wet pavement, but Iā€™ve always had to have a balance five times and they still have had balance problems on every set Iā€™ve ever had!
The other thing is that itā€™s annoying is gravel is the perfect size to get stuck in the grooves, and then fly off into your wheel wells on the highway!
Im done with them!
I like the ridge grapplerā€˜s, but I also am looking at the mastercraft courser CXT
They are a really good looking tire,
And I havenā€™t heard any bad reviews on those.
Sponsored

Raptor.Tremor.Bronco

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Wildtrak, 2014 Raptor, 2020 Tremor
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Now that I can post more details here are the new Recon Grapplers on my truck! Keep in mind I am running the less aggressive sidewall of the tire, I'll include an image of the aggressive side. Along with a comparison to my old Ridge Grapplers. I also forgot to mention that the Recons are much heavier than Ridge likely due to them being stiffened for improved performance on road.
Ford Bronco Nitto ridge grappler vs BFG KO2 20210525_175958
Ford Bronco Nitto ridge grappler vs BFG KO2 20210525_180041
Ford Bronco Nitto ridge grappler vs BFG KO2 20210525_180007
Ford Bronco Nitto ridge grappler vs BFG KO2 20210514_184532
Ford Bronco Nitto ridge grappler vs BFG KO2 20210514_184506

MaxLD

Outer Banks
First Name
Max
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ecoboost Premium Convertible
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
I've had great experiences with KO2s in the past, I have a friend who's ran them for years on his old D2 rover and now runs 33' KO2s on his 4runner, and we both agree it provides the best comfort between on-road and off-road use. Not to mention they provide great grip in the snow which is important for us in the New England area))

However,

We all know TSL Boggers are the superior tire.

Gamecock

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Badlands / Sasquatch
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
KO2s are fine. That's it, just decent. They do well in a lot of different environments....but they are hard to balance and often require a ton of weight to do it. That shows up in big ways on big tires on a smaller vehicle (Bronco class). For that reason, I wouldn't buy another set...and I believe there are lots of better tires out there now. KO2 is an old design at this point. I haven't run Nittos, so can't really compare, but based on reviews I would definitely buy those over the KO2s if I was shopping.

1975U15

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 F-350 SD, 1975 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Own the RG's on Super Duty. Love em' Don't have a single complaint. I also prefer the aggressive look compared to KO2's. Big difference there IMO. Make KO2's look very pedestrian.

Sponsored

jay-rod427

Badlands
First Name
Jerod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Carbonized gray 2 dr BadLands Sans-Squatch ordered
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
The BFG's are too soft and get torn up too easily. I haven't personally ran the ridge grappler yet, but several buddies have them on their trucks. Nice and quiet considering semi-aggressive tread.

I will put grapplers on my bronco no question.

Reactions: Jb7

MoabRox

Black Diamond
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Two Jeep XJs, Dodge M880, Suburban 2500
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
I've had Ridge Grapplers (LT285/70R17s) on my Suburban 2500 for about 3 years (~30K miles). They are great on and off road-wet, dry, snow packed, icy, light mud, pulling our travel trailer, whatever. I'd have to measure, but they probably still have 1/2 or more of the tread and have worn even and stay balanced. I have absolutely no complaints about them!
KO2's, based on my previous experience with them, were not even a consideration. KO2's may be bullet proof, but whereas they perform really well on pavement, slickrock, dry trails, they suck in even light mud. I used to be a huge BFG fan and have a set of KM2s on my current rig, but they have not kept up with the competition and when I replace that set of tires this fall, it will not be with BFG tires.

Slick Rick

Black Diamond
First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150, Challenger
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
I am curious to find out how the Goodyear Territory MT's actually perform compared to the other two listed in this thread. At 52 lb. they are much lighter than other tires in this size and class. Probably not as good as either the Nitto or BFG. The
Goodyear tires that I have used in the past are very soft and wear poorly. I am interested to find out when people actually start running them how well they will do.

Slick Rick

Black Diamond
First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150, Challenger
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
I am curious to find out how the Goodyear Territory MT's actually perform compared to the other two listed in this thread. At 52 lb. they are much lighter than other tires in this size and class. Probably not as good as either the Nitto or BFG. The
Goodyear tires that I have used in the past are very soft and wear poorly. I am interested to find out when people actually start running them how well they will do.
The 52 lbs. was for the 315 and not the 285. I should have read more carefully.

Sponsored

Mvruggink41

Wildtrak
First Name
Mitchell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Waiting on Wildtrak Bronco Sasquatch
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
We have two Gladiators one with 17's and 35in TrailGrapplers and the other set is 20's on 37in tires. My father and I love these tires on our Gladiators. Once my Wildtrak come in I will prolly stick with the factory tires for the first go around unless I really dislike them. they will already be 35's and my truck with the 20's and 37in tires is quite a bit all over the road and I am looking for a more comfortable ride... These Nitto's are by far my favorite tires!

IMG_7229 (1).jpeg

Stage 3 Motorsports

Badlands
Squatch Sponsor (Level 3)
First Name
Joel
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.stage3motorsports.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Badlands 4 Door 2.7L Ecoboost
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
(My personal opinion)

The BFG ko/ko2 are one of the most overrated tires. Being in the business for years I cant help but roll my eyes when people used to ask for them in the shop setting, but its one of those things that are popular for so long that people just know the name. I there are way better options out there and since this thread is nitto/toyo I will keep my opinion to those as there are quite a few good tires out there these days.

Nitto Terra G2 - Least aggressive of all choices, absolutely smooth/quiet ride, have seen as much as 90,000 miles out of these always suggestion for the older crowd who want zero noise and long life.
Nitto Recon Grappler - no personal experience yet, but an updated more aggressive look as that was the biggest downfall of the G2 so i expect nothing but good things.
Nitto Ridge Grappler - Most aggressive looking tire without sacrificing ride, smooth, slightly noisier than the all terrain alternatives. Most see 40-60 depending on truck/use

Toyo Open Country ATII - was my previous favorite as it was one of the more aggressive looking all terrains, the ridge was incredible and would usually see 45-65 out of them.
Toyo Open Country ATIII - my current favorite choice for all around tire, more aggressive styling and still maintains smooth quiet ride.

Summary ATIII if you dont want such an aggressive tread (and definately in place of the KO@)ridge grappler if your looking for more aggressive.

Frank

OP
OP
Jb7

Jb7

Big Bend
First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ram 1500 sport
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

I am gonna go ridge grapplerā€™s, good reviews and more aggressive look than BFG, just have to decide which size for a stock BB, dealer is gonna credit factory tires, trucks being built next week, so gotta let dealer know size soon...

LT255/80R17 E 121/118Q
Tech Specs
  • Stock Number: 217380
  • Tread Depth: 16.4
  • Inflated Dimensions - Overall Dia (in):33.31
  • Inflated Dimensions - Overall Width (in):10.04
  • Approved Rim: 6.5-(7.0)-8.5
  • Maximum Load (lbs.) @ Press. (PSI):3195 @ 80
  • Weight: 54.9.

Or

LT285/70R17 E 121/118Q
Tech Specs
  • Stock Number: 217000
  • Tread Depth: 16.4
  • Inflated Dimensions - Overall Dia (in):32.76
  • Inflated Dimensions - Overall Width (in):11.50
  • Approved Rim: 7.5-(8.5)-9.5
  • Maximum Load (lbs.) @ Press. (PSI):3195 @ 80
  • Weight: 57.89

First one is close to stock tire width, but Iā€™m worried may be too tall, second one ht should work but worried about width

North7

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
SUV
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Clubs

(My personal opinion)

The BFG ko/ko2 are one of the most overrated tires. Being in the business for years I cant help but roll my eyes when people used to ask for them in the shop setting, but its one of those things that are popular for so long that people just know the name. I there are way better options out there and since this thread is nitto/toyo I will keep my opinion to those as there are quite a few good tires out there these days.

Nitto Terra G2 - Least aggressive of all choices, absolutely smooth/quiet ride, have seen as much as 90,000 miles out of these always suggestion for the older crowd who want zero noise and long life.
Nitto Recon Grappler - no personal experience yet, but an updated more aggressive look as that was the biggest downfall of the G2 so i expect nothing but good things.
Nitto Ridge Grappler - Most aggressive looking tire without sacrificing ride, smooth, slightly noisier than the all terrain alternatives. Most see 40-60 depending on truck/use

Toyo Open Country ATII - was my previous favorite as it was one of the more aggressive looking all terrains, the ridge was incredible and would usually see 45-65 out of them.
Toyo Open Country ATIII - my current favorite choice for all around tire, more aggressive styling and still maintains smooth quiet ride.

Summary ATIII if you dont want such an aggressive tread (and definately in place of the KO@)ridge grappler if your looking for more aggressive.

Frank
So how would you say those compare to Falken Wildpeak AT3W in 285/70/17 size, S/L load rating? I've read many good things about them. What is important for my needs, 95% daily driver, comfortable, quiet ride.

Bronkers

Big Bend
First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 2dr Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
My swap for base tires is looking like it will soon be Ridges in 285/70r17...

Here is my own twist to this thread, requisite apology if discussed ad nauseum in other threads I have not been able to find:

I want load range C and plan to start practicing airing down in somehwat sharp terrain (mostly southern UT).

I do realize ply count is reduced and thus puncture risk increased. I have read and heard Ridges have a proportionally stronger or at least heavier sidewall than most (say the BFGs); seems it might offset the risk somehwat.

Hoping there are seasoned wheelers reading that have lots of background airing down.

Which range, C or E, will perform better when aired-down, given Bronco vehicle weight and tire size noted?
Sponsored

Last edited: