Sponsored

NJ/NY/Delaware/Eastern Pa./MD/Ct Volume Buyers?

How likely are you to Order/Buy when the order banks open in December?

• Total voters

BAUS67

Base
First Name
redneck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
88 5.0 LX, 08 F-150 Stepside, 22 Expl Timberline
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Hey all! If anyone is interested, I’m going up to AOAA this Sunday 12/12 with a group of experienced off-roading Jeep guys. I probably may be the only Bronco there(unless one of you join) but these guys know the trails well(they basically go here and Rauch several times a year), have all the necessary gear, and have a lot more off roading experience than me. Figured I can learn a lot from them. Let me know if anyone wants to join and I will give you more details.

Make sure you get some good pics and post them up here when you get back. 😁
Sponsored

mds5917

Badlands
First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Bronco Badlands, '21 Toyota RAV4 Prime
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
It's a bit far or I'd go but the other issue is I don't have any gear or experience, yet. I don't even know what to buy yet and I am trying to research that. Anyone who wants to give me some advice I'm all ears (eyes) and will equip my truck appropriately. I'm really interested in learning.

I few weeks ago I had my 2500 power wagon out in the marshes on Amelia Island, FL ripping it up. I had no idea what I was doing but the mud spray and donuts were a lot of fun. Learning how to go out on the trials etc I look very forward too.
A while back there was a pretty decent thread started on this very subject...just found it, and there are probably others...or just look at @Tor148's list to see...

https://www.bronco6g.com/forum/threads/advice-for-would-be-bronco-off-roaders.10779/

Tor148

First Edition
First Name
Tor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 Braptor Bk, 21 FE RR, 15 F250,
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

Hey all! If anyone is interested, I’m going up to AOAA this Sunday 12/12 with a group of experienced off-roading Jeep guys. I probably may be the only Bronco there(unless one of you join) but these guys know the trails well(they basically go here and Rauch several times a year), have all the necessary gear, and have a lot more off roading experience than me. Figured I can learn a lot from them. Let me know if anyone wants to join and I will give you more details.
I may be able to go, DM me

Merc4x4

Badlands
First Name
steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

What time are you meeting?

Riskman37

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Audi S4
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Just beware - when they pull out the cameras and say "hey Bronco, you go first" - don't fall for it! ;)
Lol! Definitely going to let those guys go first! Also most of the difficult trails at AOAA have bail out routes. Definitely not planning on scrapping up my month old Bronco!

Sponsored

Riskman37

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Audi S4
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
It's a bit far or I'd go but the other issue is I don't have any gear or experience, yet. I don't even know what to buy yet and I am trying to research that. Anyone who wants to give me some advice I'm all ears (eyes) and will equip my truck appropriately. I'm really interested in learning.

I few weeks ago I had my 2500 power wagon out in the marshes on Amelia Island, FL ripping it up. I had no idea what I was doing but the mud spray and donuts were a lot of fun. Learning how to go out on the trials etc I look very forward too.
Definitely is a hike to get there! About two hours for me. In terms of gear, you don’t necessarily need to have everything yourself as long as someone in your group does you should be good. Lots of people in this group will have winches and other heavy duty off road gear but much of it won’t be needed. These cars are super capable off road and usually having a front and rear locking differential will get you out of almost any trouble. I went to the Bronco off rodeo in MOAB and after 26 miles of driving off-road on difficult terrain, no cars got stuck and we didn’t use any of the gear. They just gave us a demo on how to use it if needed.

With that said, I personally have a heavy duty Kinetic recovery rope, soft and hard shackles, air compressor, tire repair kit, and shovel. Air compressor is important because when off-roading you will want to air down your tires to 25-30 psi range so you will need to re-inflate them to drive home. Hope that helps!

Merc4x4

Badlands
First Name
steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Bronco already has
  • recovery points
  • full size spare & tools to change (if you modify lift or tires, factory tools may not work)

When going with a group, chances are someone will have
  • rope. i like the kinetic ropes (bubba, yankum)
  • shackles
  • extra radio

I would bring
  • Something to air down the tires with. I use this, but it's slow and holding down the metal release is a pain. Been using it for 5+ years, though. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00DL6T2YK
  • Extra drinking water
  • Warm clothes
  • Baby wipes

Radio
I hate talking on the radio. I used a handheld CB. Horrible range, pretty much useless. A lot of folks are moving to FRS and GMRS. I made do without for a long time, but they are very useful.
I grabbed a Baofeng HAM radio at @Tor148 suggestion. I've been thinking about 1 for a while, they have the frequency coverage for most FM, and no AM CB (which sucks, anyway).
Use with discretion as transmitting on the frequencies the radio covers can be illegal. I've been using it as a scanner at home to listen to the open EMS/LEO transmissions. I'm sure they wouldn't appreciate me transmitting...
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00MAULSOK

I added a tire plug kit.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B06X15JJ4F

Portable compressor b/c I was doing multi-day trips (overlanding). You can usually find a close enough gas station. AOAA has free air, not sure about RC.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005ASY23I

Trail etiquette
http://www.4x4training.com/Articles/DrivingSkills/TrailEtiquette.html

Keep the truck behind you in sight. (Especially important if not everyone has a radio)
Wait for the truck in front of you to clear an obstacle before you attempt it

If you want a spotter, stop and someone will get the idea and help. Or call on the radio ;)
Listen to your spotter
Go as slow as possible, as fast as necessary to clear an obstacle. Speed breaks parts. Spinning tires that suddenly find traction breaks parts.

I use 4L a lot, even if it's not necessary. I find it much easier to control the momentum of the truck.

Manually shifting down gears for descents keeps you from overheating your brakes.

PowPow

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Tahoe
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Manually shifting down gears for descents keeps you from overheating your brakes.
have you tried the trail control or whatever they call it yet? the one pedal driving?

EDIT: this:

BigBronco1

Black Diamond
First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Silverado, 2021 XC90
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
I hope you all have a great time on your upcoming off-road adventure. Merry Christmas from this Bronco loving family! Just need to dress up as Santa on the big day...

BroncoXmas.jpg

Sponsored

PowPow

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Tahoe
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond

Merc4x4

Badlands
First Name
steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

have you tried the trail control or whatever they call it yet? the one pedal driving?

EDIT: this:
No. It's my understanding that feature uses the brakes.

Most of my experience off road is with the G. The only feature it had was disabling traction control and ABS when locking a diff. Engine braking, 4L and 1st gear was usually plenty to keep me from using the brakes.

Whatever Bronco GOAT mode I was using (Mud/Ruts or Rock Crawl, don't recall) did a pretty good job of keeping a lower gear for downhill.

mds5917

Badlands
First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Bronco Badlands, '21 Toyota RAV4 Prime
Your Bronco Model
Badlands

Most of my experience off road is with the G. The only feature it had was disabling traction control and ABS when locking a diff. Engine braking, 4L and 1st gear was usually plenty to keep me from using the brakes.

Whatever Bronco GOAT mode I was using (Mud/Ruts or Rock Crawl, don't recall) did a pretty good job of keeping a lower gear for downhill.
Setting it on “manual 1st gear” (M1) is incredible for controlling speed downhill. They had me demo this at Off-Roadeo to the group and said “don’t touch the brake pedal, no matter how much you think you’ll need it”. He was right (but I had my foot hovering right over the pedal, just in case). It worked amazingly well. Very steep but very controlled.

Vigor

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Bronco already has
  • recovery points
  • full size spare & tools to change (if you modify lift or tires, factory tools may not work)

When going with a group, chances are someone will have
  • rope. i like the kinetic ropes (bubba, yankum)
  • shackles
  • extra radio

I would bring
  • Something to air down the tires with. I use this, but it's slow and holding down the metal release is a pain. Been using it for 5+ years, though. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00DL6T2YK
  • Extra drinking water
  • Warm clothes
  • Baby wipes

Radio
I hate talking on the radio. I used a handheld CB. Horrible range, pretty much useless. A lot of folks are moving to FRS and GMRS. I made do without for a long time, but they are very useful.
I grabbed a Baofeng HAM radio at @Tor148 suggestion. I've been thinking about 1 for a while, they have the frequency coverage for most FM, and no AM CB (which sucks, anyway).
Use with discretion as transmitting on the frequencies the radio covers can be illegal. I've been using it as a scanner at home to listen to the open EMS/LEO transmissions. I'm sure they wouldn't appreciate me transmitting...
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00MAULSOK

I added a tire plug kit.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B06X15JJ4F

Portable compressor b/c I was doing multi-day trips (overlanding). You can usually find a close enough gas station. AOAA has free air, not sure about RC.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005ASY23I

Trail etiquette
http://www.4x4training.com/Articles/DrivingSkills/TrailEtiquette.html

Keep the truck behind you in sight. (Especially important if not everyone has a radio)
Wait for the truck in front of you to clear an obstacle before you attempt it

If you want a spotter, stop and someone will get the idea and help. Or call on the radio ;)
Listen to your spotter
Go as slow as possible, as fast as necessary to clear an obstacle. Speed breaks parts. Spinning tires that suddenly find traction breaks parts.

I use 4L a lot, even if it's not necessary. I find it much easier to control the momentum of the truck.

Great advice. Thank you! I have a radio now
Rausch Creek sneak peek: https://www.bronco6g.com/forum/thre...-badlands-broncos-vs-jeeps-off-roading.30290/

So who's gonna get out and do the video recording of me smashing up my brand new $45k vehicle?

I bought a mount for my GoPro for inside the car, so that'll capture all the cursing that will undoubtedly leave my mouth...
Ill be towing along two spotters.. I'll ask one of them to take ample amounts of video for our group

Don't have rock crawl so mud/ruts it is

Vigor

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Anym
Setting it on “manual 1st gear” (M1) is incredible for controlling speed downhill. They had me demo this at Off-Roadeo to the group and said “don’t touch the brake pedal, no matter how much you think you’ll need it”. He was right (but I had my foot hovering right over the pedal, just in case). It worked amazingly well. Very steep but very controlled.
Anymore off roadeo tips to share for us peons who didnt get to go?
Sponsored