Sponsored

NJ/NY/Delaware/Eastern Pa./MD/Ct Volume Buyers?

How likely are you to Order/Buy when the order banks open in December?

• Total voters

Johnny Mo

Raptor
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Website
teachu2shoot.com
Vehicle(s)
Ford Fusion Energi, Ducati XDiavel
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Clubs

I will tomorrow but in my opinion it's no slouch..
Is it as quick as my explorer sport, no but it doesn't feel far off. I have been driving it every day since I got it and I have not had a any issues with its get up and go.
Car and Driver per their recent article said that with the FE they were in 4th gear by the time they hit 60, so to avoid an extra upshift they started in 2nd and that's how they achieved the 6.3 0-60 sprint.

Fly by Nite

Base
First Name
Walt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1991 F-150 Nite, 2001 Cherokee
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Car and Driver per their recent article said that with the FE they were in 4th gear by the time they hit 60, so to avoid an extra upshift they started in 2nd and that's how they achieved the 6.3 0-60 sprint.
Wonder if the Bronco allows you to power brake to get the boost up at launch..... that can make a HUGE difference in the 0-60 times.
I have a '79 turbo Regal (231 V-6 with a 4 bbl carb and a turbo). It was a blast to drive. From idle at standstill, it took a good two seconds after mashing the pedal to get it up to full boost (15 lbs). But when the boost hit, it would break the rear tires loose at up to 35 mph. Damn that was fun, it got real addicting..... had to feel that 'turbo rush' whenever I took it for a drive.
My Saab 900 SPG turbo is fun to drive too. But the 5 speed stick isn't meant for drag racing, but it's a fun road car, it'll squeal the front tires in 2nd gear when the boost hits. The 5 speeds were a weak link, banging gears would lead to breakage.
I suspect the Bronco turbos are sized/tuned for lots of low-end torque and won't produce the turbo rush I crave.... but I'll bet we'll be able to do some mods to increase the performance.

OP
OP

EvlNvrDys

Banned
Big Bend
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'84 Bronco, '93 Bronco, '94 Bronco, 2012 Mustang
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Wonder if the Bronco allows you to power brake to get the boost up at launch..... that can make a HUGE difference in the 0-60 times.
I have a '79 turbo Regal (231 V-6 with a 4 bbl carb and a turbo). It was a blast to drive. From idle at standstill, it took a good two seconds after mashing the pedal to get it up to full boost (15 lbs). But when the boost hit, it would break the rear tires loose at up to 35 mph. Damn that was fun, it got real addicting..... had to feel that 'turbo rush' whenever I took it for a drive.
My Saab 900 SPG turbo is fun to drive too. But the 5 speed stick isn't meant for drag racing, but it's a fun road car, it'll squeal the front tires in 2nd gear when the boost hits. The 5 speeds were a weak link, banging gears would lead to breakage.
I suspect the Bronco turbos are sized/tuned for lots of low-end torque and won't produce the turbo rush I crave.... but I'll bet we'll be able to do some mods to increase the performance.
Problem with that is, we don't want 0-60 to be drag racing at every light. Not looking to start timing from 2nd gear or power brake at the start. If they have low end torque you'd think they'd jump off the line.

More or less hoping that from a stop, I can hit it and go. If I have to do something special just to get it out of it's own way, then that is a problem. And if that forces me into a tune, well that's bullshit. The more I hear of this, the more I hate turbo engines!

Johnny Mo

Raptor
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Website
teachu2shoot.com
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Clubs

Problem with that is, we don't want 0-60 to be drag racing at every light. Not looking t, o start timing from 2nd gear or power brake at the start. If they have low end torque you'd think they'd jump off the line.

More or less hoping that from a stop, I can hit it and go. If I have to do something special just to get it out of it's own way, then that is a problem. And if that forces me into a tune, well that's bullshit. The more I hear of this, the more I hate turbo engines!
Agreed, I'm not looking for a drag strip vehicle...I just want to know it can get out of its own way. From the test drives I've done it seems capable, now I'm not saying if Ford Perf throws a tune kit and exhaust package out there that I won't be intrigued but if I have a need for speed I've got my bike for that, with half the hp and only 10% of the weight that'll be as fast as I ever need to go.

Sponsored

Merc4x4

Badlands
First Name
steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Good thing all these people are talking about the issues with the soft top rubbing on the roll bar. No way I am getting those ugly ass roll ball covers that will cover up the paint. I think wrapping this around the soft top points of contact where the rubbing is occurring. This and the clear 3m paint protection I will put on the roll bar should work. Sucks I have to do this shit because you would think ford would have been testing this stuff, but apparently they don't only suck with hard tops.

1627518892474.png
The joys of owning a first year Ford Ranger convertible...

Merc4x4

Badlands
First Name
steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I am probably the only one on here that watched a weird ass show called aqua teen hunger force, but it got me thinking of the shake on that show

1627521356199.png
Loved that show!

Merc4x4

Badlands
First Name
steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

It looked like Roman (TFL) brake-torqued the Bronco and it didn't make much difference.

I had an '88 Saab 9000 turbo with the 5-speed. I used to drag race that up and down 202/31. One time I popped the engine off the mount shifting into 2nd gear!

Merc4x4

Badlands
First Name
steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Agreed, I'm not looking for a drag strip vehicle...I just want to know it can get out of its own way. From the test drives I've done it seems capable, now I'm not saying if Ford Perf throws a tune kit and exhaust package out there that I won't be intrigued but if I have a need for speed I've got my bike for that, with half the hp and only 10% of the weight that'll be as fast as I ever need to go.
I'm wary of a tune because I think it might mess with off road driving control. One of the things I don't like so much about my G-Wagen is the touchy throttle and hard shifts. Great fun for hooning, terrible for climbing rocks.

cowinsawdents

First Edition
First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 FE, 19 Raptor
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

At least my pizza tracker is back to telling the truth. Was showing 8/8 delivery for the past week, which seemed like bullshit. I'm guessing it's getting a nice tan in the MAP lot...most likely with a shitbox edition MIC top.

Ford Bronco NJ/NY/Delaware/Eastern Pa./MD/Ct Volume Buyers? 1627559987130

Sponsored

Bronc-OH

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep XK, Jeep WJ
Your Bronco Model
Base
At
At least my pizza tracker is back to telling the truth. Was showing 8/8 delivery for the past week, which seemed like bullshit. I'm guessing it's getting a nice tan in the MAP lot...most likely with a shitbox edition MIC top.

Ford Bronco NJ/NY/Delaware/Eastern Pa./MD/Ct Volume Buyers? 1627559987130
least yours is in decent weather... Meanwhile...
Ford Bronco NJ/NY/Delaware/Eastern Pa./MD/Ct Volume Buyers? 1627561494508

Tor148

First Edition
First Name
Tor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 Braptor Bk, 21 FE RR, 15 F250,
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

So @EvlNvrDys
Downloaded app Drag Race
Did 5 runs on straight pretty flat road on way to work. They are as follows
There is a turbo lag of about .5 to .75 of a second and they she just shits and gits!!
To me, none of this really matters. I have driven my bronco for 16 days straight. Not one did i feel it didnt have enough get up and go. And I drive like a maniac!!! Again, is it my explorer sport ir my VTX 1800, nope. But it does the job in my opinion. Like @Johnny Mo said, if i want speed i will job on my bike or in my explorer.
One thing i will add. I have driven everything from 18 wheelers to bikes to equipment. Everything has a purpose and is good at that, once you start looking to donit all it wont be good at anything! I have taken my bronco off road and driven in the off rodeo, that us where she will shine very brightly, and on the road she does a great job.

Again YMMV!!!

TwinTurboStang

Wildtrak
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Brodiak
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

One of the best ones

One of the best for sure. Not to age myself but I ever had them on dvd for cross country trip in like 2005. So i’m very well-versed

Johnny Mo

Raptor
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Website
teachu2shoot.com
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Clubs

I
I'm wary of a tune because I think it might mess with off road driving control. One of the things I don't like so much about my G-Wagen is the touchy throttle and hard shifts. Great fun for hooning, terrible for climbing rocks.
I'd hope that the Ford Perf tune was GOAT mode specific and really only ramped up the juice in Sport/Normal or Baja modes.