Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 2-dr Badsquatch, 1998 Land Cruiser
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

axle shaft teeth were ground down on the last inch. Likely happened the first time it was put into 4 wheel drive. So waiting on an axle shaft right now.
Unclear how it could be so far unseated as to damage an inch, and still fit together and drive?? Did you by chance take a photo of what it looked like? Asking because my new Bronco has a leaking axle, and wondering if I am about to go through what you did...
You can see mine in the thread I started here https://www.bronco6g.com/forum/threads/leaking-front-axle.34200/

And was yours driver or passenger side??
Sponsored

OP
OP
74Scoutii

74Scoutii

Base
First Name
Evan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Navigator, 2500 Ram, Scout ii, 1500 Ram
Your Bronco Model
Base
Unclear how it could be so far unseated as to damage an inch, and still fit together and drive?? Did you by chance take a photo of what it looked like? Asking because my new Bronco has a leaking axle, and wondering if I am about to go through what you did...
You can see mine in the thread I started here https://www.bronco6g.com/forum/threads/leaking-front-axle.34200/

And was yours driver or passenger side??
Mine was passenger side. I never actually had working 4x4. I tried it out once and it didn’t work for either front wheel. Mine leaked from day 1, seemed to come from the seal where the axle shaft goes into the axle. Gear oil. Was mostly just the oil but some milky appearance, assuming from some snow/salt. Covered the shock and area around the axle shaft with oil. I only drove it 3 times before it went back to the dealer. All was in 2H.

dealer explained that a lot of metal shavings came out when he pulled the shaft out. And the shaft was chewed down to flat on the first inch or so of the shaft.

seems you have a similar issue. Huge bummer. There were some axle shafts available starting 1-28 to ship out, hoping this holds true. Otherwise they were on back order until that date.

1E487200-8816-4123-A2B2-E46B112CE806.jpeg

OP
OP
74Scoutii

74Scoutii

Base
First Name
Evan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Base
I hope you're motor don't suck a valve next .
That’s not funny. I’m a 21281 engine build date. Oct. 8, 2021. Same as the most recent casualty. Makes my blood boil as it’s my wife’s first new vehicle. Now I wonder how my newest vehicle is my least reliable and it’s only only 3 weeks old.
I go out and get in our 1956 F-100 and it never lets me down. It’s had 1 engine rebuild in the 80’s. Otherwise original. And always ready to go. Makes me sick that a 3 week old vehicle has me on edge. Unreal

yippeekiyay

Badlands
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Mine was passenger side. I never actually had working 4x4. I tried it out once and it didn’t work for either front wheel. Mine leaked from day 1, seemed to come from the seal where the axle shaft goes into the axle. Gear oil. Was mostly just the oil but some milky appearance, assuming from some snow/salt. Covered the shock and area around the axle shaft with oil. I only drove it 3 times before it went back to the dealer. All was in 2H.

dealer explained that a lot of metal shavings came out when he pulled the shaft out. And the shaft was chewed down to flat on the first inch or so of the shaft.

seems you have a similar issue. Huge bummer. There were some axle shafts available starting 1-28 to ship out, hoping this holds true. Otherwise they were on back order until that date.

Ford Bronco No 4x4 from the factory 1E487200-8816-4123-A2B2-E46B112CE806
Thanks for that info, Fk Fk Fk not liking the similarities here. I don't understand the milky appearance one bit - screams water and oil mixture which makes just zero sense. Any info on what your differential looked like inside, if they were rebuilding or replacing?

OP
OP
74Scoutii

74Scoutii

Base
First Name
Evan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Base
I don’t have a ton of experience with axles and CV shafts. I’ve replaced a few on quads but have not seen the current issue my Bronco has.
This is my question.
If they plan to replace only the axle shaft which was ground smooth on the teeth of the inner side, is there not a good chance there are metal shavings inside my differential now?
My axle was leaking fluid from the outer seal from the factory. They say the axle shaft never seated in to the axle, meaning the clip never made it to the groove in the axle. So when 4x4 was selected, it spun on the inside but didn’t engage the teeth on the axle shaft but ground them smooth. This created a bunch of shavings. He said there were tons of shavings when they pulled the shaft out.
Wouldn’t a bunch of these shavings have gotten into the gear oil, and then the bearing and then in to the differential? So even a quick drain and fill would not be sufficient if there are shavings in the bearing or in the axle tube. Maybe I’m over thinking this?
Anyone have experience with this? I’m trying to prevent another issue down the road, in other words trying to make sure it’s fixed to last.

Sponsored

yippeekiyay

Badlands
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I don’t have a ton of experience with axles and CV shafts. I’ve replaced a few on quads but have not seen the current issue my Bronco has.
This is my question.
If they plan to replace only the axle shaft which was ground smooth on the teeth of the inner side, is there not a good chance there are metal shavings inside my differential now?
My axle was leaking fluid from the outer seal from the factory. They say the axle shaft never seated in to the axle, meaning the clip never made it to the groove in the axle. So when 4x4 was selected, it spun on the inside but didn’t engage the teeth on the axle shaft but ground them smooth. This created a bunch of shavings. He said there were tons of shavings when they pulled the shaft out.
Wouldn’t a bunch of these shavings have gotten into the gear oil, and then the bearing and then in to the differential? So even a quick drain and fill would not be sufficient if there are shavings in the bearing or in the axle tube. Maybe I’m over thinking this?
Anyone have experience with this? I’m trying to prevent another issue down the road, in other words trying to make sure it’s fixed to last.
YMMV, but if mine comes back with a similar diagnosis they are unequivocally rebuilding or replacing that differential. (plz plz plz don't come back with a similar diagnosis....) Shavings are deadly to tight tolerance gears, bearings and seals.

da_jokker

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JKUR
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

I thought we could pull the axles without exposing a hole into the Diff? I mean how would a trail fix work if you lose all you diff fluid if you have to replace the CV?

Basically if I saw leaking fluid and there were metal shavings, one would conclude that metal got inside the diff and that means new diff.

It's not like they're where where you can just pop the cover off and see.

Silver-Bolt

Wildtrak
First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ford Raptor, 2020 Audi SQ5, 2023 Wildtrak
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

This is my question.
You are spot on. At the least your front diff/axle assembly needs to be disassembled and cleaned. New gaskets/seals. I doubt Ford will pay the labor for that so it will likely be replaced. Simply installing a new half-shaft is not a correct fix. The teeth on the half-shaft mesh with teeth inside. The teeth inside are likely damaged as well.

OP
OP
74Scoutii

74Scoutii

Base
First Name
Evan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Base
Here’s what I’ve been told is happening.

They ordered a new axle shaft and seals and ‘one time use bolts’ to complete the fix.
They will flush the differential and replace all parts and seals, then refill differential. I asked about shavings in the differential and he assured me they will be flushed out with a machine, and not be an issue.

I’m also told the axle shaft is aluminum and the inner axle that accepts it is steel, so there should not be any damage to the inner splines.
I don’t do this every day, so I have to take their word for what will fix the situation. Also, want others with this same issue to have some insight on what to expect.
Hoping to see parts by the end of the week, according to parts delivery. Fingers crossed.

Panaran

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CX5
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
All my miles. Had not tried 4x4 yet due to the leak.
Dealer said to drive a few days and see if the leak stopped. It never stopped during the next 3 days, so I let it sit in the shop till I had a chance to get it back to the dealer, who is 1.5 hours away.

I do wonder how much leaked since it was sitting waiting on delivery. Ughhh
lol "drive your brand new vehicle a few days and see if the leak stops" is probably the shittiest advice a dealer can give you. Proper response would be to bring it in ASAP and dont drive it more than you have to.

Sponsored

Mrpenn46

Badlands
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Badlands - Cactus Gray
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

They ordered a new axle shaft and seals and ‘one time use bolts’ to complete the fix.
They will flush the differential and replace all parts and seals, then refill differential. I asked about shavings in the differential and he assured me they will be flushed out with a machine, and not be an issue.

I’m also told the axle shaft is aluminum and the inner axle that accepts it is steel, so there should not be any damage to the inner splines.
I don’t do this every day, so I have to take their word for what will fix the situation. Also, want others with this same issue to have some insight on what to expect.
Hoping to see parts by the end of the week, according to parts delivery. Fingers crossed.
This is bullshit, the machine sucks as much as it can but it doesn't flush a differential. (Unless they drastically changed the machine design) All they do is use a thin tube to get as deep as possible to suck as much fluid out as it can. Shavings/debris will plug the tube not get sucked out.

At minimum I'd expect them to open the diff and actually flush it out.

Mrpenn46

Badlands
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Badlands - Cactus Gray
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I'm 99.9% sure this is bullshit as well, aluminum is far too soft.

yippeekiyay

Badlands
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Thanks for the continuing updates @74Scoutii, nice to hear things are moving along and not stuck in parts limbo.

Does anyone know if our front differentials are the same as any other Ford units? Would love to broaden the research...

yippeekiyay

Badlands
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

@74Scoutii - sounding like the front diff might not be serviceable, it's sealed and only can be replaced, which is likely why they are telling you they will just flush it. Heck if I know, but worth watching the 2nd video where Bill talks about Ford's response

original thread here
https://www.bronco6g.com/forum/thre...k-goes-full-send-and-breaks-his-bronco.29499/

@evilletruck - have any updates on whether the front diffs are repairable? Different situation in this thread but same core question of what options are out there... thanks!