Sponsored

No BD at KOH seems to be a good marketing tool.

OP
OP
argrin

argrin

Badlands
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Tacoma TRD Offroad, KTM 690 E, Husky FE350
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Likewise, all the BL video and raving at KOH had me seriously thinking about changing my order, but.,,,

I’m doubling down on Black Diamond.

I really think a BD will do everything I’ll want it to and then some. I’m already planning to drop a grand on Bilstein Position Sensitive shocks and another $1500 on 33s. If I need more lift or wheel travel, I’ll modify the suspension. In the end I may spend the same as or more than a BL, but it’ll be my custom build.

Thanks for starting this thread. It helped me come back to earth.
Very reasonable. I value ‘good value’ and I think the BD is where it is at. Still doesn’t make the decision easy. 2.5-3k on shocks and tires puts it within a couple grand of the BL where I am 100% sure I wouldn’t need nor want any upgrades.
Sponsored

MoabRox

Black Diamond
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Two Jeep XJs, Dodge M880, Suburban 2500
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Very reasonable. I value ‘good value’ and I think the BD is where it is at. Still doesn’t make the decision easy. 2.5-3k on shocks and tires puts it within a couple grand of the BL where I am 100% sure I wouldn’t need nor want any upgrades.
Sounds like you know what you want, and it makes sense too. The BL looks to be a very capable 4x4 right out of the box.
As for me, I enjoy “building” my 4x4s, often doing a lot of the work myself. This Bronco is going to be fun on many levels.

Lonestar777

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I added Sasquatch to my Black Diamond build. It was a combination of those videos plus the pictures in the thread showing the red 4D Black Diamond on the steelies. This is a lot of money for a vehicle, and I want to love it. I realized I would feel regret every time I climbed into it if I didn't go ahead with the Sasquatch. Best of both worlds in my opinion.

shoelessjoe

Badlands
First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Chevy Cruze
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I've watched the videos as someone who has a BD non squach on order and i understand what you are going through. How cool is it that those Broncos are doing that and have all that capability. Then, i thought about it and realized i will never be doing that kind of driving in that kind of terrain here in Colorado. I would never use it, and I'm new to offroading anyway, so I'm sticking with the BD and will do the ford performance suspension package later which I'm hoping includes some great shocks as well. BL is one badass machine though, just overkill for me and i had to make the decision.
Colorado at your disposal and not going to use all those bells and whistles?!?!?!?!?!

Lowcountry Bronco

Heritage
First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Ranger and Toyota FJ Cruiser
Your Bronco Model
Heritage
Clubs

I'm going against the grain on this and thinking that a base BD would easily be able to do the same course that the BL did at KOH. Are there some exceptions? sure, but what really did they do that couldn't have been done with the base suspension and no front locker or sway-bar connect? Yes the Bilsteins and bigger tires are going to be more supple over bumps and the Baja mode sets all the settings but can't those also be made manually by just turning on and off the hero buttons?

Weren't there base and BD trims in the previous ride-along as well as the Rubicon videos? Not saying the BL and Sasquatch don't give you all the tools and bragging rights but so many are going to be paying twice on their builds upgrading, that for some, starting with a clean original slate and deciding what's missing for their needs might be the better option.

Sponsored

1st4rd

Badlands
First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Crosstrek, Tundra
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

The videos sold me on the BL for sure. Shame it's not in my budget. I'll be sticking with my peasant BD. LOL
After that 7MT Badlands report from KOH I got thrown into a crisis about my build and for a good day and a half I was lusting after the Badlands again - High package and all. The fever broke and I am back to my BD build.

Bronco4lyfe85

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Challenger Scat Pack
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Badlands is the best model.

OP
OP
argrin

argrin

Badlands
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Tacoma TRD Offroad, KTM 690 E, Husky FE350
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I'm going against the grain on this and thinking that a base BD would easily be able to do the same course that the BL did at KOH. Are there some exceptions? sure, but what really did they do that couldn't have been done with the base suspension and no front locker or sway-bar connect? Yes the Bilsteins and bigger tires are going to be more supple over bumps and the Baja mode sets all the settings but can't those also be made manually by just turning on and off the hero buttons?

Weren't there base and BD trims in the previous ride-along as well as the Rubicon videos? Not saying the BL and Sasquatch don't give you all the tools and bragging rights but so many are going to be paying twice on their builds upgrading, that for some, starting with a clean original slate and deciding what's missing for their needs might be the better option.
You are probably correct on the BD capabilities and it seems you could put it in sport mode and switch manually to 4H and get some of Baja. I don't think I have seen a BD in a ride along yet. If I could see one in person and watch a ride along off road, that would go a long way.

Bronco4lyfe85

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Challenger Scat Pack
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Plus, it’s engineered by people smarter than you and it’s under warranty! It’s similar to people who buy sports cars and say, “well I’ll just supercharge it.” 15K later and with reliability issues, it isn’t worth it.

Most times factory builds are just better and less trouble.

Nobody

Badlands
First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.snowtrek.org
Vehicle(s)
1970 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
The upgraded shocks are going to allow you to go faster for longer. The standard shock will handle a whoop here and there just fine, but will fade and eventually blow out with any sustained beating.

A base model could easily run the entire KOH ride along course, just slower, and not all day every day for a week straight! Good Stuff!

Sponsored

gentlemanbronco

Base
First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ford fiesta 5.0
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Funny thing, I immediately gravitated towards the BD because of the vinyl seats and the bumpers and bits BUT..... I'm now on the BaseSquatch train. Running the numbers I can afford a basesquatch easier and just add on whatever bumpers I want later and for probably cheaper than financing them in the price with Ford. Plus I don't think I'll enjoy a hot vinyl seat during the summer here in Texas.

Maineah

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Edge
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Interesting options. I really want the mid for some daily driving comfort so that is what pushed me up to BD. Probably what I should do is BD mid to keep price down from BL, and if the suspension is not cutting it I can put on aftermarket shocks and 33s.
My exact decision as well...

5280Bronco

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
02 Mustang GT, 05 Volvo V70R, 17 Mazda 6
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Colorado at your disposal and not going to use all those bells and whistles?!?!?!?!?!
I eventually will try, but there are no wide open desert areas, etc like those videos here in Colorado as much. Lower speeds here are more common. I also prefer the interior of the BD over the BL, even though they are small differences. No doubt the BL is the better trim level, but the better one for me? That's less obvious in my mind.

5280Bronco

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
02 Mustang GT, 05 Volvo V70R, 17 Mazda 6
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Badlands is the best model.
Agreed. I also couldn't afford the terminator when i bought my Mustang GT, and I still enjoy it to this day. I kinda look at this the same way.

Lowcountry Bronco

Heritage
First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Ranger and Toyota FJ Cruiser
Your Bronco Model
Heritage
Clubs

You are probably correct on the BD capabilities and it seems you could put it in sport mode and switch manually to 4H and get some of Baja. I don't think I have seen a BD in a ride along yet. If I could see one in person and watch a ride along off road, that would go a long way.
Here's the ride experience, there is a BD but it's squatched however looks like a BB is in the mix on standard suspension. Looking at Rubicon videos they were all squatched or BLs that I could see.

https://www.bronco6g.com/forum/thre...ion-and-baja-race-plans-announced.3830/page-5
Sponsored