Sponsored

No Mid Package or above with CoPilot 360 - Does the Bronco feel safe?

XirallicBolts

Outer Banks
First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Flex EcoBoost, 2010 Milan
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Mentioned it before, but people make mistakes. I learned to drive in a Dodge cargo van with no safety beyond a driver airbag, but i fully embrace all the modern features. They're quite nice provided you understand how they work and their limitations.

The camera constantly monitors both sides of the road for pedestrians.
The radar can detect slower cars when you're blinded by the sun on the horizon.
The radar can detect the car driving with their headlights off at night.
BLIS warns you about the smaller car hovering in your blind spot (with headlight out naturally).
The radar warns you the car ahead of you is suddenly stopping before you have a chance to realize their brake lights are out.

As a proper driver, you turn your head and look at your blind spot before making a lane change and whoops -- while your head was turned, a deer just ran out in front of you, or a car pulls out of the Big Lots driveway. Your attention (and eyes) were momentarily on the area behind your car, not watching the road ahead of you.

Maybe you hear sirens and are glancing in the mirrors, trying to see where the ambulance is. It only takes a moment for the car ahead of you to see the ambulance and suddenly hit *their* brakes while you are looking at your side mirror.

I recall one time, i was looking at the car ahead of me at a red light. Turns green, i start to pull forward. They stopped suddenly. Even though i was staring directly at their car, it didn't register in my mind they were stopping again until the alert went off.

Nobody would've been hurt, but collision warning prevented new bumpers and an insurance claim

Ford Bronco No Mid Package or above with CoPilot 360 - Does the Bronco feel safe? 487086
Sponsored

Last edited:
OP
OP
mlcinema

mlcinema

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Off Road
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Crotchety keyboard warriors love to answer questions that weren't asked with their overly compensated opinions from the perch of an old soap box. I am curious too. Thank the lord, I have only been in 1 at fault accident that didn't cause any harm or damage but I still think the auto braking in my current vehicle has saved me once or twice.

For the record I learned to drive in a 95 Bronco. I also learned basic maintenance on it because it broke religiously at least once a month.
Iā€˜ve only been in one accident also, hope it stays that way! Iā€™m starting to think I may stick with a trim that will allow the mid package. šŸ¤”

Moto26

Black Diamond
First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 F150 4x4 SuperCab STX -- 2016 Yamaha XSR900
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Does it come with that stupid back passenger sensor?
Ya know, in case you forget your kid is back there.
šŸ¤£ I hope not!
That feature can be turned off in Settings. šŸ˜‰

However, if you have young children you may want to leave it on. Thereā€™s nothing more tragic than watching the news and seeing a story about a parent leaving their baby in a hot car to die.

(And PLEASE spare me the pontification about how people who do that are ā€œtoo stupid to have kidsā€. If every potential parent had to go through a qualification panel, virtually no one would pass the test. We all do the best we can.)

Jdc

Badlands
First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Wow, Iā€™m 58, and I must have grown up in a different part of the country than some of you guys, ā€˜cuz I donā€™t remember being surrounded by these ā€œperfect driversā€ youā€™re describing, who always ā€œpaid attentionā€. Maybe itā€™s because Iā€™ve ridden motorcycles for all those years, but I certainly remember plenty of people pulling out in front of me, swerving into my lane, crashing into each other, etc. And they didnā€™t have any electronic driver aids or cell phones to distract them back then, so how was that possible??

/s

In any case, I donā€™t have a problem with most of these features. Seatbelts and airbags are proven life-savers. Antilock brakes are a blessing, no matter how good you are as a driver, especially on roads that arenā€™t clean and dry. Back-up cameras are an amazing invention, and if you say you are better off without them, frankly youā€™re full of shit. Rear bumper sensors are pretty cool. Just today we were backing out a tight parking spot, and a car came whizzing by before our camera could spot it, and we couldnā€™t see it directly, but our little beeper went off and we were able to keep from getting tagged. The BLIS system is pretty handy, because thereā€™s always someone who manages to sneak up and park in your blind spot, no matter how carefully youā€™re paying attention.

All of the above, by the way, are included in our BD with Mid package. I'm not complaining...
You nailed it. Aside from inattentive drivers there are tons of situations that come that can cause accidents and these are things that have existed before everyone had a cellphone in their hand. Every year there are accidents from something as simple as sun glare. Even those the most attentive driver will take their eyes off the road occasionally and it only takes a split second to cause an accident.

Funny story time, I was stationed on Camp Pendleton in the early 2000s and I was driving off base when I saw a car on its side in a ditch. I turned around to check and see if the driver was ok and it turned out to be a guy in my unit. I asked him what happened and he said he fumbled a CD as he was entering a turn, he looked up and noticed he was about to drive into a ditch. He overcorrected a couple of times....and ended up in a ditch.

zombie

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Badlands (7spd) 2022 Mustang GT PP
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

You have to turn "on" the auto high beam feature by turning on high beams, turning on again to cycle through selections. I believe they work very well and they appear to be speed sensitive in that they will dim if you are under 35 mph and no oncoming traffic, or it's my imagination
Not on my Bronco you don't. When auto high beams is enabled, it turned my high beams on when the stalk was set to low beams.

Sponsored

Southern Girl

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1974 Bronco/2023 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Same way you OBX comes with all the safety features. :cautious:
Dude, what does that sentence even mean? If you are going to complain, or whatever that was, at least do it in plain English.

Have you NEVER driven a vehicle without all these devices and technology?

Last edited:
OP
OP
mlcinema

mlcinema

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Off Road
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Dude, what does that sentence even mean? If you are going to complain, or whatever that was, at least do it in plain English.

Have you NEVER driven a vehicle without all these devices and technology?
šŸ¤£ ya. šŸ™„ Funny people on this forum.

Of course I have! But someone with a Bronco that has all the safety features shouldnā€™t attempt to be funny. Iā€™m just simply asking opinions of people that donā€™t have them.

Last edited:
Reactions: Jdc

Southern Girl

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1974 Bronco/2023 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

But someone with a Bronco that has all the safety features shouldnā€™t attempt to be funny.
You arenā€™t the boss of me.

I donā€™t need no stinkin safety features. I am the safety feature, pal.