Sponsored

No Mid Package or above with CoPilot 360 - Does the Bronco feel safe?

zombie

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Badlands (7spd) 2022 Mustang GT PP
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Wait what!? What exactly do these things do? I assumed it let you drive with high beams and would automatically turn them off temporarily for oncoming traffic. No?
No, it literally turns your high-beams on when you've got them set to low unless it detects a vehicle in front of you.
Sponsored

67BroncoG1

Base
First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 2D Squatch, '67 Bronco, '24 Grenadier -ordered
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Hello All,

For those without CoPilot 360, does the Bronco feel safe while driving? Or do you feel safe while driving it? Maybe I’m to used to all the new safety tech in modern Vehicles.
How old are you? I grew up when cars still had carburetors and manual transmissions. My 20 something year old sons all had to learn on an old suburban without parking sensors or backup cameras. It made them better drivers. Relying on electronics to make you feel safe isn't really "safe".

kevin.gt

Base
First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

No, it literally turns your high-beams on when you've got them set to low unless it detects a vehicle in front of you.
Ugh that stinks. i just want them auto dimming, not completely automated high beam control. If I’m manually using the high beams, will it still auto dim, or only when in autonomous high beam mode?

OP
OP
mlcinema

mlcinema

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Off Road
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

How old are you? I grew up when cars still had carburetors and manual transmissions. My 20 something year old sons all had to learn on an old suburban without parking sensors or backup cameras. It made them better drivers. Relying on electronics to make you feel safe isn't really "safe".
My first car was a 1990 Mustang. I know how to drive. That’s not the point though. When you are used to something, your used to it. My last 3 cars have had all the new safety tech. Some are nice. Some are not. Just asking how the Bronco owners felt without it. Well, at least BD and below without CoPilot360.

zombie

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Ugh that stinks. i just want them auto dimming, not completely automated high beam control. If I’m manually using the high beams, will it still auto dim, or only when in autonomous high beam mode?
Unfortunately I can't answer that because it was so annoying when I was driving to work in town that I turned it off before I had to chance to get out on the highway or a back road to see how it worked there.
The way it works it completely backwards to how most people would want them to work, IMO.

Sponsored

VictoryLights

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Pilot
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

One of the first things I disabled, personally... It's so dumb. It would be nice if it auto-dimmed the high beams when they were on.
Nothing like driving in town giving the (very bright) high beam to every pedestrian you meet.
I can see this feature being useless in the city, but living outside of the city on rural roads it’s amazing. I won’t buy another vehicle without it.

A lot of the roads out by me have no lighting and just enough traffic to make turning tour high beams on/off annoying.

Gotdesl

Badlands
First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ram 3500 Megacab 4x4
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I actually really like the auto high beams in the Bronco. While the Bronco defaults to auto headlights, it's easily overridden by the stalk and then it stays off until you turn it back on or restart the vehicle. That said, I am not in a very busy city so it might not seem so great in a different situation. It seems very sensitive to light and sometimes dims based off of a reflection but I've never had it turn the brights on when inappropriate. I would rather it mistakenly dim inappropriately than blind oncoming traffic and it seems to do that well. As far as dimming for pedestrians, I would think you would have to do that anyway since there isn't any light to detect.

zombie

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I actually really like the auto high beams in the Bronco. While the Bronco defaults to auto headlights, it's easily overridden by the stalk and then it stays off until you turn it back on or restart the vehicle. That said, I am not in a very busy city so it might not seem so great in a different situation. It seems very sensitive to light and sometimes dims based off of a reflection but I've never had it turn the brights on when inappropriate. I would rather it mistakenly dim inappropriately than blind oncoming traffic and it seems to do that well. As far as dimming for pedestrians, I would think you would have to do that anyway since there isn't any light to detect.
Yes I get that, but it would make much more sense to call it "auto dimming" headlights and have it dim automatically when the high beams are selected than to have it turn the high beams on when you've got the stalk in low beam.

I don't know what you experienced, but I couldn't override the auto high-beams with the stalk on my BL.

FlyingBronco

Badlands
First Name
The Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I honestly think all the tech these days takes away from the overall driving experience… but I do love that 12” screen!

jrstorm1007

Big Bend
First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco, 2007 Ford Edge
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

I have the Mid package and never had tech like lane keeping, BLIS or auto high beams before....nor never really needed them either, but they are very nice to have and just adds that extra safety that's welcome.

Sponsored

rhymeswithbronco

Black Diamond
First Name
Stewart
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1966 F-100
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
The illusion of safety depends on what you find threatening I guess. I found the nannies on my wife's loaded Kia Sorento tiresome and distracting more than anything. I was constantly scanning to dash trying to figure out if the settings were correct, what widget was flashing or dinging at me, and so on. About the only semi-useful thing was the blind spot monitoring because the thing had such wide roof pillars and no blind spot mirrors. The auto dim headlights worked well but seriously wasn't necessary tech. We unloaded it about a year ago and haven't looked back since. In my '66 F100 there are zero distractions because the AM radio doesn't work, and I have a clear view 360 degrees around me by simply turning my head. It's a beautiful, almost zen experience compared to today's techno-appliances.

Gotdesl

Badlands
First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ram 3500 Megacab 4x4
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Yes I get that, but it would make much more sense to call it "auto dimming" headlights and have it dim automatically when the high beams are selected than to have it turn the high beams on when you've got the stalk in low beam.

I don't know what you experienced, but I couldn't override the auto high-beams with the stalk on my BL.
Mine definitely can be turned off from the use of the stalk. I completely understand your frustration from your experience. There was another thread earlier dealing with the auto headlights with other owners also able to disable the auto function from the stalk. Might be something to have the dealer check out for you.

BOLD Renegade93

Black Diamond
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco Black Diamond
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

You can disable the auto high-beams in the settings page on your infotainment screen. Did that soon after finding out that they auto turn on normally!

zombie

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

You can disable the auto high-beams in the settings page on your screen. Did that soon after finding out that they auto turn on normally!
Well yes I know you can turn it off, I did that immediately upon finding out how annoying it was. You made it sound like there was a temporary way to disable it using the headlight stalk.

Happy

Black Diamond
First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CJ5, Wagoneer
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
OP, some like the features others do not.
Same as with marine grade vinyl seat, 35 inch tires, skid plates , G.O.A.T. modes, auto transmission/7 speed transmission, ........................ >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
Heck, some even don't like that it is Ford.
Sponsored