PSUTE

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sierra
Your Bronco Model
Base
My experience is that is that once you spend a little time in a vehicle, you need the clutch to launch and to stop and no where in between unless you have an oops moment...
Sponsored

kodiakisland

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
12 Tacoma, 18 Indian, 23 GV70
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

This thread is baffling. People saying a manual can wear out fast off road if you "don't know what you're doing" and saying Toyota clutches wear out fast is just incredulous to me. I put 260,000 miles on my 4Runner, between me and my wife driving it, sold it with the original clutch. lot of off road, on mining roads out west, through deep rivers, up steep mountain gravel hills. Not sure if I knew what I was doing or not, not really sure HOW you'd NOT know what to do. Current Mazda 3 has 240,000 original clutch. B2000 had 200K plus - original clutch. The only manual I ever had to replace a clutch in was my SHO Taurus, and one time it just was a broken linkage. Other time was worn, about 150,000 miles. Whoever said the manuals are being worn out after a few hundred miles at a off rodeo, is blowing smoke.
So just to be clear, since I’m the one that posted it, do you find me or Toyota to be incredulous?
I gave you the TSB that said Toyota would replace the clutch on 05-13 Tacomas under warranty. You think they would replace a wear item on their dime if there was no issue? Just for fun?

Last edited:

AZshot

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vintage Motorcycles, F-150, various other
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

I'm talking about my 4runner, much older than the range you quote. Don't ask me what I think of you, you might not get the answer that you wanted to...

4D-Beach

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 CG Badlands 4dr st 2.3l 7mt mid ppf
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I'm talking about my 4runner, much older than the range you quote. Don't ask me what I think of you, you might not get the answer that you wanted to...
…Oh Well

ChetC

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Big Bend
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Sent back to Ford? The land where very few Broncos escape? You’d think they’d have contracted with a repair shop close to each off rodeo. Then again Ford has shown that it hasn’t thought once about anything when it comes to the Bronco release.
Or, the Broncos are owned by Ford and were swapped out for Broncos with automatic transmissions so sending them to a local repair shop would have been a waste of time and money.

I also seriously doubt the Broncos were returned to Ford with the clutches burned out. I'd put my money on them being returned to Ford and replaced with automatics because the instructors were tired of dealing with folks stalling the Bronco 500 times because they were unfamiliar with manual transmissions.

"Ok, let out on the clutch slowly and... that's ok, just start it up and try again. No, just let out on the clutch sloooooowly. Whoops. It's fine, it's a little tricky. Just start it up and try again, this time... Ooo, close. Start it back up and this time let out slowly while giving it a little more throttle. NOT THAT MUCH THROTTLE! Whew, almost got away from you there. Go ahead and start it up again and this time... Now sloooow... Well, you almost had it that time. You're getting the hang of this, I can tell. Go ahead and start it up again..."

Last edited:

Sponsored
OP
OP
P52Ranch

P52Ranch

Badlands
First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2DR 7MT Badlands, F150 Lightning, New Holland 4030
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Or, the Broncos are owned by Ford and were swapped out for Broncos with automatic transmissions so sending them to a local repair shop would have been a waste of time and money.

I also seriously doubt the Broncos were returned to Ford with the clutches burned out. I'd put my money on them being returned to Ford and replaced with automatics because the instructors were tired of dealing with folks stalling the Bronco 500 times because they were unfamiliar with manual transmissions.

"Ok, let out on the clutch slowly and... that's ok, just start it up and try again. No, just let out on the clutch sloooooowly. Whoops. It's fine, it's a little tricky. Just start it up and try again, this time... Ooo, close. Start it back up and this time let out slowly while giving it a little more throttle. NOT THAT MUCH THROTTLE! Whew, almost got away from you there. Go ahead and start it up again and this time... Now sloooow... Well, you almost had it that time. You're getting the hang of this, I can tell. Go ahead and start it up again..."
Hopefully someone didn’t attend Off-Roadeo with the expectation of being taught how to drive a stick. With the crawler gear in 4L I don’t see how you could stall it except if you were up against a boulder.

The feedback I got from more than one person was the clutches were toasted.

OP
OP
P52Ranch

P52Ranch

Badlands
First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Don’t you have co-drivers at these events?
Any guests who are over 18 and have a drivers license can drive the Bronco.

An inexperienced off-road / manual transmission driver could easily smoke the clutch with all of the creeping along in the conga line as you move from obstacle to obstacle. (The off-roadeo folks want you to stay within a car length or so to keep the group together.)

AZshot

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vintage Motorcycles, F-150, various other
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

ChetC, funny, and likely why they moved to just autos. Another unsubstantiated rumor, based on guesswork, gains replies.

I say again: I've seldom seen a clutch get "smoked" by being used. I have over a million miles on clutches/standard drives myself.

bigtexyahoocom

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2002 S2000
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Any guests who are over 18 and have a drivers license can drive the Bronco.

An inexperienced off-road / manual transmission driver could easily smoke the clutch with all of the creeping along in the conga line as you move from obstacle to obstacle. (The off-roadeo folks want you to stay within a car length or so to keep the group together.)
But without anyone from Ford in the car? Genuine question I haven’t been. Do the Ford employees just stay outside and help the group spot?

Sponsored

broncoj11

Badlands
First Name
Trunks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Nissan Frontier Pro 4X
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I’m really wanting to go to an off rodeo but my order is 99’d. Do I still get to go for free

OP
OP
P52Ranch

P52Ranch

Badlands
First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
But without anyone from Ford in the car? Genuine question I haven’t been. Do the Ford employees just stay outside and help the group spot?
None of the Off-Roadeo trail guides were ever in our Bronco. There was a Trail Guide and an assistant guide in our group of about 12 Bronco's. The trail guide was generally riding in the front Bronco.

Certainly the Bronco driver in the front vehicle got more feedback from the trail guide than those of us listening on the radio. Each Bronco had a walkie talkie onboard. The trail guide would get out at obstacles provide hand signals and directions as needed and then hop back in a Bronco to continue on the trail ride. The assistant would do the same.

My wife and I were in a 2 door which was not conducive to the guides hopping into so we never had them in our Bronco.

On the second day (or what would be the afternoon on a one day program) we covered about six miles of trail. The guides would ride along between obstacles.

bigtexyahoocom

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2002 S2000
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
None of the Off-Roadeo trail guides were ever in our Bronco. There was a Trail Guide and an assistant guide in our group of about 12 Bronco's. The trail guide was generally riding in the front Bronco.

Certainly the Bronco driver in the front vehicle got more feedback from the trail guide than those of us listening on the radio. Each Bronco had a walkie talkie onboard. The trail guide would get out at obstacles provide hand signals and directions as needed and then hop back in a Bronco to continue on the trail ride. The assistant would do the same.

My wife and I were in a 2 door which was not conducive to the guides hopping into so we never had them in our Bronco.

On the second day (or what would be the afternoon on a one day program) we covered about six miles of trail. The guides would ride along between obstacles.
Thanks for the explanation! That helps a lot. Certainly room for people to abuse clutches with that setup

OP
OP
P52Ranch

P52Ranch

Badlands
First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I’m really wanting to go to an off rodeo but my order is 99’d. Do I still get to go for free
You should be able to attend. I have not received my Bronco either and still went. You end up paying a couple of hundred dollars to attend if you don't have your Bronco yet but that is supposed to be refunded once you get your Bronco.

It is well worth going even before you get your Bronco. You can compare 2 doors and 4 doors, , Squatch and Badlands without Squatch, Other models are all squatched, etc. It may even cause you to re-think what you are ordering.

broncoj11

Badlands
First Name
Trunks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Nissan Frontier Pro 4X
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

You should be able to attend. I have not received my Bronco either and still went. You end up paying a couple of hundred dollars to attend if you don't have your Bronco yet but that is supposed to be refunded once you get your Bronco.

It is well worth going even before you get your Bronco. You can compare 2 doors and 4 doors, , Squatch and Badlands without Squatch, Other models are all squatched, etc. It may even cause you to re-think what you are ordering.
Awesome thank you
Sponsored