Brent
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
MY22 Wildtrak
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

I live in a state that still has freedom (not a political statement ಠ_ಠ ).

If I wanted a tune for the 2.7 and did not care at all about emissions or CARB compliance, what would you all suggest?
If the current administration has its way this is coming to all our states. I believe there is a bill that is being passed around that stops all of this.
Sponsored

bishop0577

Base
First Name
Robb
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco 4 door base/sqatch
Your Bronco Model
Base
Apparently this is a new twist. If you have EVER loaded a tune, the smog Nazis will know, even if you put it back to stock and fail you (even if all emission monitors turned on and working fine). Then you have to pay Ford to reset this indicator.

Yes, unlikely Ford would be selling a tune that is not emission compliant. That said, Roush (which might as well be Ford), sells 3 different versions of their blower setup for my 14 Stang GT. Only the mildest with the closed air cleaner assembly is CARB approved.
CARB is the worst. Same people who won't let you change an exhaust on a motorcycle newer than 2013. Now no tune for Cali? Trumpet fail.

BroncoBuckaroo

Badlands
First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017GT350-SOLD, 2013 Ford Edge, 1969 Torino Cobra
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

BroncoBuckaroo

Badlands
First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017GT350-SOLD, 2013 Ford Edge, 1969 Torino Cobra
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

If the current administration has its way this is coming to all our states. I believe there is a bill that is being passed around that stops all of this.
rpm act

BadSquatch21

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Land Rover and Porsches; '22 Mansquatch
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Just do what everyone else does (especially in arizona). open an LLC in the state of Montana, and register your vehicle there, as it's not required to have emissions. :-D

Makes me wonder if anyone's got piggyback tune modules for the Ranger/Bronco, vs something that loads directly into the ECU. There's a ton of applications out there for the MED17, so it wouldn't surprise me. The ESS module I've got on my 335 is 1000% undetectable via the OBD port, but poking around under the hood and you'd find it pretty quickly. But it's nice to be able to take the thing off in about five minutes and be bone stock.
Just going to recommend this. Also can make SXS's street legal this way and avoid paying taxes when purchased.

Sponsored

BrentC

Badlands
First Name
Brent
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 F150 Sport, 2021 Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
CARB is the worst. Same people who won't let you change an exhaust on a motorcycle newer than 2013. Now no tune for Cali? Trumpet fail.
Some of my motorcycle road race buddies took their modded bikes to Laguna Seca a few years back. They have a sound recorder at the start/finish line measuring exhaust noise. Our bikes are modded with track exhaust and my friends were sound checked in the pits. They were told their bikes failed the test (too loud) but since they drove 2 days to get to Laguna they had a hack - they had to chop their throttles at the start/finish line and coast past the measuring station. Killed lap times but at least they got to ride the Corkscrew!

GoTigersGoBronco

Badlands
First Name
Zachary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota 4Runner
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Moving forward, the automakers are going to lock down more and more of the engine/infotainment computing. I can think of plenty of reasons. The era of “tuning” is coming to a close.

mpeugeot

Outer Banks
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
97 Ferrari F355, 11 Ford F-150, 21 OBX 2D
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
CA (aka the nanny state) is a horrid place to try and do business as an automotive performance business. I have worked to get a CARB compliance EO# in the past, what a damn nightmare (and it wasn't cheap). Like the handgun roster, even if you make a subtle non-substantive change, go back to square one to pass certification. Same turbo, but the manufacturer changed the part number or same car but different year of manufacture? Go jail, go directly to jail, do not pass go, do not collect $200. It's ridiculous, and yes, it's a direct result of the government running amok (in other words, it's 100% political).
Sponsored