Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Fords
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Clubs

FYI for Ford PCMs are VIN locked and cal to PATS. yeah you can get two PCMS but your gonna have to pay some money to get a duplicate.

OP
OP

OX1

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
59 Bird, 70, 74, 78, 79 Broncos, 84 LTD 331 w/Vortech, 86 Capri 5.0 turbo, 14 Stang GT, 17 Fusion Sport
Your Bronco Model
Undecided

lobbs611

Badlands
First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2D JL Rubicon
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

No one is going to tune it?
There will very likely still be some big names willing to go thru the EO process and make a legal tune. Ford could easily offer a 50-state legal one if they chose to.

Sponsored

Rick Astley

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
d
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
No one is going to tune it? The problem with saying well screw Cali, is their disease is infectious.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/poli...ad-on-vehicle-emissions-standards/ar-BB1e5wLD
I genuinely hope whoever thinks they are a "tuner" and can't either bypass emissions control (so much easier with pre-2005 OBDII), or comply with the testing of standards gets the credit they deserve. This guy is trying to get the word out that he's an uninformed customer and shouldn't have gone the direction he did.

That this guy paid for an emissions illegal tune and failed emissions is not exactly news. There are plenty of legal and valid tuning options. Most, if not all, will be outside the state of California.

If you live in CA and will register your car in CA, then you will need to pass CA emissions regs. I'm not seeing this as "news" that somebody failed, or wanted to bring it up as some sort of political bent.

JesseS

Badlands
First Name
Jesse
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jayco AY26, Honda F6B, CR-V
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

This is not new, carb has banned performance tunes in Calif for years, and getting around it is simple. A friend uses his M/H outside calif most all of the time he wanted to tune the V10v3 to gain that lost 50HP, so he had the tuner with loaded tune shipped to a out of state friend who forwarded it to him. As the SCT tuner stores the original tune it is only a 5 minute job to restore it prior to getting the engine tuned up or a smog check.

Portapot

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Cj7, RX350, f250,
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Wait until they are all electric and the government just turns your car off when they don't like something.....if all our cars are dependent on the Grid imagine the control they will have.

pan-y-cerveza

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tacoma Pro
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

So this guy put in a tune that wasn't legal in his state and then is surprised it doesn't pass?

Politics and state regulations aside you need to do your homework.

This is like straight-piping your vehicle and then blaming "the man" when you fail.

Sponsored
OP
OP

OX1

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
59 Bird, 70, 74, 78, 79 Broncos, 84 LTD 331 w/Vortech, 86 Capri 5.0 turbo, 14 Stang GT, 17 Fusion Sport
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
There will very likely still be some big names willing to go thru the EO process and make a legal tune. Ford could easily offer a 50-state legal one if they chose to.
Of course you would think eventually they would. But if this deal is what it appears, I'm screwed on 2 processors already. I don't think there is one 2.7 EO tune yet, is there? I hope this is just a Cali thing, but Jersey loves them some Cali regs.

Anyway, just a heads up to keep an eye on how this unravels, to those who might be tuning right away (which is not that far off these days).

QuitPlayinWithYourDingy

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Rav4 V6
Your Bronco Model
Base
Hasnt this always been a thing?

Don't tune your car in a state that frowns upon it... seems pretty easy.

adamruiz2001

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford SVT Lightning
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

I went through this two years ago on my Lightning, quit a few Lightnings in the state of Cali were flagged at Smog stations, telling us to have our trucks inspected by a local smog ref, I failed because of all my mods and tune. I always keep my stock parts I take off, so I just had to put the truck back to stock with the stock tune and passed. After that, I put all my bolt on mods back on, but my smog legal tune back in the truck. I just made sure all my monitors were set. I had smog this year already and passed without issue. You only have to have the OEM tune when your vehicle is randomly selected to get smogged by a ref. I doubt the Bronco will be flagged, but who knows, most vehicles having to go to a ref station are the higher performance vehicles that are known to be modified. I am on a Lightning forum and I know of about 50 others that had to same issue I went through two years ago with their Lightnings.

The Bronze

First Edition
First Name
Kelly
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1986 Suzuki Samurai, 1967 Ford Bronco, 1993 Turbo Notchback, 2006 Sierra K1500, 2013 Sierra K1500, 2014 Sienna Mini-Van
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

This was an example of a bad tune. If the tune leaves the testing strategies alone, keep all the codes reporting and allows all OBD monitors to complete, this type of fail won’t occur. There is a difference between creating a tune that alters shifts, wot fueling and spark timing and creating a tune designed to defeat the emissions testing portion of the ECU altogether.

csj

Outer Banks
First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 Tacoma OR
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
FWIW, I took a look at the Ford Factory "power pack performance calibration" for the Ranger, it says 50 states legal and specifically notes it has Kali "carb" approval, so hopefully any such factory tune for the Bronco 2.7 will also be 50 states legal. Probably good enough for me.
Sponsored