Sponsored

No offroad experience: how important is a front locker for my use?

midwestpilot

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Equator
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I can't make a decision on anything, but I am currently trying to decide between a BB MID non SAS and BL non SAS LUX. The only really important thing between the two is a decent sound system, but if the capability really is better I like some of the other LUX features as well.

Here is how I have the BB specced: 4.27 locking rear axle with the stock wheels and v6. Mod bumper and front skid plate. After reading all the reviews I really like the cloth, but if the BD has a better spec for nearly the same price I can also go to that. The plan if I get the BB is to sell the tires and stick 33's on there and outfit it better bash plates, upgrade the sound system for 2k and find a trail cam solution to compete with LUX plus find a sway bar disconnect solution.

I do not plan on doing any severe rock crawling with this thing. The SAS version vs the BL is about 4k difference, Non SAS is 10k. I plan on overlanding, places like Tincup or Black Bear pass, and forest and BLM roads especially in the Utah/Idaho/Nevada area with some more in the Sierra Nevada's and so on. I will also do a lot of winter driving. How badly do I need that front locker? And possibly the lift and better suspension? If I should SAS it to get good capability, then I'm back to either a non SAS BL or WT. Help me understand how important this really is!
Sponsored

dgorsett

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F250, Mustang, Explorer
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

I had a Jeep Rubicon with front locker. I seldom used it and not on trails like you described. Bigger, more aggressive tires would be nice and not available from the factory on a BB.

For me budget was a huge factor, so I'm non Sas BB

Sounds like you're going to option up (mid, stereo, bumper etc) so if budget is not a huge factor I would go nonSas BL. Has both lockers, great tires, improved suspension, bumper et al.

Headsong

Black Diamond
First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Black Diamond non squatch 4 door softtop v6
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

If all you want out of Lux is the B&O, I'd recommend against it from what we're 'hearing' lol....because the sound bars/speakers are way in the rear, noise levels are decently high.....

I switched up from BB to BD because you can't get the 4A without Squatch (how stupid is that?) and the MGV seats....

DonM

Base
First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 4DR Base Sasquatch 2.3 in VB
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

If budget isn't a particular factor, I'd go non-SAS BL. I set myself to a budget and went 2.3 Base SAS. Will I ever use it to its potential - no, but I'd rather have the best parts just in case! Plus it gives me the advanced transfer case.

If I could have gotten front and rear limited slip, or at least rear limited slip, I would have gotten a base Base and the 2.7.

Last edited:

Mustang_75_99

Badlands
First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Ford F150, 2005 Mustang GT
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I am also new to off roading and it sounds like we will be using the Bronco similarly. From the research I have done on this topic, a locking rear end will be plenty in a vehicle as capable as the Bronco for your intended use. We are going with the non-SAS Badlands which is gonna be WAY more capable than we need, but it was the only interior my wife liked (her daily)...so I was fine upgrading! 😂 Also she drives rural roads and she wants the Advanced 4x4 for the northern IL winters.

Last edited:

Sponsored
OP
OP
midwestpilot

midwestpilot

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Equator
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Just wish I could get cloth in the badlands! I'm definitely not crazy limited budget wise, but I'm guilty in the past of going overboard and if I can save ~6k when all is said and done and still be happy and capable I'll do it. I kind of feel maybe I should just do the non SAS BL with MID or HIGH and upgrade the sound separately. But then I'll still probably get a larger tire down the road. I am worried about the MGV in the heat, I'm a sweaty person and don't really want swamp crack all the time.

AZshot

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vintage Motorcycles, F-150, various other
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

You will be fine without a front locking diff. Just get better tires at some point. I've driven a 2WD F-150 with basic tires, a limited slip diff, off road a lot out west for 20 years. Only crossing creeks or going up slippery slopes have ever made me wish for 4WD, and I still make it without.

da_jokker

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JKUR
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Its not the front locker you are after (I mean don't get me wrong, having it is pretty nice)

But it's the better front axle. Badlands has it standard, Big Bend would require Sasquatch.

So personally I think the choice is easy between those two, I would get the Badlands for the better off-road "ruggedness".

DonM

Base
First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 4DR Base Sasquatch 2.3 in VB
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Its not the front locker you are after (I mean don't get me wrong, having it is pretty nice)

But it's the better front axle. Badlands has it standard, Big Bend would require Sasquatch.

So personally I think the choice is easy between those two, I would get the Badlands for the better off-road "ruggedness".
I think this is really the better summary!!!!

Mustang_75_99

Badlands
First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Ford F150, 2005 Mustang GT
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I am worried about the MGV in the heat, I'm a sweaty person and don't really want swamp crack all the time.
Wow, me too!

Swass is something I know is going to happen, so I am just gonna have to deal with it.

Sponsored
OP
OP
midwestpilot

midwestpilot

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Equator
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Fiiiiiiinnne. Y’all have convinced me. BL it is.

For the next two days until I yet again change my mind.

smartest thing is probably BL and if I hate the MGV just get cloth covers. Thanks for all the input!

Spooled

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Raptor
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Clubs

I've used the front locker in my ZR2 maybe 2 or 3 times. I've used the rear 20 times probably. If you don't plan on rock crawling, you won't need it.
Sponsored