Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2000 Land Rover Disco 2, '79 Corvette, '17 Elantra
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Does anyone have any evidence that "normal mode" gimps the engine?? My understanding is that all "sport mode" does is make the throttle more sensitive and shift later. You get the same thing if you're just a bit more aggressive when you accelerate. If you're in "normal mode" and put the pedal all the way down, it's not going to make a difference whether you're in sport or normal mode...
Sponsored

rtaylor

Badlands
First Name
R
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19Raptor, 22Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Any reason for this?
Why spend money for the 2.7 when "Normal and Eco" gimps the engine......
sport.JPG
I think they should have implemented Sport instead of Eco.

However, Ford's sport mode for ecoboost trucks is mostly smoke and mirrors. It "feels" more powerful due to firm shifts and pedal response curve. On wide-open-throttle the shift points are raised 3-4mph (makes minimal difference). Steering assist should be selectable anyway. It does hold a lower gear and high RPM while your cruising down the road at fixed speed, which is highly annoying if you're not actually on a track or planning a nascar maneuver.

I think a performance tune (of Normal mode) is a better way to go. You can get rid of the painful stock pedal delay. Can have firmer shifts and raised shift points if you want. It can increase turbo boost (increased HP/torque). But the important difference is that instead of holding high RPMs unnecessarily it can instead downshift more aggressively when you mash the pedal.

BroncoActual

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ford F-150 Raptor
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
How is Baja mode the same when it puts you in 4High? You dont want to be in 4High on dry pavement.
Baja puts you in 2H w/rear diff locked. source: my Raptor

Besides, I cant think of one trail Ive been on in CO where Baja mode would come in handy. Now the rock crawl is completely different and will get its use.

But for those skeptics about the use of Sport Mode, like others have said about the 3.5EB (whether that be a raptor or a regular supercrew f150 w/ the 3.5EB) go ride in one and you’d be surprised how quick it is weighing 5700lbs (and thats with a full 36gal fuel tank). I estimate my Bronco will weigh in around 5200-5300lbs and with the 2.7 it should still get up and go. Maybe not as well as my 3.5 in the truck but close.
Agreed. With my Raptor out in CO, I was always either in Mud/Sand or Rock Crawl. Baja is my least used mode. Obviously guys out in the Southwest will have a different experience

Stampede.Offroad

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
junk
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
From preliminary reports, there can only be 7 GOAT modes. Since Badlands has the sway bar disconnect, they added Rock mode and removed Sport mode.

Sport mode and Baja Mode are nearly identical except Baja mode is 4H and Sport Mode is 2H/4A.

Hopeful The GOAT modes allow you to further tweak. So if you can pick Baja mode and switch to 2H/4A, that would accomplish the same.
Hopefully we can drop eco and normal mode and replace them with "buying new tires tommorow" mode or whatever suits our preferences.

tritonx100

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 ford explore
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
From preliminary reports, there can only be 7 GOAT modes. Since Badlands has the sway bar disconnect, they added Rock mode and removed Sport mode.

Sport mode and Baja Mode are nearly identical except Baja mode is 4H and Sport Mode is 2H/4A.

Hopeful The GOAT modes allow you to further tweak. So if you can pick Baja mode and switch to 2H/4A, that would accomplish the same.
Someone will figure out how to hack this

Sponsored

AzScorpion

Badlands
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger SuperCrew Lariat 4x4
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Does anyone have any evidence that "normal mode" gimps the engine?? My understanding is that all "sport mode" does is make the throttle more sensitive and shift later. You get the same thing if you're just a bit more aggressive when you accelerate. If you're in "normal mode" and put the pedal all the way down, it's not going to make a difference whether you're in sport or normal mode...
Regular D mode shifts into higher gears way to fast and is designed to give you the best fuel economy. I can be driving around town and will be in 8th or 9th gear at around 45 mph. I'm not sure how S mode will work with the Bronco but with the Ranger once you put in in S it will change the shift points and shift sooner without lagging into a higher gear. You can also hit the +/- button and manual shift while in S mode so you can control the shift like a manual. You will notice a difference in S mode putting the pedal down compared to D mode. Mine has a Livernois tune and my D mode is now like S before the tune, very fast and responsive right away.

chartzilla

Badlands
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2000 Land Rover Disco 2, '79 Corvette, '17 Elantra
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

You can also hit the +/- button and manual shift while in S mode so you can control the shift like a manual.
I get that the shift points change in sport mode in most cars, but you should be able to manual shift the Bronco regardless of what mode you're in, or at least that's what other Fords I've driven let you do. At that point the only thing "sport mode" is doing is making the pedal more sensitive (and maybe tightening steering somewhat), which might make it feel faster, but ultimately when you floor it, full throttle is full throttle regardless of what mode you're in.

Dick_Castlesmurff

Badlands
First Name
Dick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Forester
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I don't see the point in having Sport, Normal and Eco modes. I'd either be in sport or eco.

It also, so far, looks like sport and baja are the same mode except for the 4H... so you can just put it in Baja then turn off 4H.... supposidly...

AzScorpion

Badlands
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger SuperCrew Lariat 4x4
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I get that the shift points change in sport mode in most cars, but you should be able to manual shift the Bronco regardless of what mode you're in, or at least that's what other Fords I've driven let you do. At that point the only thing "sport mode" is doing is making the pedal more sensitive (and maybe tightening steering somewhat), which might make it feel faster, but ultimately when you floor it, full throttle is full throttle regardless of what mode you're in.
Maybe I'm reading this wrong but we were up late and I'm working on 3 hours sleep. ? It has nothing to do with pedal sensitivity, if you want that buy a pedal commander. When I say mode I'm talking about Drive or Sport so no you can not manual shift while in drive, only sport.

Sport will change the shift points and hold them longer and it will respond quicker. Yes full throttle is full throttle but you're going to get there faster if the shifts are quicker and more responsive at the start. There is no lag is sport moderate least on the Ranger. This is the same tranny in the F150 so I'm sure it's the same with that too and I'm ASSuming it'll be the same with the Bronco. Best thing to do is go test drive a Ranger and try doing all 3. Drive it in D,shift into S then while in S hot the +/- and manual shift it. It's way more than just making the pedal "feel" more sensitive.

Silver-Bolt

Wildtrak
First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ford Raptor, 2020 Audi SQ5, 2023 Wildtrak
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Regular mode does not reduce power at all. In a nutshell the throttle response is slower, the transmission skips gears (1-3-5-7-etc) and the transmission locks up and very low rpm's. Sport mode improves the throttle response and the transmission hits every gear. Sport mode is quicker but not because of more power. I use Sport mode on my Raptor daily. It costs a little in fuel economy but the throttle response is worth it.

OrlandoBroncos

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

There may be some confusion here between Auto and Manual transmission. The GOAT mode will control shifting in an Auto but not a Manual.
Sponsored