The Driving Viking

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Sasquatch 2022 Willys Xtreme Recon
Your Bronco Model
Base
I don't understand the "reliability" arguments at all (and I question the age of those making such arguements). I''ve owned 3 EB motors all of them have been great and didn't need anything besides oil changes, the highest mileage one was at 165,000 when I sold it to my SIL and she still has it.

I remember a Focus ST that had 350,000 on it when the owner traded it in.
Thats what the V8 guys come up with to justify their argument. Unfortunately for them the Ecoboost engines are just as reliable as a V8. So their argument is not valid. There Ecoboosts hitting 300k miles now.
Sponsored

Reactions: Tre

Daytona_Bronco

Black Diamond
First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 Mustang GT
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Ford Bronco No V8 from Ford any time soon but mainly because of emissions penalties 20200914_160404

Well this is disapointing news ... especially seeing a Jeep comparison in the article... Am I sensing a little Bronco hate from Car and Driver ?

Freezing0K

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Honda CRV (I just like Broncos Ok?)
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Ford Bronco No V8 from Ford any time soon but mainly because of emissions penalties 20200914_160404

Well this is disapointing news ... especially seeing a Jeep comparison in the article... Am I sensing a little Bronco hate from Car and Driver ?

Sooooo does that mean that y'all are gonna give up and stop complaining about it or?

The Driving Viking

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Sasquatch 2022 Willys Xtreme Recon
Your Bronco Model
Base
First off im talking about Ecoboost engines in general. Not just the 4 cylinder. Second there are plenty of 4 cylinder engines that last a very long time and surpassing V8s.

There's plenty of people already starting to comment on the longevity of the Ecoboost engines. Even forum members on here have commented on their trouble free 100k+ mileage.

Do you really think the majority of Off-roading vehicles ate V8s? There's a ton Off Roading vehicles out there that are not V8.

If your so hard-core V8 why are you even in a Bronco Forum? The new Bronco will never have a V8. And with the strict emissions regulations getting even more strict by the year most V8s will be a thing of the past within 15 years. https://www.google.com/amp/s/jalopn...oboost-held-up-after-200-000-m-1790602670/amp

Screenshot_20200913-182607_Samsung Internet.jpg

Brick Vanderhuge

Outer Banks
First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Edge, Custom Softail, Flatside Shovelhead
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
I don't know why this should be such a big deal considering the boosted engines make huge torque numbers, which I'm guessing is what all the off-roaders want anyway.

Sponsored

Laminar

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Cougar
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
GM and Chrysler have figured out how to make the V8’s fuel efficient. Ford went with a modular style motor and their fuel efficiency has never even been close to what GM has been able to get for decades. The old 1999 LS1 Camaro SS was rated at 19 city / 30 highway. The 2020 Mustang GT isn’t even close to that yet (16/25) and it’s got 21 years of technological advancements. It’s not that they can’t figure it out, it’s that with their current motor technology/architecture I don’t think it’s really possible. Go back to an OHV design and I don’t think there would be a problem with a V8 and efficiency.
'99 Camaro SS with the stick was rated 17/26 and with the auto it was 15/23.

The new Mustang is 14/24 stick and 16/25 auto making 155 more horsepower than that LS1.

Ford Bronco No V8 from Ford any time soon but mainly because of emissions penalties 1600179495598

The LS engines have more displacement than the Modular/Coyote, so they naturally make more power at lower RPMs, so they can be geared to run lower RPMs on the highway and achieve better MPGs. The Camaro would do 1900 RPMs at 70mph while the Mustang is doing 2300 at the same speed.

If Ford had a small block/large displacement V8 in its lineup I'd be all for throwing it in the Bronco, but the Coyote is too wide and makes too little low end power, the 6.2 is massive and heavy, and even the new 7.3 pushrod design is much bigger than an LS and super heavy.

D Fresh

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep YJ, Ford Fiesta ST, Mazda CX-5
Your Bronco Model
Undecided

NCOBX

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
H2 Hummer, Holden Commodore
Your Bronco Model
Base
The fact that “Even forum members on here have commented on their trouble free 100k+ mileage.” Even gets posted is evidence that people simply don’t trust the ecoboosts. 100k+ was a common place theme in the 1970s to show reliability - if 100k+ is the best ecoboosts can do in the 2020s then they have no chance.

There is simply no reason not to offer a V8 other than Ford is so committed to their ecoboosts that they cannot afford the embarrassment of building a decent small block V8 for the less than 3/4ton market.

Spare me the cries that the V6 is “good enough” I want the best not “good enough”. And the thousands of miles I’ve driven an F150 with the 2.7L I know that’s a frustrating engine that cannot get out of its own way. Now granted if your coming from a focus or some other small car it may be “adequate“ but for the rest of us we need a V8.

D Fresh

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep YJ, Ford Fiesta ST, Mazda CX-5
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
The fact that “Even forum members on here have commented on their trouble free 100k+ mileage.” Even gets posted is evidence that people simply don’t trust the ecoboosts. 100k+ was a common place theme in the 1970s to show reliability - if 100k+ is the best ecoboosts can do in the 2020s then they have no chance.

There is simply no reason not to offer a V8 other than Ford is so committed to their ecoboosts that they cannot afford the embarrassment of building a decent small block V8 for the less than 3/4ton market.

Spare me the cries that the V6 is “good enough” I want the best not “good enough”. And the thousands of miles I’ve driven an F150 with the 2.7L I know that’s a frustrating engine that cannot get out of its own way. Now granted if your coming from a focus or some other small car it may be “adequate“ but for the rest of us we need a V8.
Did you even read the article on th EB torture test? No 70's V8 (with 165 factory HP ) would come close to surviving that.

Also, assuming supercrew F-150 that's about half a ton heavier than expected Bronco curb weight.

Sounds like you need a first gen build candidate to get what you want. If you can't buy it, build it.
Sponsored