NCOBX

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
H2 Hummer, Holden Commodore
Your Bronco Model
Base
Did you even read the article on th EB torture test? No 70's V8 (with 165 factory HP ) would come close to surviving that.

Also, assuming supercrew F-150 that's about half a ton heavier than expected Bronco curb weight.

Sounds like you need a first gen build candidate to get what you want. If you can't buy it, build it.
I shouldn’t have to build it, there is clearly a vocal consumer group that is willing to put money on a V8. The Wrangler has had multiple aftermarket companies selling V8 swap kits and even FCA finally relented.

The demand is clearly there to support a V8. If Ford is planning on the Bronco being a big deal then it would make sense to provide products to a segment demanding a V8 powertrain. Leave the 6 cylinders for those that cannot afford the 8.
Sponsored

D Fresh

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep YJ, Ford Fiesta ST, Mazda CX-5
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
I shouldn’t have to build it, there is clearly a vocal consumer group that is willing to put money on a V8. The Wrangler has had multiple aftermarket companies selling V8 swap kits and even FCA finally relented.

The demand is clearly there to support a V8. If Ford is planning on the Bronco being a big deal then it would make sense to provide products to a segment demanding a V8 powertrain. Leave the 6 cylinders for those that cannot afford the 8.
I get it.

I know a few other folks who think they know how to build a better car, but don't have the skills to, you know, build a car.

Big Boss

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Big Bend
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
I don't know why this should be such a big deal considering the boosted engines make huge torque numbers, which I'm guessing is what all the off-roaders want anyway.

That is more in line with my thinking as well as that maybe Ford simply doesn't have a V-8 that would be good match for the Bronco.

Ford makes 7 different V-8s, 3 of which are variants of the 5.0 Coyote,( two for Mustang and one for F-150) and two are based off the 5.2 and then the two heavy duty truck engines the 6.2 and 7.3. So of those that make good low end torque that would be good in a off road vehicle that leaves the F-150 5.0, the 6.2 and the 7.3

I know displacement doesn't always correlate to actual size but the 5.0s are fairly large engines as is the 6.2 being OHC designs. I believe the 7.3 is longer than the 5.0 so I am not sure if they would even fit while meeting OEM standards for crash and durability. Also the platform wasn't designed with a v8 in mind IIRC

NCOBX

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
H2 Hummer, Holden Commodore
Your Bronco Model
Base
I get it.

I know a few other folks who think they know how to build a better car, but don't have the skills to, you know, build a car.
I assume your talking about yourself, since you don’t know my background and all.... ?

rapidredbronco2021

Badlands
First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Badlands 2 door MT
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Sounds like the bronco may not get the v8....

https://www.autoblog.com/2020/09/14/ford-bronco-v8/

“"We have to manage the CO2 implications of the product. The way the federal requirements are now, it's all footprint-based. If you look at the shadow area of a small off-road vehicle, it has a pretty high target from a government perspective in terms of CO2," explained Eric Loefller, the Bronco's chief engineer, in an interview with Muscle Cars & Trucks. His comments confirm that, as of writing, a V8-powered variant is not in the pipeline.”
We probably have a better chance in seeing the 3.5L from the Raptor before Ford shoves a V8 under the hood

Sponsored

Tre

Base
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Chevy Impala, Buick Enclave, '77 Suzuki GS750
Your Bronco Model
Base

AZHUND

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 RAM 1500 5.7L 4x4, 2018 Wrangler S 3.6L
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
I think we all know that the future is turbo 4's and 6's to meet CAFE/EPA regs. But having the choice of a NA V8 would be nice...

In my recent truck shopping it kind of felt like it was my "last chance" to get a old-school wholesome engine like that. I will enjoy it while I can!

MacHudson

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Edge
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Towing capacity, you would go from 3500 to 5500
It’s my understanding that the limiting factor for the towing is not the engine, but the squishy suspension that’s required for off road driving. That it’s a trade off. Pickups are more firm, and thus can tow more with the same engine under the hood.

Anybody able to confirm/refute?

Reactions: Tre

Jacjetlag

Wildtrak
First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Diesel Mercedes
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
It's just so.....Ford.

Ford v. Ferrari captures the corporate mentality that fights itself. Ironic really that FCA has the 392 playing the "man card".

+++++

And Ford (slow learners that they are)is gonna build what Ford wants....instead of what the customers want.

Sponsored