Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
H2 Hummer, Holden Commodore
Your Bronco Model
Base
I had a whole response typed up and than Mods moved the thread! Dag nabbit! lol

Anyways.

I have never owned a new vehicle. So I can't talk about the MPG in a newer V8. I own a 79 F150 with a 400 bored .60 over, RV cam, 4bbl Edelbroch intake, and 650 CFM Holley Carb. Other vehicle is a 78 Bronco with the stock 351M. Both are gas guzzlers, I am lucky to get 8 mpg. That's where my view of V8s as low MPG engines knowledge is from.
The problem is everyone is comparing 1970s V8 technology to current 4+6 cylinder tech.

I get the feeling people are afraid to compare modern V8s and the 4+6s just don’t stack up as well.

Corvette forums are filled with people getting low 30s MPG. Muscle cars have been in high 20s for at least a decade. V8 trucks have no issue getting 20s.

When people start putting off-road tires on the Bronco the fuel economy on the turbos will be worse than a N/A V8.
Sponsored

North7

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
SUV
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Clubs

When people start putting off-road tires on the Bronco the fuel economy on the turbos will be worse than a N/A V8.
So how is Ford going to pass the EPA MPG standards with factory off-road tires?

NCOBX

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Base
So how is Ford going to pass the EPA MPG standards with factory off-road tires?
They’re only going up to 35s at this point and by using 4.70 gearing they shouldn’t lose much fuel economy at all. However many people are oddly adverse to gear swaps and when these trucks start rolling 37 and 38s, especially on non 4.70 trucks the economy is going to be atrocious.

North7

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
SUV
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Clubs

They’re only going up to 35s at this point and by using 4.70 gearing they shouldn’t lose much fuel economy at all. However many people are oddly adverse to gear swaps and when these trucks start rolling 37 and 38s, especially on non 4.70 trucks the economy is going to be atrocious.
Understand, if you refuse to match gearing and roll with and larger, aggressive off-road tread on pavement, they will just have to eat the lost mpg to their hobby budget.

Southern Girl

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1974 Bronco/2023 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Dont really care unless it's a 6.2. I was dead set on a 5.0 for my last truck until I drove one. It's an absolute slug compared to the EcoBoost motors. You have to rev the hell out of it to get any power. It does sound great, but that's about it.
I get around just fine in mine. ;)

Sponsored

NCOBX

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Base
Understand, if you refuse to match gearing and roll with and larger, aggressive off-road tread on pavement, they will just have to eat the lost mpg to their hobby budget.
At that point what’s the purpose of settling for a V6, sure all engines are going to struggle with improper gearing but the boosted engine is going to be running below the sweet spot on the RPM scale and either lug the engine that is (at the time) acting as a N/A 6 (out of boost) or downshift into the middle of the power band and be all boost.

North7

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
SUV
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Clubs

At that point what’s the purpose of settling for a V6, sure all engines are going to struggle with improper gearing but the boosted engine is going to be running below the sweet spot on the RPM scale and either lug the engine that is (at the time) acting as a N/A 6 (out of boost) or downshift into the middle of the power band and be all boost.
Because the EPA does not have a non-penalized category for off-road vehicles that volume manufactures can adhere to.

Your own custom built rig may be needed for some peoples needs.

Tre

Base
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Chevy Impala, Buick Enclave, '77 Suzuki GS750
Your Bronco Model
Base
It’s my understanding that the limiting factor for the towing is not the engine, but the squishy suspension that’s required for off road driving. That it’s a trade off. Pickups are more firm, and thus can tow more with the same engine under the hood.

Anybody able to confirm/refute?
Bronco and Ranger are built on the same platform. Both have the 2.3. Look at the difference in towing capacity and you have your confirmation that it's not the engine holding the Bronco numbers down.

NCOBX

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Base
Because the EPA does not have a non-penalized category for off-road vehicles that volume manufactures can adhere to.

Your own custom built rig may be needed for some peoples needs.
EPA has set fines for fuel economy shortfalls, I’m sure there are plenty of people that would happily pay $500 pay off fee to the EPA on top of a V8 upcharge to have a decent engine.

rmc523

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2009 Ford Flex; 2018 Mustang GT
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

It's just so.....Ford.

Ford v. Ferrari captures the corporate mentality that fights itself. Ironic really that FCA has the 392 playing the "man card".

+++++

And Ford (slow learners that they are)is gonna build what Ford wants....instead of what the customers want.
You realize Ford has to adhere to governmental regulations for emissions and whatnot right? And more V8s don't help them get there. Don't blame Ford, blame the government.

FCA (now Stellantis) literally has to buy EPA credits from Tesla to comply with regulations - that's the only reason they're able to offer what they offer.

Sponsored

D Fresh

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep YJ, Ford Fiesta ST, Mazda CX-5
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
For sure. If the superglue won't cut it I'm off for stitches.

Velociraptor

Badlands
First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Lexus RX450h, 2021 Toyota 4Runner TRD Pro
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
No I want the 2.7. It all depends on what my limits are for fuel mileage. V8 fuel economy would probably be way below my limit but I am hoping that the 2.7 will be OK. Won't know for sure until the numbers come out. It is very subjective for sure. The Bronco will replace my Subaru Crosstrek which is pretty underpowered, so with the Bronco I want to avoid that so going with the 2.7. Even if a V8 was offered I would pass, but if someone wants a ripping Bronco with a powerful V8 then go for it!

IARubicon

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Graphic from survey video says it all. If I'm spending $40k-60k on a new vehicle, I would be happy to pay an EPA fee. My independent mechanic agrees with the official Ford technicians.

I won't be buying a Bronco until normally aspirated V8 is available.

Ford Techs.PNG
Sponsored