First Name
Ty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford F-150, Ford Expedition
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
I like many others was not a fan at all of the original gray MIC top and simply couldn't stand it but now that it's darker and matches the fender flares I am heavily leaning towards calling my dealer and switching from the modular to MIC top but my only concern is the noise factor. The modular hard top is heavier and I have searched but couldn't find much of an answer and only theories. I know the sound deadening option is something I can 100% with but can anyone whos rode in them able to tell the difference in sound reduction regarding the MIC vs MOD? Supposedly the modular top will be quieter since it's heavier but is it really noticeable? Don't care about taking out the back windows at all and while I think would look better with my wildtrak I do not see a $1900 difference unless the modular is indeed noticeably quieter due to it being heavier. Any thoughts?
Sponsored

L8apex

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
'14 Focus ST, '21 Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
People rode in them at KOH, but I doubt they were able to grab seat time in both a MIC and MOD. Even then I doubt the driving they were doing would be representative enough of normal driving and any difference wouldn't be discernable. So first-hand experience is going to be almost none.

However given the different construction methods of the top I would assume the MOD would be quieter relative to the MIC. How much quieter, no one knows. Well NVH engineers at Ford do, but doubt they're giving out their data.

Last edited:

Wanted33

Outer Banks
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT, 2019 Wrangler, 2020 Ranger
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

My '19 Jeep JL with the hard top really wasn't that loud. It did quieten down a bit with the head liner installed. The head liner did more to cut down on the summer heat IMHO, which I liked. I think you will be OK with the MIC top with, or without a head liner. It's never going to be as quiet as your car, but that's just part of owning an offroad vehicle. Good luck on your decision. It seems the decisions like that are the hardest sometimes.

Used2jeep

Banned
Black Diamond
Banned
Banned
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 Crown Vic P71
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Saw a video by an audio material company in a reasonably modern Jeep with a hard top, 70db on what appeared to be highway. Tested my Crown Vic, 65db. Figuring that the Bronco is in the same neighborhood as the Jeep, soft top notwithstanding. The Vic level was to show "a standard sedan" as a comparison.

Guessing that all of the BMWs and Mercedes on this forum will be quieter.

Sponsored

Virtual-Chris

Badlands
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I wonder if you get the headliner on the MIC top, if you can remove it temporarily to apply some additional sound-deadening matt material to the underside of the top.

Ironically, my Mercedes of all vehicles has the worst road noise I've ever witnessed in a vehicle and adding some adhesive sound-matt material to the trunk really helped quiet it down.

indio22

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'72 Rover, '85 CJ7, '98 TJ, '14 BRZ, '23 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
I like many others was not a fan at all of the original gray MIC top and simply couldn't stand it but now that it's darker and matches the fender flares I am heavily leaning towards calling my dealer and switching from the modular to MIC top but my only concern is the noise factor. The modular hard top is heavier and I have searched but couldn't find much of an answer and only theories. I know the sound deadening option is something I can 100% with but can anyone whos rode in them able to tell the difference in sound reduction regarding the MIC vs MOD? Supposedly the modular top will be quieter since it's heavier but is it really noticeable? Don't care about taking out the back windows at all and while I think would look better with my wildtrak I do not see a $1900 difference unless the modular is indeed noticeably quieter due to it being heavier. Any thoughts?
The modular top will have removable back side windows, and rear top hatch (at least on the 4 door?). With more pieces, seams and movement, there is the potential for more noise leakage. On the other hand, if the modular top is built heavier in a way that eliminates some vibration or other means of sound transmission, that aspect could make it quieter.

So basically, I don't know, lol. Down the road an enterprising person will post measured comparison ratings and we will get a clearer picture. What I do know, is my son was playing test tones via his phone the other day, and laughing when I was unable to hear tones above 14khz. So apparently I've lost some hearing. :oops:

Used2jeep

Banned
Black Diamond
Banned
Banned
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 Crown Vic P71
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

The modular top will have removable back side windows, and rear top hatch (at least on the 4 door?). With more pieces, seams and movement, there is the potential for more noise leakage. On the other hand, if the modular top is built heavier in a way that eliminates some vibration or other means of sound transmission, that aspect could make it quieter.

So basically, I don't know, lol. Down the road an enterprising person will post measured comparison ratings and we will get a clearer picture. What I do know, is my son was playing test tones via his phone the other day, and laughing when I was unable to hear tones above 14khz. So apparently I've lost some hearing. :oops:
Hatch is 2 door. Second row is 4 door.

da_jokker

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JKUR
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

I'm curious about the strength, especially in regards to a roof rack.

It has been stated that the Mod is a different material and heavier than the Mic... But I wonder if it yields more static or dynamic roof rack capacity?

BroncoBilly62

Badlands
First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 GMC 2500
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I have a Badlands on order with the MIC and wasn't able to add the Sound Deadening Headliner as an option. After doing some research, I found and aftermarket option at Hothead Headliners. They are in the process of engineering the exact fit for the 2021 Bronco. You can add your email to their waiting list on their site.

https://hotheadheadliners.com/pages/2021-ford-bronco-headliners
Sponsored