mcdoogs

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
13 Ford Focus ST, 21 Mercedes Benz E350
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
I was on vacation and offline for 3 weeks, but the Ford email about getting the hard tops was a shock. Everyone is talking about the MIC top in this thread, that's the cheap looking one, gray being the only "color" and it looks like cheap plastic. What about the Modular Painted top? That's what I had ordered, the email implied you won't get one this year, or next year. That is an unprecedented delay in a consumer item that is produced every year. Like buying a refrigerator be being told the handles can't be built. So the MOD top goes from late 21, to 22, to 23 and your option is to cancel it and get a soft top. That, my friends, is a travesty.
Yep, mod top is as of now MY23. I'd not bet much on that sticking though, or being 'early' MY23 unless the mod top is produced by someone other than Webasto. The positive is that it's likely going to be offered in black, body color, and white when it is finally available for order
Sponsored

BroncoAZ

Badlands
First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 2 Door Badlands manual, 2021 Tacoma TRD OR
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Yeah it was more rhetorical than anything. The 20k comment was to illustrate the fact One could potentially be tempted to go cheaper, have a very capable ride, and save some $.

No way in hell would I spend 34k on a vehicle and immediately drop another 20k into it.
unless that sum ended up netting a vehicle worth 6 figures, like a Super Bee or 66 Shelby.
Understood.

I am legitimately tempted to save the money.

da_jokker

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JKUR
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

What is odd are these random Bronco Builds people are getting with MICs...it makes no sense short of VIP and Priority orders.

Folks are getting their undergarments all in a knott but if MIC tops are in limited supply then it only makes sense that Trims requiring hard tops take priority. That is, without question, FE, WT, and 2-doors.

All other trims can literally choose a soft top and nothing else about their Bronco will be compromised. All these comments about switching from a WT to blah is simply asinine. It wouldn't be a WT then now would it?

When it comes to the 2 door, there is an obvious difference that no one seems to even consider. The two-door hardtops are not made the same way as the four door hardtops. At a minimum they have a different mold but one would guess the entire workflow is different. Hell from what we read, one of the issues was getting their tooling from China. So it could be as simple as the fact that the two-door tooling isn't at 100%.

So the Priority of the 2 doors vs FE/WT are most likely based on the work floor ability to produce one or the other. I would highly doubt that they're only running one mold at a time.

Now if the underlying problem has to do with raw materials, now we're talking about something different because they would be literally having to choose which type of top gets the last bucket of materials.

And for all you folks there throwing out the timestamp card... That has been proven time and time I get it absolutely holds no water. Our timestamps simply threw us into different buckets, and once you're in that bucket it's a free-for-all. People with later timestamps can easily get their Broncos before your first hours reservation.

Let's just hope that this July 16th deadline means that soon after Ford is going to send out an email that is actually worth a damn, good news or bad just give it to me straight Ford and some actual Intel.

bruce 1

Outer Banks
First Name
bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 ford transit
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

This is gonna start some shit. I believe it to be true though. My dealer said something to the effect that webasto is building only a hand full of tops a day.
do you actually think a company with a big contract from ford is only building a hand full of tops a day. ford probably needs thousands a day for full production so if they are only making a thousand or a little less a day its not enough.

Monster1926

First Edition
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GMC Sierra 2500HD
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
do you actually think a company with a big contract from ford is only building a hand full of tops a day. ford probably needs thousands a day for full production so if they are only making a thousand or a little less a day its not enough.
I really don’t care how many tops their building. Mines coming in 2021 that’s all that matters. Clearly you havent been reading the threads air getting emails from Ford saying the hard tops are the issue.

Sponsored

Eric L

Badlands
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Edge Sport, 2018 Fusion Sport
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

My rep told me a similar story yesterday...they are prioritizing FE and WT with MIC tops BUT he did not say all other MIC tops would be pushed to 22. I have a Badlands at 2:24 mins after open and I'm finally considering switching to soft top despite not being in love with the factory soft top AND as long as I get the prep kit

Brongo

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
Ford is truly dropping the ball by not being truly transparent in their “email updates”. If Ford had said in an email what my GM told me, of course I would be bummed but I would be informed.
What do you mean? When they told us to “stay pumped” I got the message loud and clear. :cautious:

Brongo

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
What is odd are these random Bronco Builds people are getting with MICs...it makes no sense short of VIP and Priority orders.

Folks are getting their undergarments all in a knott but if MIC tops are in limited supply then it only makes sense that Trims requiring hard tops take priority. That is, without question, FE, WT, and 2-doors.

All other trims can literally choose a soft top and nothing else about their Bronco will be compromised. All these comments about switching from a WT to blah is simply asinine. It wouldn't be a WT then now would it?

When it comes to the 2 door, there is an obvious difference that no one seems to even consider. The two-door hardtops are not made the same way as the four door hardtops. At a minimum they have a different mold but one would guess the entire workflow is different. Hell from what we read, one of the issues was getting their tooling from China. So it could be as simple as the fact that the two-door tooling isn't at 100%.

So the Priority of the 2 doors vs FE/WT are most likely based on the work floor ability to produce one or the other. I would highly doubt that they're only running one mold at a time.

Now if the underlying problem has to do with raw materials, now we're talking about something different because they would be literally having to choose which type of top gets the last bucket of materials.

And for all you folks there throwing out the timestamp card... That has been proven time and time I get it absolutely holds no water. Our timestamps simply threw us into different buckets, and once you're in that bucket it's a free-for-all. People with later timestamps can easily get their Broncos before your first hours reservation.

Let's just hope that this July 16th deadline means that soon after Ford is going to send out an email that is actually worth a damn, good news or bad just give it to me straight Ford and some actual Intel.
Next email from Ford: “Stay Jazzed”… followed by “Stay Classy”… and finally “Please stay”.

BlueBronco

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 F150 KR - '21 BL - 23' OBX
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
My dealer called me a couple a week or so ago and told me that Ford was converting MIC tops to soft tops (with Hard Top prep) on any of the two doors and that he though that I might get a VIN in August and if that happened my WT would be delivered with a soft top. Now.. Small town, only Ford dealer in a hundred mile radius, in the middle of nowhere... doesn't really have a massive Bronco herd of customers.. well under 20 confirmed orders I think and I'm close to the front of the line even with a 9/6 timestamp. I don't think he is as informed as a lot of the other dealers out there.. so "grain of salt", but according to him, if my order actually makes the cut for a MY/21, it will probably be delivered as a soft top.
This is absolutely wrong. Ford is not converting MIC orders to soft tops. And as far as the original topic, well, this entire thread is one big goat f about what a dealer said.

Five-O Donut Hole

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Ford Raptor-Loaded-Original Owner
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
I call bullshit too. Why would a later WT take priority over an early BL? It won’t.
For the same reason why late reservation holders with all the “constrained parts” were given VINS ahead of the earlier reservation holders that have all those “constrained parts” as stock on their build…..only Ford really knows the madness to this scheduling

Sponsored

da_jokker

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JKUR
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Ares

First Name
Fox
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
My rep told me a similar story yesterday...they are prioritizing FE and WT with MIC tops BUT he did not say all other MIC tops would be pushed to 22. I have a Badlands at 2:24 mins after open and I'm finally considering switching to soft top despite not being in love with the factory soft top AND as long as I get the prep kit
The FE at least, I would say they have to. they are the only ones they cant push to 22my

not sure why they would prioritize WT orders though... I mean, why they would take them out of sequence and build it ahead of an earlier time stamp non-FE.

De Brus

First Edition
First Name
De Brus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'14 HD 1200, '66 IH, '62 VW
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

I'd love to have a Bronco yesterday, but honestly I'm hearing about some manufacturing defects in these new models, not properly painted, hard tops with jagged edges, etc. etc. I can wait another year if I have to before ordering mine, even though the wait is hard. Maybe this time next year they'll have it together a little better.
I've seen the door jam paint "defect" and the one jagged mic top video/comment, but what else is there?
The free fabric lining is covering cosmetic imperfections in the hardtop interior. (Hopefully nothing more than that.) Some people thought it was for temperature or sound deadening. I never bought into that, and stated at the time it was likely for cosmetics, because that made the most sense.

Here is a photo I took of a 2-door hardtop interior. You can see the fabric and some area around the latch where the fabric does not cover the top interior. See what I mean? Personally I don't care if the hardtop interior is not perfect (as long as it isn't structurally compromised or hideous looking.)

We'll know more when some owner peels the carpet off, or someone gets a non-carpeted order fulfilled.

HardtopInteriorCloseup.jpg
What is it that we're looking for? Looks like normal fiberglass mat to me.

Eric L

Badlands
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Edge Sport, 2018 Fusion Sport
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

The FE at least, I would say they have to. they are the only ones they cant push to 22my

not sure why they would prioritize WT orders though... I mean, why they would take them out of sequence and build it ahead of an earlier time stamp non-FE.
Because they don't have a soft top option

Status
Not open for further replies.