Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco - 4 Door Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I have seen this discussed on the forums but was unable to find anything that provided me with guidance in making my decision.

If you configure a non sasquatched Badlands, you are able to pick between the 4.46 and 4.7 gearing ratio. The 4.7 gear ratio is what comes standard on all sasquatch packages. The higher gearing helps with larger tires. The question here is, what benefits would I get and what would I lose by switching to the 4.7 gearing with 33" tires?

What I've gathered so far:

Benefits:
- Faster acceleration
- Gives you the option to increase tire size down the road and have an ideal gearing ratio already installed

Detriments:
- lower MPG

If the MPG difference is negligible like I've read, then would I be crazy not to go with the 4.7 gearing on my non-sasquatched Badlands?
Sponsored

KH_59

Base
First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F-150
Your Bronco Model
Base
Difference in ratio is about 5.4%. So, running down the road at speed....in a circumstance where the 4.46 ratio would have had the engine at 2000rpm, the 4.7 ratio will bump that up to about 2100 rpm. Probably not enough to be annoying......IMHO.

Cheshire

Banned
Base
Banned
Banned
First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
4Dr Bronco BaseSquatch 2.7L
Your Bronco Model
Base
I have seen this discussed on the forums but was unable to find anything that provided me with guidance in making my decision.

If you configure a non sasquatched Badlands, you are able to pick between the 4.46 and 4.7 gearing ratio. The 4.7 gear ratio is what comes standard on all sasquatch packages. The higher gearing helps with larger tires. The question here is, what benefits would I get and what would I lose by switching to the 4.7 gearing with 33" tires?

What I've gathered so far:

Benefits:
- Faster acceleration
- Gives you the option to increase tire size down the road and have an ideal gearing ratio already installed

Detriments:
- lower MPG

If the MPG difference is negligible like I've read, then would I be crazy not to go with the 4.7 gearing on my non-sasquatched Badlands?
There is a reason Sasquatch is 4.7 and Badlands is 4.46. Engineers figured out this was optimal for 35s and 33s respectively, otherwise why not do 5.0? Put your bicycle in the lowest gear and you can pedal and accelerate fast as shit, but you have to switch to a higher gear so soon that the extra torque wasn't really worth it.

If you want to get bigger tires, then Squatch from the factory. If not, get the correct gearing they designed. One con you didn't list was slower top end speed. That matters to crazy drivers like myself ?

Sponsored

steverollin

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2dr Badlands, BMW X7, LX 570, TRX on order
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Regearing down the road is tremendously expensive so I am excited about this being a no cost option on BL. I'm doing for sure. But I am planning on running at least 35s and hopefully 37s depending on what I can tuck in. And a 4.7 would be ideal and certainly not too short a gear for those sizes. Mostly city driving for me so also less use for a taller highway gear. And I don't care about MPG since my jeep gets 11 mpg with 34s and 3.73 gears.

Mattwings

Badlands
First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Badlands Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

There is a reason Sasquatch is 4.7 and Badlands is 4.46. Engineers figured out this was optimal for 35s and 33s respectively, otherwise why not do 5.0? Put your bicycle in the lowest gear and you can pedal and accelerate fast as shit, but you have to switch to a higher gear so soon that the extra torque wasn't really worth it.

If you want to get bigger tires, then Squatch from the factory. If not, get the correct gearing they designed. One con you didn't list was slower top end speed. That matters to crazy drivers like myself ?
Top speed will likely be the same. All Broncos will probably be limited electronically to match the speed rating on the tires. I don't believe any model will run out of power before reaching the speed limiter.

Laminar

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Cougar
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Top speed is rarely gearing-limited. Even if it wasn't electronically limited, it'd be power-limited for sure. The Bronco with the 10 speed, 4.70s, and 35s could theoretically hit 205mph based on a 6000rpm redline. It'd take about 740hp to get a Bronco up to that speed. It's safe to say that gearing won't be what limits your top speed.

MacHudson

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Edge
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Top speed is rarely gearing-limited. Even if it wasn't electronically limited, it'd be power-limited for sure. The Bronco with the 10 speed, 4.70s, and 35s could theoretically hit 205mph based on a 6000rpm redline. It'd take about 740hp to get a Bronco up to that speed. It's safe to say that gearing won't be what limits your top speed.
205 MPH, you say? Theoretically speaking?

Challenge accepted!

[Just kidding, I’m a very careful driver IRL.]

colintrax

Badlands
Base Sponsor (Level 1)
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Chevy Colorado, Ford Explorer, KTM 890 ADV
Your Bronco Model
Badlands

There's a lot of constraints to gear ratios besides what's "optimal." For 1, what's optimal for you may not be optimal for me.
Also please stop parroting the idea that deeper gears means a lower top speed. In practice, vehicles run out of power before gearing. Wind resistance and friction grows exponentially with speed.

Sponsored
OP
OP
Dirty Bronco

Dirty Bronco

Badlands
First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco - 4 Door Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I am in a fortunate situation where my company is paying for this vehicle. I also wont pay for gas... however, I don't think I will be able to convince them to get 35" tires... this would be something I would install on my own down the road once the factory ones wear out. Also, in response to your bicycle example... I hear you but that's also physical labor and I'm not paying for my gas :p
Sponsored