First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Desk Chair
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
So I posted this on Bronco Nation, but I was curious to see what a non-Ford sponsored forum would have to say. We were on a trip, and my wife saw a couple of new Broncos. We saw a pre-prod model doing testing in the Colorado mountains last year. She liked the look as it was comparable in her mind to the older Land Rovers.

There's a few things they need to do to make it in the garage, though.

Things that are working well:
Off-Road demos: Yeah it's marketing. But it's good marketing with a demonstration.
Door Removal: Mirrors on when doors off, nice. Would like real half doors, but the crash standards prevent that. I don't have 'em with my Jeep either, darnit. Even the new half doors aren't half doors, but 3/4 doors.
Modularity: Leveraging the Fiero innovation, but in a better way to make the fenders more replaceable.
Removable top w/hard and soft options: par for the course, so mandatory, and it works
Goat settings: good thinking here, designing for today's car driver with matching the picture to the view outside.
Tire view/360 degree camera - nice. Nice.
Turn assist - interesting feature, can be pretty useful.
Vinyl seats w/rubberized floors - great idea lifted from the Honda Element.
Dash mounted power connections - super smart.

Things needing sorting:
Winch+front camera: You need to see where you are going and be able to get yourself out of trouble. I went offroading last weekend. I needed the trail camera. When I turned left rather than right on a poorly marked trail, I needed the winch too.
More interior options: Yeah, "any color as long as it's black" but also "Mustang was designed to be designed by you." Big WAF issue here.
More deals. About a year post launch, Jeep dealers would post their standard discounts and methodologies for maximizing incentives to minimize out the door price on the Gladiator. With an April launch, that has some time to go - and hopefully we'll see it happen in a year or so. 190k in sales over 2 years approaches the Wrangler average of 214k/year over the past 4 years.
<minor nit> the Squatch package with all terrain vs mud tires. Yeah people will buy mud tires, but that's post lift/suspension mods.

But the big one is the accessories market. Before my Gladiator arrived, I had half its garage bay full of parts boxes. It was ready to go with a winch that didn't block the front camera, wife steps, lights, a bull bar that didn't block the front camera, a warn winch power interrupt kit, a hard tonneau cover, ski rack parts, and a front runner rack. I'm waiting until next year to buy the offroading rack that mounts to the hard tonneau cover. The winch dropped into the factory bumper w/o a whimper. Without the huge aftermarket, Ford has to close that gap itself out of the gate themselves.

Either Ford or the aftermarket are going to address the issues if Bronco sales keep up. The follow on questions become price point competitiveness and timing of product releases.

I'm really interested to see what happens next.
Sponsored

Butzy

Base
First Name
Butzy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
f150 & bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

I have the whole camera/winch thing hashed out.......leave one or both off the build.....I did it and now I don't even have to worry about a big gob of mud covering up the lense. For an additional bonus, I'm feeling even better about what I didn’t ha e to pony/buck up for.

BroncoKong Jr.

Badlands
First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

The Gladiator had a lot of parts available at launch because the JL had already been out for a couple of years. There weren't many parts or accessories when the JL launched, mainly because Jeep didn't provide the aftermarket with any specs or info beforehand.

Wide Open Roads

Badlands
First Name
Stace
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'09 Outback, '57 Alfa Romeo Giulietta, '10 911 C2S
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
@Test-User-One Welcome to the party. And to be honest, that's a pretty short list of things that need to be sorted. A lot of folks here would point to the process of trying to become a Bronco owner as something needing attention.

Sponsored

Butzy

Base
First Name
Butzy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
f150 & bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

vinyl seats and rubberized floor lifted from Honda element? I remember those being available since.....well, I can't "remember" beyond the 70's but I'm fairly certain they predate the Honda element.......

Deleted member 3063

vinyl seats and rubberized floor lifted from Honda element? I remember those being available since.....well, I can't "remember" beyond the 70's but I'm fairly certain they predate the Honda element.......
lol, beat me to it. but I'll add vinyl seats and rubber floors probably predate Honda's first car sold in the USA.

TimmH

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JLUS
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks

Those weren't vinyl seats back in those days, those were leg scorchers in the summer.

Lord Bronco

Black Diamond
First Name
Lord
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Vinyl seats and rubberized floor lifted from Honda Element?

My 1976 Bronco with both begs to differ. So does pretty much every truck or off-road vehicle and many cars of the 1960s and ‘70s and prior. Or any work truck before or since.

Hell, my grandfather’s two-door Ford Maverick car had rubber floors and vinyl seats. He ashed his cigs all over the floors.

doink

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GLE 350. Bronco OBX
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

This isn’t a poll. Should’ve been.

Sponsored

MadMan4BamaNATL

Badlands
First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco 2DR Badlands Sasquatch, 2021 RR Sport
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Saw this thread last night and decided to just scroll on past...... 😙

I don't like to jump on the n00bs with their first few posts, but there were some points made and some that were going to stir debates.

Perspective sometimes comes with age. The OP could just be a young man and to him, the Element may be ancient. The trucks we remember from back in the day were over 40 years ago now and there there were the interesting autos of the 1980s.

Heck, I remember when 130hp was a sporty car.

OP
OP

Test-User-One

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Desk Chair
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
I'm only 50 or so, so yeah, the Element is the most recent car I can think of that had the advertised hose-out option that was as heavily marketed. The Bronco isn't a truck these days. Vinyl seats in my experience were marketed as "almost as good as leather" and a premium upgrade on the Oldsmobiles et al I grew up with. Hosing out those interiors wasn't an option.

The fact that the Gladiator had parts because of the aftermarket that was already there - that's exactly the point I'm making. As a result, there are more options across multiple price ranges. Gladiator-specific items emerged 6 months after launch. Further, the aftermarket keeps the mopar accessories honest, and vice versa. Not to say there aren't problems. For example the Mojave can't support the steel bumper because of the design changes to the suspension. So no Mojave for me.

However, the aftermarket will need a market large enough to make entry cost effective, which means those 190k of sales need to increase year over year. Plus enough people that buy the Bronco need to be willing to spend to modify it. Modifying a Jeep is an expectation - a stock Jeep is a bankruptcy starter kit - so that same expectation needs to be set with the Bronco owners to get a similar market response.

After going offroading, I know the value of a front camera plus a winch - either/or eliminates the vehicle as an option. The roads where I plan to use it are highly likely to need both on a regular basis. So yeah, it does need to be sorted in order for me to buy one. And Jeep thought of the mud - there's a cleaner on the front camera with an activator button in the cab. I've assumed there's one on the Bronco. Am I wrong in that?

I'm seeing Broncos on the road these days (just saw an Outer Banks today), so I know the deliveries are underway. I'm also waiting for the inevitable set of issues that will be encountered in a first release vehicle. I waited a year for the Gladiator, learned the expected issues, watched as the Launch Edition problems rolled in, and watched as they were fixed. I hope Bronco's issues are found and fixed quickly enough so it establishes itself in the market.

I'm not trying to start a holy war here, I'm just trying to get a dialog going. I know these are the things I need to get a Bronco. Your list differs, that's fine. Any thoughts you have on how these issues are being sorted/when they are being sorted - love to hear 'em.
Sponsored