Sponsored

Not a gear head so explain to me 2.3 vs 2.7 . . .

mikeheel

Wildtrak
First Name
MIke
Threads
Reaction score
Website
lovelikehateblog.wordpress.com
Vehicle(s)
Azure Gray Wildtrak, BWM K1600B, Ford Maverick
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

I'm also wresting with the 2.3 or the 2.7. I lean toward the 2.7, but as I play with projected numbers, it appears I'm probably heading above my target price, so I may stick with the 2.3 to trim expenses.

I'm not really concerned about the power, although more power is nice. My issue is that I still don't really trust a Ford 4-cyl. It's been a long time since I owned a Ford (I've owned two Mustangs and a Taurus). My parents were fond of Fords, and the older 4-cyls by Ford were crap. Granted, this was 40+ years ago when I was kid. It seems the Ecoboost motors are doing pretty well thus far. But they're only, what, 5 years in? That's actually not a long time to show durability - especially since we're only 2 years from the updated design.

I swallowed hard a couple of years ago when my wife decided she wanted the Subaru Ascent. It's bigger and heavier than the Bronco, but the only engine option is a 2.4L DOHC I4 engine which produces 260 HP and 277 lb. -ft of torque. However, I trust the durability of the Subie 4-cylinders. Fwiw, that amount of power has been plenty for the Ascent. It never feels underpowered. In fact, my wife regularly remarks that she is impressed by the acceleration.

So, my experience with the Ascent makes me believe the 2.3L will have enough power for the Bronco since it beats the Subie i4 in both HP and torque, and the Bronco is a smaller vehicle. My only remaining concern, then, is longevity.

Reading the comments here has me feeling a bit more confident in the 2.3L. OTOH, more hp is always nice. So I may still end up with the 2.7L unless I really have to make some sacrifices on cost.
Sponsored

da_jokker

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JKUR
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

I'm also wresting with the 2.3 or the 2.7. I lean toward the 2.7, but as I play with projected numbers, it appears I'm probably heading above my target price, so I may stick with the 2.3 to trim expenses.

I'm not really concerned about the power, although more power is nice. My issue is that I still don't really trust a Ford 4-cyl. It's been a long time since I owned a Ford (I've owned two Mustangs and a Taurus). My parents were fond of Fords, and the older 4-cyls by Ford were crap. Granted, this was 40+ years ago when I was kid. It seems the Ecoboost motors are doing pretty well thus far. But they're only, what, 5 years in? That's actually not a long time to show durability - especially since we're only 2 years from the updated design.

I swallowed hard a couple of years ago when my wife decided she wanted the Subaru Ascent. It's bigger and heavier than the Bronco, but the only engine option is a 2.4L DOHC I4 engine which produces 260 HP and 277 lb. -ft of torque. However, I trust the durability of the Subie 4-cylinders. Fwiw, that amount of power has been plenty for the Ascent. It never feels underpowered. In fact, my wife regularly remarks that she is impressed by the acceleration.

So, my experience with the Ascent makes me believe the 2.3L will have enough power for the Bronco since it beats the Subie i4 in both HP and torque, and the Bronco is a smaller vehicle. My only remaining concern, then, is longevity.

Reading the comments here has me feeling a bit more confident in the 2.3L. OTOH, more hp is always nice. So I may still end up with the 2.7L unless I really have to make some sacrifices on cost.
Just remember that many things can be upgraded later... engine really isn't one of them. So if something in you budget has to give, let aftermarket down the road save you... that is if you really wanted the 2.7.

butler.bc

Big Bend
First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru Forester
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
This truck will be my 11 year old sons in 5 years and I want a manual transmission so his friends can't likely drive it and he cant text and drive. Him being a little underpowered may not be a bad idea either.
When I was 16, I could shift gears, eat a cheeseburger, hold a Coke (no cup holders), and get a cassette tape out of the glove box and into the stereo all at the same time. Don’t expect a stick shift to keep him from texting.

DaveH

Badlands
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
14 Ford Focus, 98 Ford Expedition
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

When I was 16, I could shift gears, eat a cheeseburger, hold a Coke (no cup holders), and get a cassette tape out of the glove box and into the stereo all at the same time. Don’t expect a stick shift to keep him from texting.
This is an important skill set. It takes a lot of practice to be able to do all of these at one time. :) Sub out adjust streaming seatings and texting for the cassette and cup holder, and you are completely up to date.
Sponsored