Sponsored

Not a gear head so explain to me 2.3 vs 2.7 . . .

da_jokker

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JKUR
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

2015 Ford Edge Sport 2.7L

22-24 MPG when driving conservative mixed city/highway
18-19 MPG when on sport mode in spirited driving
27-28 MPG highway
If I could get 25 mpg highway I would be happy-ish. That would be about $80 per month in commute gas than current, but doable.
Sponsored

Spooled

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Raptor
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Clubs

The Bronco is heavy with aggressive axle ratios. I see 2.3 Broncos averaging 20mpg max (a base with the 30in tires mayyyybe 21-22). I could see a loaded high trim w/ sasquatch averaging 17-18mpg max.

DrewBronc21

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Subaru STi, 2018 Camry Hybrid
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
The only reason I see to get the 2.3 is for the manual or to save a few $. although I haven’t heard great things about the 10speed.

I will probably end up with the 2.3 just for the Manual and tune it Like I do with all my turbo cars

DeltaBravo

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Delta
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
MIKES MOM
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

bigger motor bigger vroom

DeltaBravo

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Delta
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
MIKES MOM
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

A 2.3 is a large 4-banger. A 2.7 is a TINY six cylinder.
This.

4 bangers are usually anywhere from like 1.2L-2.6L a V6 is usually 2.7L-4.6 and then youll see V8s go from idk.... 4.8-6.?

Least from what I have seen. You throw turbos in there and V6s will hang with V8s and stuff... technology is amazing. Just know that the ecoboost motor is amazing technology.

Sponsored

Dick_Castlesmurff

Badlands
First Name
Dick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Forester
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
The Bronco is heavy with aggressive axle ratios. I see 2.3 Broncos averaging 20mpg max (a base with the 30in tires mayyyybe 21-22). I could see a loaded high trim w/ sasquatch averaging 17-18mpg max.
Which is likely the exact same the 2.7 will get.

Mopar2Bronco2021

Base
First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Dodge Charger RT 5.7L
Your Bronco Model
Base
This.

4 bangers are usually anywhere from like 1.2L-2.6L a V6 is usually 2.7L-4.6 and then youll see V8s go from idk.... 4.8-6.?

Least from what I have seen. You throw turbos in there and V6s will hang with V8s and stuff... technology is amazing. Just know that the ecoboost motor is amazing technology.
Unless it’s a Cummins. 6.7L 6 cylinder babyyyyy

69351windsor

Base
First Name
JW
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
69 Merc, Ranger, HD
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Never wanted to be the one saying "Damn! I coulda had a V-6!!"...:LOL:
Unless its really going to be over 2K or something stupid....

Straight 6

Outer Banks
First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
It'll be interesting to see how fast these things are
Speed comes from HP
270 vs 300 would tell me that the 6 will probably not be much faster than the 4 in terms of 0-60.

I'd bet a 4 cyl 2 door could dust a 6 cyl 4 door in a drag race with the weight difference between the two.

But these aren't drag racers and the bigger torque will make the 6 more responsive, and of course it'll sound much better.

You guys think 0-60 in mid 6s is reasonable?

Aman

Badlands
First Name
Aman
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1998 M3, 2008 Armada, and 2022 Badlands ManSquatch
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Sponsored

Cheshire

Banned
Base
Banned
Banned
First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
4Dr Bronco BaseSquatch 2.7L
Your Bronco Model
Base
I'm sure the 2.7 upgrade will be a pricy option. Plus you lose the option to have a manual transmission.

If you upgrade you gain "only" 40hp (270 on 2.3, 310 on 2.7) but get 105 ft-lb more torque (295 vs 400)

If 95% of my use of this truck as a DD not towing anything is that hp/torque difference going to be that noticable? Am I going to be disappointed in my 2 door being under powered?

Initially I was upset I couldn't get the manual transmission in the 2.7 but the more time I've had to think about it I'm not so sure the 2.3 won't be just fine my 2 door and meet my needs. Plus save me some money and allow me to have the manual which I really desire. This truck will be my 11 year old sons in 5 years and I want a manual transmission so his friends can't likely drive it and he cant text and drive. Him being a little underpowered may not be a bad idea either.

My buddy at my local Ford dealership is going to let me come test drive a Ranger in a 2.3 if they have any available so I can get a feel for it.
I had 3 Wrangler Rubicons and 2 LR Defender 90s. The Defenders were slow and terrible on the highway. Guzzled gas like Nicholas Cage in 'Leaving Las Vegas'. The Jeeps were a little better, but always felt under powered on the highway. Off road, all these cars were great with plenty of power. I also had a 4 Runner which I appreciated most all around. My guess is the Bronco 2.3L will be as good as these trucks in terms of power, hopefully a little better and hopefully better gas mileage! I'm leaning heavily towards the 2.7L because I like to go fast when I want to. As an all around daily driver, the bigger engine makes a big difference.

I have a Focus ST with the turbo 2.3L and it's quick and a lot of fun to drive and is the car that sold me on Ford. The added weight, poor aerodynamics and off road tires will make the Bronco feel sluggish on the highway, imo. If you an afford, go with the 2.7L. I'm also a lover of manual transmission, but I Never missed in my automatic Jeeps or automatic D90.

To reiterate, being under power is annoying AF.

mrklas

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda HRV
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Both of the engines offered have a proven track record and offer good performance.

The 2.7 EB with two turbos will have more immediate torque than the 2.4 EB.

The question I would ask when considering one or the other is the primary goal of the vehicle and desired transmission.

And if you have never driven a turbo motor with a manual you may choose to increase your shifting points. When driving around town you may want to shift at 4,000 RPM versus 3,000 RPM.

And as a reference - I bet a Bronco 2.3 EB with a manual is likely not to far off in 0-60s of many of the muscle cars from the late 60s and early 70s.

USMC_n_philly

Outer Banks
First Name
Deno
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
6G Mustang
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
if I want this as a good daily & off road once or twice... but will keep 10 yrs.. so I want the most reliable engine.. will 2.3L last that long? I have read that turbos wear down faster. my V6 2015 Stang will last me 250k miles...

da_jokker

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JKUR
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

if I want this as a good daily & off road once or twice... but will keep 10 yrs.. so I want the most reliable engine.. will 2.3L last that long? I have read that turbos wear down faster. my V6 2015 Stang will last me 250k miles...

IF you believe that, then yes you want the 2.3 because the 2.7 has 2 turbos instead of just the 1!

But the reality is, that if you take care of it, use the correct oil and do the changes, the consensus is the turbo(s) will last plenty. Chances are, you'll break something else first!

Crowleyman

Black Diamond
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘19 Durango
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Is anyone concerned about the Getrag with increased HP from a tune? I’m reading that it’s close to its limit with the stock 2.3. Be a shame to get to 400-ish HP, and leave your gears on the street.
Sponsored