Sponsored

Not a gear head so explain to me 2.3 vs 2.7 . . .

bluesun68

Wildtrak
First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
raptor, velar, f-type
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
While y'all are talking mileage and power, don't forget that the Sasquatch package with those big tires will impact things a lot. Even more if you get some heavier tires.
Sponsored

BlueBronco

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 F150 KR - '21 BL - 23' OBX
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
@MCG DAWG I didn't read through all 8 pages but you will be just fine with the 2.3L. That motor puts out near identical numbers to the 3.6L v6 motor used in the Wranglers. I have a 4 door and it gets around just fine on 35" tires and a stock tune. If you are getting a 2 door it will have less weight to push around and be even peppier. If you decide you need a bit more power a cone type K&N air filter and less restrictive exhaust will do wonders for a turbo motor.

rgwinn

First Edition
First Name
Rod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘62 Vette
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

What? Except for large trucks, almost nothing has been over 4.0L for decades.
Well, I have a 6 cyl in my Ram, that’s 6.7L , not sure I would want to put that in a 2-door Bronco. ?

Compta38

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Fusion
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I'm not even looking at the 2.3. the Bronco is too big for a 4 cylinder. I'm not going to order the thing then wish I got the bigger engine when it gets here. You never see anybody say "damn, wish I got the 4 cylinder instead of v6" do you?

DrewBronc21

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Subaru STi, 2018 Camry Hybrid
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I'm not even looking at the 2.3. the Bronco is too big for a 4 cylinder. I'm not going to order the thing then wish I got the bigger engine when it gets here. You never see anybody say "damn, wish I got the 4 cylinder instead of v6" do you?
270 HP and 310 torque should move the Bronco just fine but I agree about the bigger is better.....except if you have to have a manual

Sponsored

da_jokker

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JKUR
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Only at the gas pumps!

Dick_Castlesmurff

Badlands
First Name
Dick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Forester
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I'm sure the 2.7 upgrade will be a pricy option. Plus you lose the option to have a manual transmission.

If you upgrade you gain "only" 40hp (270 on 2.3, 310 on 2.7) but get 105 ft-lb more torque (295 vs 400)

If 95% of my use of this truck as a DD not towing anything is that hp/torque difference going to be that noticable? Am I going to be disappointed in my 2 door being under powered?

Initially I was upset I couldn't get the manual transmission in the 2.7 but the more time I've had to think about it I'm not so sure the 2.3 won't be just fine my 2 door and meet my needs. Plus save me some money and allow me to have the manual which I really desire. This truck will be my 11 year old sons in 5 years and I want a manual transmission so his friends can't likely drive it and he cant text and drive. Him being a little underpowered may not be a bad idea either.

My buddy at my local Ford dealership is going to let me come test drive a Ranger in a 2.3 if they have any available so I can get a feel for it.
You left out economy. In the past people chose a 4 cylinder over a bigger engine option was because what it lacked in power it made up for with better MPG and much cheaper entry price.

Looking at the 2.3 on the Ranger (which is heavier and less aerodynamic) it gets 18-21 MPG. Looking it at the 2.7 on the F-150 it gets 17-20 MPG. So fair to predict the 2.3 on the Bronco will be getting maybe about 1 MPG better than a 2.7.

As for initial purchase price if upgrading (including the trans) is $1k-$3k, that will amount to 2-3 percent max of the total price of the Bronco.

I think it's also worth noting that on the Mustang the 2.3 can get up to 32 MPG. The 2.7 isn't offered in the mustang, but I imagine MPG would tap out at around 26 MPG if it did. Which I take to mean that the 2.3 has to work harder in a truck application than the 2.7.

Outside of the manual, I see zero upside to the 2.3 over the 2.7. As much as I want a manual, I don't know that it will make enough sense to actually buy one. To people who are already sold on the 10speed.... IDK why they wouldn't want the upgrade.

Dick_Castlesmurff

Badlands
First Name
Dick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Forester
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
If the 4 cylinder got 10 MPG more than the V6 I'd regret it.... I currently drive a 4 cylinder Forester that gets 30 MPG. I'm not looking forward the 18 MPG from a 4 cylinder at all.

But... I will drive a V6 that gets 18 MPG.

da_jokker

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JKUR
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

If the 4 cylinder got 10 MPG more than the V6 I'd regret it.... I currently drive a 4 cylinder Forester that gets 30 MPG. I'm not looking forward the 18 MPG from a 4 cylinder at all.

But... I will drive a V6 that gets 18 MPG.

lol... Hey that's a good excuse... I'll have to remember that one because my car also gets 33+ mpg right now so the bronco is going to hurt in more ways than one.

Sponsored

SoccerDude

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
4Runner
Your Bronco Model
Base
We have the 2.7L TT in our Ford Edge Sport, it was the primary reason for going with an Ford Edge ...

Just a few notes on the 2.7L:
Crazy powerful across the entire RPM range
Gas mileage will vary greatly on how you drive it
High torque, feels like it wants to go and be opened up

Dick_Castlesmurff

Badlands
First Name
Dick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Forester
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
We have the 2.7L TT in our Ford Edge Sport, it was the primary reason for going with an Ford Edge ...

Just a few notes on the 2.7L:
Crazy powerful across the entire RPM range
Gas mileage will vary greatly on how you drive it
High torque, feels like it wants to go and be opened up
What is the MGP you get under "normal" driving conditions? I see on the f 150 it gets 17-20....

SoccerDude

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
4Runner
Your Bronco Model
Base
What is the MGP you get under "normal" driving conditions? I see on the f 150 it gets 17-20....
2015 Ford Edge Sport 2.7L

22-24 MPG when driving conservative mixed city/highway
18-19 MPG when on sport mode in spirited driving
27-28 MPG highway

paxfish

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
f150 fx4 eco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

All good info.

F=ma cannot be denied. From that perspective alone we should beat an F150 in mpg which likely has similar aero drag.

Samquanches excepted!

Dick_Castlesmurff

Badlands
First Name
Dick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Forester
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
2015 Ford Edge Sport 2.7L

22-24 MPG when driving conservative mixed city/highway
18-19 MPG when on sport mode in spirited driving
27-28 MPG highway
So basically the exact same as the 2.3 in the mustang. Lol. I really don't know why Ford is using the 2.3 in truck applications.
Sponsored