Sponsored

Not a gear head so explain to me 2.3 vs 2.7 . . .

DrewBronc21

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Subaru STi, 2018 Camry Hybrid
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Is anyone concerned about the Getrag with increased HP from a tune? I’m reading that it’s close to its limit with the stock 2.3. Be a shame to get to 400-ish HP, and leave your gears on the street.
Im a little concerned. The Mt is rated for about 400 torque which should be easily achievable with a tune, but the rating could be conservative. We won’t be sure until shops get a hold of these and start doing their thing.
Sponsored

Cheshire

Banned
Base
Banned
Banned
First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
4Dr Bronco BaseSquatch 2.7L
Your Bronco Model
Base
if I want this as a good daily & off road once or twice... but will keep 10 yrs.. so I want the most reliable engine.. will 2.3L last that long? I have read that turbos wear down faster. my V6 2015 Stang will last me 250k miles...
Get the 2.7L !!!

Ddtcm81

Big Bend
First Name
Tc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1997 F150
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Just going to throw this out there.... 2.7 requires the 10sp AT- Class-action lawsuit against Ford (proposed) over that transmission, class action over the focus/ fiesta trans, and mustangs 6pd getrag MT. Just pick which product you don't want Ford to fix when it breaks and be happy.

Buckin’Around

Wildtrak
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Mercedes Benz ML63
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Im a little concerned. The Mt is rated for about 400 torque which should be easily achievable with a tune, but the rating could be conservative. We won’t be sure until shops get a hold of these and start doing their thing.
That won’t take long considering they most likely have the codes cracked for tuning because of the motors have been used for years.

Sponsored

Mustang_75_99

Badlands
First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Ford F150, 2005 Mustang GT
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Full disclosure: I love a V8, nothing beats the exhaust note of a V8! My Stang is a loud SOB. But also my 3.5 Eco F150 is awesome! For those old school guys that "have to have" a V8 go test drive a 3.5 Eco and tell me how "inferior" it is to bigger displacement engines.

On to the issue at hand....my wife drives a '17 Explorer with the 2.3L Eco and it does great, decent power, quiet at highway speeds and pretty good mpg in a big vehicle. I wouldn't hesitate getting this engine in the Bronc especially if the 2 door is gonna be your choice or if a tune is in your future.

However with that being said I know a couple of guys that have the 2.7 in their F150's and they love it! Nothing but good things to say about that drive train and whenever I have ridden in their trucks I also am impressed. I am gonna go with the 2.7, that little engine will make get that Bronc get up go with room to grow! Totally worth the upgrade!

spyderman01

Base
First Name
Joseph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Maverick
Your Bronco Model
Base
A 2.3L with 270 hp and 310 lb-ft of torque has more power than most production cars / trucks.
The 2.3L has similar power to my 2013 X3 335xi, and that car weighs similar and is no slouch! The 2.3L should be plenty of power and the 2.7 I imagine would be quite quick on the road!

USMC_n_philly

Outer Banks
First Name
Deno
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
6G Mustang
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
The 2.3L has similar power to my 2013 X3 335xi, and that car weighs similar and is no slouch! The 2.3L should be plenty of power and the 2.7 I imagine would be quite quick on the road!
do you think that this 2.3 will last as long as the 2.7?

Bronco4lyfe85

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Challenger Scat Pack
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Wife gets the 2.3 because she definitely doesn’t need a faster car. My car has a 6.4L so the 2.3 is hilariously small in comparison.

Sponsored

D K

Base
First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FJ Cruiser
Your Bronco Model
Base
I wonder what the weight difference is going to be...?

I can tell you that driving the F150 2.7 feels like a 'truck' - heavy, loads of torque, etc.
The Ranger with the 2.3 is quick, zippy and feels very light.

Broncocito

First Name
B
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Tacoma TRD PRO Manual
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
I wonder what the weight difference is going to be...?

I can tell you that driving the F150 2.7 feels like a 'truck' - heavy, loads of torque, etc.
The Ranger with the 2.3 is quick, zippy and feels very light.
Perhaps the 2.7 will feel even more quick, zippy and light. Just saying...

USMC_n_philly

Outer Banks
First Name
Deno
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
6G Mustang
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Being a smaller engine doesn't mean it won't last as long. I had an old Toyota pickup 4 banger that had over 300,000 miles on it...and some V8s don't make it that long.

It all depends on how you use it and how you take care of it. Engine size is one small factor of many when it comes to vehicle longevity.
I will b just driving on the highway back & forth from Philly to NJ... thafs basically it.. off road maybe once..
Being a smaller engine doesn't mean it won't last as long. I had an old Toyota pickup 4 banger that had over 300,000 miles on it...and some V8s don't make it that long.

It all depends on how you use it and how you take care of it. Engine size is one small factor of many when it comes to vehicle longevity.
I will be driving from Philly to NJ.... offroad just once probably.. so wondering will 4 banger will last 100k miles..

RedTetsu13

Black Diamond
First Name
Stephen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Elantra Sedan
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I'm sure the 2.7 upgrade will be a pricy option. Plus you lose the option to have a manual transmission.

If you upgrade you gain "only" 40hp (270 on 2.3, 310 on 2.7) but get 105 ft-lb more torque (295 vs 400)

If 95% of my use of this truck as a DD not towing anything is that hp/torque difference going to be that noticable? Am I going to be disappointed in my 2 door being under powered?

Initially I was upset I couldn't get the manual transmission in the 2.7 but the more time I've had to think about it I'm not so sure the 2.3 won't be just fine my 2 door and meet my needs. Plus save me some money and allow me to have the manual which I really desire. This truck will be my 11 year old sons in 5 years and I want a manual transmission so his friends can't likely drive it and he cant text and drive. Him being a little underpowered may not be a bad idea either.

My buddy at my local Ford dealership is going to let me come test drive a Ranger in a 2.3 if they have any available so I can get a feel for it.

I've had the luck of test driving both engines in the ranger and F150 respectively. Honestly the biggest things I got out of the test drive was that even though the 2.3 should be more fuel efficient due to its smaller size, I was basically getting the same fuel economy with the 2.7 even though it was in a heavier vehicle. Another big difference is engine tech, the 2.3 is only Direct Injection where as the 2.7 is Dual Injection (in theory it should last longer if you assume all maintenance equal). That said for your purposes I would say based on reviews of the Ranger and people who tow big with the Ranger, it's more than enough (along with the first ride impressions).

Blitzinger

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tiguan
Your Bronco Model
Base
Not a gear head either but here’s why I’m going with 2.7

I plan on doing overlanding with the bronco.I was inspired by vehicles I saw doing it, main one being Land Rovers defender (older models). They were known to have transmission issues with Transmissions/engines.Reason being? The car was somewhat heavy but once you added roof top tent, canopy, fridge, typical camp cargo, etc, it was a lot of work for engine and transmissions.

that said, I feel like 2.7 will be better equipped for all that
Sponsored