Sponsored

Not a gear head so explain to me 2.3 vs 2.7 . . .

paxfish

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
f150 fx4 eco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

The 2.7 has direct fuel injection AND port fuel injection to mitigate carbon buildup on the intake valves.

I don't know if a catch can on the 2.3 would yield similar results.
Sponsored

Toccoa

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Isuzu Rodeo Sport
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
For the past 17 years I have driven a full size truck that wouldn't fit in any garage I've owned. This will be a second vehicle for me and will get to live in the garage. That should help significantly. You from Toccoa Ga? I'm not far from there.
Garaged cars are always happier. Rains overnight. Not on your car. ?

I’m not from Toccoa. Just a name that stuck.

SouthernBronco6g

First Edition
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
MPT- More Power Tuning who tunes F150 Ecoboost, Raptors and Mustangs has reservations for a couple of Broncos. They have stated that the 2.7 V6 EB will make over 400 whp reliably once tuned and bolt ons. Thats more then enough for me.

Also go look at the technology Ford, put into that 2.7 V6 EB, they used tech that is used in Diesels for the 2.7 V6 EB.

I also don’t like how many peps I’ve seen with Mustang 2.3 EB 4 cylinder who have blown the block up above 400 whp. when tuned. So if your ok in the 300-350 whp range reliably nothing wrong with the 2.3 EB 4 cyl.

Spooled

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Raptor
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Clubs

The 2.3 will be just fine for most people. In the Ranger, it's only slower than the Colorado V6 regarding 0-60 times. Add a tune, and it's a different beast. The 2.0 in my Focus ST was night and day factory vs. tuned. If you must have a manual, the 2.3 will be fine for you MOST of the time. I wouldn't be afraid of it. It's not underpowered compared to its competition.

Toccoa

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Isuzu Rodeo Sport
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
2.7L is absolutely tiny for an American vehicle, I’m used to 6.0L, 8.1L, 6.2L etc.
What? Except for large trucks, almost nothing has been over 4.0L for decades.

Sponsored

pan-y-cerveza

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tacoma Pro
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Does your daily drive involve merging onto highways or into traffic? Some extra torque will pop you into place.
This is just a man's excuse to get a bigger engine. A 2.3 will pop you into place just fine. You don't need extra horsepower and torque to merge onto a highway. Ha. If you do then maybe your driving needs to be checked.

I merge just fine with a 2.3l Escape and 150hp. I can even do it hauling a camper.

Raptor911

Raptor
First Name
Raptor911
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 F150 Raptor, 2022 Wildtrak
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
The 2.7 has direct and port injection and I believe the 2.3 ONLY has direct injection. If Ford releases the 2.3 in the bronco with only direct injection then you do NOT want it and you should select the 2.7.

Some back history .. the 3.5EB and 2.7EB 1st gen engines only has direct injection and it was an issue. Ford redesigned both engines to add port injection. They did this as the longevity of only direct injection is an issue.

I will be getting the 2.7L unless ford announces the Raptor/Warthog or whatever they call it with the 3.0EB in the near future

OX1

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
59 Bird, 70, 74, 78, 79 Broncos, 84 LTD 331 w/Vortech, 86 Capri 5.0 turbo, 14 Stang GT, 17 Fusion Sport
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Time to spool is going to be significantly better with two small turbos vs one big one, especially with almost 1/2 a L more engine to start with. That stat doesn't show up in "guys with tuned mustangs", as they are brake boosting and then flooring it. The 2.7 should be a stand alone option on any trim, if it's not now..

NCOBX

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
H2 Hummer, Holden Commodore
Your Bronco Model
Base
What? Except for large trucks, almost nothing has been over 4.0L for decades.
The two 2017 6.2L 4 door M6/A6 Chevrolet sedans, 6.0 H2, 5.3L Colorado, and 4.7L 4Runner outside say hi.
The several 5.7/6.4L JGC/Durango’s near my house all send a wave. Of course I didn’t include big trucks in that, 7.3L Ford is looking good.

Frankly I think most Americans see little engines as reserved for the poor and the very young. Huge mental battle to have to spend my own money on a tiny 2.3L.

OX1

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
59 Bird, 70, 74, 78, 79 Broncos, 84 LTD 331 w/Vortech, 86 Capri 5.0 turbo, 14 Stang GT, 17 Fusion Sport
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
This is just a man's excuse to get a bigger engine. A 2.3 will pop you into place just fine. You don't need extra horsepower and torque to merge onto a highway. Ha. If you do then maybe your driving needs to be checked.

I merge just fine with a 2.3l Escape and 150hp. I can even do it hauling a camper.
When traffic is doing 80+ regularly (even in the slow/merge lane), yes you do. Even the woman will not take anything slower than her 2.0 escape at this point, and it's purely the fact she wants to merge from 35 to at least 65, QUICK!!!

Sponsored

OX1

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
The two 2017 6.2L 4 door M6/A6 Chevrolet sedans, 6.0 H2, 5.3L Colorado, and 4.7L 4Runner outside say hi.
The several 5.7/6.4L JGC/Durango’s near my house all send a wave. Of course I didn’t include big trucks in that, 7.3L Ford is looking good.

Frankly I think most Americans see little engines as reserved for the poor and the very young. Huge mental battle to have to spend my own money on a tiny 2.3L.
The Wrangler 396, just leaked, also says hello. At least Ford finally got a new kinda compact V-8 we can swap in.

Tslater1989

Badlands
First Name
Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2001 f150, 2016 explorer, 97 f150
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
The 2.3l is a good motor even without a tune. If you opt for the lower ratio axles and the 7 speed with the crawler gear. The torque multiplication will make it beast off road. Daily driver, cruising, in town errands. The 2.3 is great. The v6 is moreso meant for those who want either the bragging rights, or plan on going to bigger tires. If I was looking for a budget friendly trail rig to take deep in the woods, the 2.3, 2dr, manual, with the sasquatch package would be ideal.

NCOBX

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
H2 Hummer, Holden Commodore
Your Bronco Model
Base
The Wrangler 396, just leaked, also says hello. At least Ford finally got a new kinda compact V-8 we can swap in.
Yes, frankly I don’t believe the Wrangler 396 will happen, and if it does I’m going to cautiously watch to see how many D44s get exploded. If they actually make it, and get it right, I will definitely get one, it’s a dream come true for the off-road world. The power is right, gets the axles right and I’m sold.

If not, then the 7.3 or even 5.0L would be a good swap for the Bronco, it would actually drive and sound like a truck we all want.

pan-y-cerveza

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tacoma Pro
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

When traffic is doing 80+ regularly (even in the slow/merge lane), yes you do. Even the woman will not take anything slower than her 2.0 escape at this point, and it's purely the fact she wants to merge from 35 to at least 65, QUICK!!!
Every day millions of people merge on the highway with clapped out old 4 cylinders. You don't need a big engine to drive on a highway. Again....y'all just looking for an excuse.

Sure...quicker is better but a 2.7L isn't the starting entry fee to the highway.

Toccoa

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Isuzu Rodeo Sport
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend

Not trying to start a pissing contest, but I said ALMOST nothing. I get it that you have a hang up on engine size. That's your prerogative. It's cool. However, horsepower/torque and power to weight ratio are the real indicators of performance. If a 50cc scooter engine could give me 270hp, I'd say throw it in the Bronco. Heck, put a 50cc badge on it and wear it with pride.
Sponsored