Sponsored

Not ok! Dealer taking liberties with customer and charging for unnecessary "Accessory Package"

phocion

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 Mustang
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

This seems to be the new way to get around the whole ADM thing I guess.
It's not new, but it's becoming more prevalent. Same goes for dealers that will reject all outside financing so they can guarantee their cut on that end, too. Anecdotally it seems like this happens more often at smaller dealers (or dealers that have recently changed owners) that are having trouble competing under the usual rules of the game.

I would rather be charged straight-up ADM than have the dealer pretend they are doing something for me with these BS add-ons. Or if you're gonna run a scam with unavoidable crap, at least do it with something like an extended warranty which has some value to the customer.
Sponsored

BroncoAZ

Badlands
First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 2 Door Badlands manual, 2021 Tacoma TRD OR
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Thats funny... The Karr Alarm basically arms the Broncos alarm, locks and unlocks the door.... Just like the key fobs that already come with it...only with an ugly @$$ fob instead of the nice one.
The Karr alarm on my 2005 Titan from Lawley was an ignition delay so you had to turn the key to the run position and wait about 5 seconds before turning to the start position or the vehicle wouldn’t start. There were no fobs, just the factory keys. I actually didn’t hate it until I had some issues and Nissan denied my warranty on the harness because some clown had hacked into it to install their POS system. Many dealerships in AZ end up installing some sort of alarm/tracker as soon as the vehicle hits the lot, most cause some sort of damage to the wiring harness.

GrabberMav

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
Your Bronco Model
Base
It's not new, but it's becoming more prevalent. Same goes for dealers that will reject all outside financing so they can guarantee their cut on that end, too. Anecdotally it seems like this happens more often at smaller dealers (or dealers that have recently changed owners) that are having trouble competing under the usual rules of the game.

I would rather be charged straight-up ADM than have the dealer pretend they are doing something for me with these BS add-ons. Or if you're gonna run a scam with unavoidable crap, at least do it with something like an extended warranty which has some value to the customer.
Well yea I guess thats what I meant. This was on a vehicle I was going to order as well not an in stock unit. But I bought a new car from another brand a few months ago and it was absolutely no BS. MSRP, taxes and a small dealer fee. Never one time tried to sell me anything extra like warranties or coatings nor did they care at all where the financing came from. Easiest car buying experience of my life. The dealers ae out there just hard to find sometimes.

2050Broncoorsomething

Black Diamond
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
This is exactly why I didnt use my local dealer for the Bronco order. They have their Demo 2 Door Badlands for 80k.

Went through Long McArthur and will not use anyone else for buying Ford from here on in.

Sponsored

j_anderson

Outer Banks
First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

As others have suggested, I would offer to pay the money as an ADM but ask them not install their products.

There is an add-on alarm product FORD sells as an accessory you could ask them to use in lieu of the Karr product. At least that would be covered by warranty and not hack up your wire harness. I think it's called perimeter plus or something of the like. I believe its a module that is plugged into a vacant connector, a red led light and some programming to activate it.

Once the deal is done, rate them poorly on the survey Ford will send you and then blast their online ratings with the help of your friends and the forum

GreenMtnBronco

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 BadSquatch; 13 Wrangler JK; 04 Lifted Mini
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

What do you think it was, that caused you not to get the delivery price unambiguously agreed to, nailed down and signed at the time of placing the order? Were you going off an assumption that MSRP was the agreed delivery price? Was there at least a clear conversation with the sales person at the time of order, about the final delivery price? When reading some of these similar stories, it seems in a lot of cases, not even that basic conversation took place.
i think the problem is that everyone gets a sheet of the order (DORA?) to approve, often sign off on, and that has MSRP on every item and a total. It's not wrong to think that's the price you are paying...

Cable Guy

Badlands
First Name
Kurt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Audi RS7
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

The dealer in my (now)hometown has a Bronco with a MSRP of something like $49999 and added $50K markup.

We stopped just to look and the young man tried to come sell us and we tried telling him, "Don't waste your time , we're JUST kicking tires here.." But he of course tried the whole "Oh I'm new, maybe I can practice on you..." - what are we going to do, say no?

Anyway- turns out this dealership puts at least $10K worth of options on EVERY VEHICLE THEY GET... a Pinstripe package, a $2000 Protection Package and $3000 Options package and install stuff like two safes, one in the center console and one in the rear, "So you can lock your stuff up!" - === Doesn't. Seem. Legit. If I wanted a motherfreaking Pinstripe on my new vehicle, I will arrange to do that. I didn't ask for Protection Packs or Option Packs or Nitrogen in the tires (Homeboy tells me it's for those Cold Mornings when your tire pressure is not right... it's Central FL bro, we don't have cold mornings.... if we do, there are a handful a year, I can live without Nitrogen Tires...) I just can't even believe - you add TEN GRAND worth of add-ons that customers DID NOT ASK FOR on every vehicle you get, how are you in business?!
I’ve lived in MN my whole life. At -40 I’ve only ever seen tire pressure variation between tires of 4 or 5 psi and even that is really rare. Nitrogen is a f’ing joke. Are there ANY honest dealerships out there? And, these clowns wonder why they collectively have bad reputations? These legacy car makers are screwed in the long-term stuck with these dealership models. Dying model that will put them at a competitive disadvantage. Think taxi vs. Uber.

Last edited:

Pokey

Outer Banks
First Name
Jennifer
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Looks like what I got with my Bronco. I was good with the "add ons" because the delivery fee was not charged to me. So, instead of paying the delivery/transport fee of $1495 I got the door guards, tint, nitro, vehicle recovery...to me I at least got something. I'm not seeing a delivery charge on yours, could that be the case?

Sponsored

notbuildingrockets

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Bronco Black Diamond, 2010 Ford Escape
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Hey Brongco6G, just when I thought everything was going great. I got my VIN in November, then my build date, and now I have an estimated delivery date! Yes, this is where we have all wanted to be, right? But my salesperson at Lawley Ford in Sierra Vista just sent me my Purchase Agreement (attached below). Why would anyone want these things on a brand new soft-top Bronco? I was never informed of these extra fees and I chose this dealership because I thought they didn't charge ridiculous extra fees. When I asked if they could remove them because I don't need/want them, the head sales manager called and told me that they have such a small profit margin, they have to "make money somewhere." Isnt' that what "doc fees" are supposed to be for?

Anyone else dealt with this nonsense? Any suggestions on getting around it? I tried to change dealerships already (November 2021 case #), but no luck since Ford is so backed up on dealership transfer requests.

Bronco Purchase Order.jpg
lol this is a joke. I work as a sales person at a dealership in Ontario, Canada and first of all, the "need to make money somewhere" line is gross. There's about $4-6k in gross profit on the Bronco, depending on the trim level, plus a huge mark-up on an aftermarket parts you might purchase (ie: I'm upgrading my tires, level kit, etc). But even if you decide not to do anything to your Bronco, this is gouging.

$499 for TINT?! Bro it's $60 per window and that's being generous. Plus your rear windows already have privacy tint, so you're looking at $120 and that should last ALMOST the lifetime of the vehicle lol the alarm is redundant, the Bronco comes with an alarm and FordPass to locate your vehicle anywhere in the world. And nitro fill? How is that still a thing.

Insist that you don't need these products. There's no way they can force you to take them. At least in Ontario, those things have to be optional.

Br66co

Badlands
First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1966 Bronco U13, 2015 Explorer Sport Lux.
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I would be Beyond upset if they spliced into my new vehicles wiring harness to put in an aftermarket alarm in that serves as a tracker for the dealer lending purposes. No need for it if you use a credit union for lending/loan.

LSBronco13

Wildtrak
First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Chevy Tahoe
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Where is the dealers agreement with the reservation holder that all of these fees were ok? It doesnt exist. Everyone needs to stop blaming reservation holders that put their faith in Ford's order system only to fall pray to bad dealers.
And like this is the first time a dealer performed these tactics? Dealers are not your smile with a handshake agreement friend. If you sued the dealer the FIRST thing the judge will ask for is the CONTRACTUAL AGREEMENT. You opened the door for the add -on cause it was WRITTEN in the DEALER order not a CUSTOMER CONTRACT that should have been agreed upon. Snooze you lose.