Not your average ordinary manual transmission (2.3 MT)

long_road

Black Diamond
First Name
TR
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 4dr Black Diamond 2.3 7MT (Ordered)
Bronco
Black Diamond
I've been driving nothing but manuals since the 90s. It was Ford's offering of a MT in the Bronco that first sucked me into becoming obsessed with this car. Pretty rad that it has a clutch-in-restart feature, first I've heard about that. Most modern MTs have the hill assist feature (which I hate...).

I had a 2014 Focus ST for a while. I really liked the feel of that shifter. If the Bronco manual is at all similar to that, I'll be happy. I've been kind of spoiled by having driven Honda manuals for nearly 30 years. They're just so good.

One of my great stressors in life is knowing there'll be a day when manuals are fully extinct and I'll have to buy an automatic. I'll feel like a part of me has died inside... Ha.
Advertisement

OP
OP
BossBronco

BossBronco

Badlands
Base Sponsor (Level 1)
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco MT
Bronco
Badlands
After owning 4 manual transmission vehicles over the course of decades, the new Bronco will be my first auto... ever. I will miss the manual, but I decided this was the best choice for me at this time in my life. But it will be sorely missed.
I sold my last 1995 manual trans car last year saying same thing. I messed my clutch foot, the arch, bodyboarding in the ocean last year. Plus getting older. Ive had many manual trans cars and love to drive. But last year I hung up my gloves and said thats it, only automatics moving forward.

Then I saw a lifted bronco at my dealer on labor day with my son. It had a MT. I fell in love. Partly just bc a dealer was selling a new awesome vehicle WITH a MANUAL TRANS!!

It has a 4cyl and a turbo...2 things I cant stand unless on an old car for various reasons. Mix those with a manual and a lot of weight might suck. But it doesnt. I have plenty of power and my 37s turn with ease thanks to the optional 4.7 axle, sprint booster and manual trans access to the full powerband. Enjoy the auto but when time is right...get a manual again. The manual in my bronco is so smooth and good. You would love it.

BrentC

Badlands
First Name
Brent
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 F150 Sport, 2018 Jeep Compass
Bronco
Badlands

Hkak45

Black Diamond
First Name
Harold K
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Bronco Black Diamond
Bronco
Black Diamond
Clubs

From 2013, actually. My 2013 ST had HSA.
I was referring to stalling an automatic. My 14 focus with automatic would stall when driving with that lovely DCA transmission lol

BrentC

Badlands
First Name
Brent
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 F150 Sport, 2018 Jeep Compass
Bronco
Badlands
I was referring to stalling an automatic. My 14 focus with automatic would stall when driving with that lovely DCA transmission lol
Whoops, my bad. I typed before my morning Red Bull!

😴

SgroiRoy

Badlands
First Name
Roy
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 Jeep Wrangler Sport 2-Door Flame Red
Bronco
Badlands
I originally was going with a Black Diamond with the Mid Package, which unfortunately forced me into the 10-Speed automatic. I've driven a manual pretty much my entire life, but figured perhaps it was time to go with an automatic considering my age.

It wasn't so much about my current age, but my age say 5-10 years from now. I tend to hang on to my vehicles for 10 years or more. So I was thinking, do I really want to be driving a manual well into my 70s?!

Thankfully I came to my senses; realizing how much I truly enjoy driving a manual! So I switched to the Badlands where I can have both (Mid package & manual)!

Admittedly, I honestly hadn't realized there was a way to get the Mid package and still have the manual until about a month ago. Thankfully upgrading to the Badlands is within my reach financially; saving up for my Bronco over the last 18 months certainly made that possible.

So the answer to do I really want to be driving a manual well into my 70s?

HELL YEAH!!

BernR6

First Name
Bernie
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mazda CX-5, 2018 Mazda 3
Bronco
Undecided
Clubs

I've been driving nothing but manuals since the 90s. It was Ford's offering of a MT in the Bronco that first sucked me into becoming obsessed with this car. Pretty rad that it has a clutch-in-restart feature, first I've heard about that. Most modern MTs have the hill assist feature (which I hate...).

I had a 2014 Focus ST for a while. I really liked the feel of that shifter. If the Bronco manual is at all similar to that, I'll be happy. I've been kind of spoiled by having driven Honda manuals for nearly 30 years. They're just so good.

One of my great stressors in life is knowing there'll be a day when manuals are fully extinct and I'll have to buy an automatic. I'll feel like a part of me has died inside... Ha.

Definitely agree with your points. I've driven nothing but MTs since the 90s as well. Ford's MT offering was the main reason for wanting this vehicle. Only ever had street cars and always wanted a MT 4x4. My first car was a 5sp manual 87 Plymouth Horizon. Haha. I got into Hondas after that, so I can understand being spoiled because of their smooth transmissions.

Unfortunately, my wife and I traded our 6sp Mazda 3 recently to save money...while waiting for the Bronco. Driving an auto SUV is brutal....1st time in 27 years not owning/driving a MT daily. I'm hoping I get mine in '22.

We need to #savethemanuals

Herbie

Badlands
First Name
Alex
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru
Bronco
Badlands
I cant believe i didn't know this auto off was on the manual broncos. I am just now reading this and still cant believe they would do this to a MT.

My bronco is "due" to be delivered this week. Where can the kit be purchased to eliminate this? I would like to get that ordered ASAP.

Whoever thought programming an engine to shut off when the clutch could be dropped at any point should go back to design school! On a commuter car, maybe, but on a 4WD that might be on a steep slope or in a tight spot...not sure that is a very good feature.
https://www.autostopeliminator.com/collections/ford/products/2021-ford-bronco-autostop-eliminator

OP
OP
BossBronco

BossBronco

Badlands
Base Sponsor (Level 1)
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco MT
Bronco
Badlands
I
I larned on a 72 Toyota Car-ola, in 1972...
Awesome. I was 7yrs old on a dirt road dtiving the 1988 sam. My real experience came when sneqking my dads '94 dodge viper rt/10 one of most dangerous MT cars at midnight when he was asleep (loud and he was a vietnam marine) at 14yrs old :)

Hkak45

Black Diamond
First Name
Harold K
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Bronco Black Diamond
Bronco
Black Diamond
Clubs

O
Whoops, my bad. I typed before my morning Red Bull!

😴
One car I still really want is a FoST or FiST! I've driven focus ST and those are really fun cars. Especially for daily drivers

SgroiRoy

Badlands
First Name
Roy
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 Jeep Wrangler Sport 2-Door Flame Red
Bronco
Badlands
OP
OP
BossBronco

BossBronco

Badlands
Base Sponsor (Level 1)
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco MT
Bronco
Badlands
Can't wait to install mine, just need to get the tools for it
I posted a review on auto stop install under another old username lol. You dont really need tools to do it. Maybe a screw driver and elbow grease. Awesome little upgrade! Get a sprint booster as well.

bigblueboing

Black Diamond
First Name
Keith
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Forester
Bronco
Black Diamond
Vehicle Showcase
The car I just sold for stupid money was a 12 vw beetle manual turbo
Also had hill hold