Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Black Diamond non squatch 4 door softtop v6
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Thanks to the FUBAR that B&P is and all the 'mis'information we get, I've done a thorough review of other options, and they all suck.

Baby Bronc aka Sport....well, it's leetle like my wife's RAV, tho' more capable, yes. No Race Red, no soft top....

Taco/4Runner (of which some have made softtops!), but I had a Taco and the powertrain is awful. Always hunting gears on the road. AND UNcomfortable.

Ranger...nope, not getting a 4 bang turbo'd or not. Heard way too many horror stories of the old ones so underpowered. Why not the 2.7? Alas....

Ridgeline, which finally does look like a truck....but it's still a Pilot sawed off....and no softtop....

Gladiator, no freakin' way would I drive that 1955 era front end on a road. Same for Wranglers.

Nissan, no.
GM, no.
Land Rover and it's offspring, no.

So I have this 08 Tundra that just keeps working. Maybe I should saw the top off.

Or, I have to wait for the Bronco. They've wrecked me!
Sponsored

Carolina Jim

Black Diamond
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco 2-door
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
100% correct. Ford does not deserve my money; I'd actually prefer Bronco was being made by Toyota. This'll be my last vehicle from Ford...and if the vehicle itself is anywhere near as bad as their administration, I won't be keeping it all that long anyway.

calgecko

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Chevy ZR2 Bison V6
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I've been spending quite a bit of time looking at options as well .. after reading numerous articles, comparisons, testing, etc - I think my backup plan will be this: price comes in at $400 more than the Bronco I'm planning on, and this has tons of capability, great reviews, a 308hp V6, and looks fantastic.
The Jeep is out for me because I can't get past the outdated looks of the exterior and interior, despite it's legacy.
The Toyota is out for me because all the reviews talk about how outdated the interior and engine are
The Bronco Sport could be a contender (with a small lift and 32's), but if I bail on the big Bronco, I'm in the same camp as @Carolina Jim - if I bail on the bronco, I'm done with Ford forever (I'm currently on my 8th Ford, and the Bronco will be the 9th one, if I buy one).. So, the Bison ZR2 is looking mighty nice - my ONLY wish is that it was available with a sunroof
Ford Bronco Nothing else is a BRONCO! Screen Shot 2020-12-23 at 2.38.03 PM

RG7

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
B8 A4, 2018 Triumph Street Triple R
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Agree not really many options but modern turbo 4 cylinders can put out a pretty absurd amount of power. The 2.3 will do just fine. 2.7 is probably overkill frankly, maybe that’s why I want it...

2.3 has more torque than any of the wrangler gas engines

Sponsored
OP
OP
Headsong

Headsong

Black Diamond
First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

And I keep thinking and saying that it could be my last also. So why hold back? On the other hand I can't wait until 2025 LOL

broncobase1

Base
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Bronco Base
Your Bronco Model
Base
Thanks to the FUBAR that B&P is and all the 'mis'information we get, I've done a thorough review of other options, and they all suck.

Baby Bronc aka Sport....well, it's leetle like my wife's RAV, tho' more capable, yes. No Race Red, no soft top....

Taco/4Runner (of which some have made softtops!), but I had a Taco and the powertrain is awful. Always hunting gears on the road. AND UNcomfortable.

Ranger...nope, not getting a 4 bang turbo'd or not. Heard way too many horror stories of the old ones so underpowered. Why not the 2.7? Alas....

Ridgeline, which finally does look like a truck....but it's still a Pilot sawed off....and no softtop....

Gladiator, no freakin' way would I drive that 1955 era front end on a road. Same for Wranglers.

Nissan, no.
GM, no.
Land Rover and it's offspring, no.

So I have this 08 Tundra that just keeps working. Maybe I should saw the top off.

Or, I have to wait for the Bronco. They've wrecked me!
Seriously you should reconsider that comment about 4 bangers. They aren't what they used to be and certainly not underpowered, the 2.3L is far more powerful than V8s not that long ago. I had one of those old 4 cyl Rangers, these trucks were bullet proof basic work trucks and for that they excelled. Of course they were not for those that rate vehicles only on 0 - 60 times.

OP
OP
Headsong

Headsong

Black Diamond
First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Seriously you should reconsider that comment about 4 bangers. They aren't what they used to be and certainly not underpowered, the 2.3L is far more powerful than V8s not that long ago. I had one of those old 4 cyl Rangers, these trucks were bullet proof basic work trucks and for that they excelled. Of course they were not for those that rate vehicles only on 0 - 60 times.
Yep, got to drive the 2.3 off rodeo near me, had no idea it was the 2.3! It was a 4 door, so I just assumed it was the 2.7. After getting out, I happened to ask my guide and he said, no, that's the 2.3!!! shocking I tell ya. Shocking.

Mr. Nice

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Jayson
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
12' Boss302, 08' Audi TT, 13' CRV, 14" Ridgeline
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Yep, got to drive the 2.3 off rodeo near me, had no idea it was the 2.3! It was a 4 door, so I just assumed it was the 2.7. After getting out, I happened to ask my guide and he said, no, that's the 2.3!!! shocking I tell ya. Shocking.
Most of the 2.3’s deficiencies may not show until later. Consumer Reports listed the 2.3 eco boost Mustang as a problem child due for a likely rebuild. Just imagine the same engine hauling another 800 to 1500 pounds around. Not good.

2015 Ford Mustang 4-cyl.
Typical mileage: 76,000-85,000

OP
OP
Headsong

Headsong

Black Diamond
First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Most of the 2.3’s deficiencies may not show until later. Consumer Reports listed the 2.3 eco boost Mustang as a problem child due for a likely rebuild. Just imagine the same engine hauling another 800 to 1500 pounds around. Not good.

2015 Ford Mustang 4-cyl.
Typical mileage: 76,000-85,000
Yeah, my pref for the 2.7 is about how the turbos work. I'm not a mechanic, but from I've read, I prefer the 2.7 set up better. If was going stick shift, I'd opt for the 2.3 in a heartbeat, tho'....would be an awesome combo and very economical on fuel.

Sponsored

Mr. Nice

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Jayson
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
12' Boss302, 08' Audi TT, 13' CRV, 14" Ridgeline