First Name
Red
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Suppose you ordered a Bronco back when the order banks opened. You were excited and couldn't wait for the day it would show up. Then, the delays and issues started happening and you soon realized it would be a long wait. You decide you can't wait indefinitely and decide to buy something else. You tell the dealer you changed your mind and dealer emails back.
"If at any point during the ordering/building process you decide you actually want your Bronco, contact me ASAP so I can attach your name back to it".
Fast forward more than a year later, you receive an email from Ford with a VIN and telling you your Bronco will be scheduled soon. The updates get more frequent and finally, a pic of it coming off the assembly line and the expected ETA at the dealer. After seeing the pic, you start wishing you could still buy it, especially with the difficulty of getting any vehicle built exactly the way you want.
You call Ford and tell them your story. Ford researches the situation and says dealer reconfigured the order from OBX to Badlands, but the order was never canceled and still in the original customers name. They said contact the dealer GSM and tell them you still want it. You call the dealer and they say sorry too late. When you said you didn't want it, we went to the next customer and reconfigured to what they want.
Would you walk away at this point realizing telling the dealer you didn't want it was a dumb thing to do just in case you changed your mind or would you call Ford again and tell them you did what they told you and dealer refuses to sell? This may get the dealer penalized at least for violating the 70% name match policy. You'd probably not want to go back to that dealer after causing them problems.
Even though it sucks you let go of your order. Can’t hold these guys accountable. Say u ordered some bs car with a whacky color and backed out. The dealer has to make money when they can. It’s a game sometimes they win sometimes loose. Unfortunately u shouldn’t have let go of your order. Not pro dealer mark ups but honestly it’s a business. Can’t keep dealers in limbo with a 50-60k vehicle.
Sponsored

PSUTE

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sierra
Your Bronco Model
Base
This hypothetical person chose to announce the intent to walk away and get their deposit back instead of letting it ride and seeing what happens. They then took what, they claim, the dealer told them over a year ago and, presumably, never contacted them again, and waited until it was finished in production for a different series and then are crying foul?

Even if it was reasonable to assume the offer was good until it was produced, and it is not. (By your own words, any time during the ordering/building process. Hint; when you get the picture at the end of the assembly line, that process has finished, offer ended even if it was open before that point)

Then they call Ford to complain BEFORE calling the dealer (which screams that this person fully and reasonably expected the dealer to not cave in).

Yeah, I am going to go ahead and assume this is a troll because nobody in the World can have that much entitlement.

Lesson learned, move on. This hypothetical person to whom you refer is 100% in the wrong here.
Told the dealer you wanted to cancel. Got your deposit back. Have no skin in the game at this point... Why is this even a question?

OP
OP
Bronc-O

Bronc-O

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Lincoln Aviator
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Told the dealer you wanted to cancel. Got your deposit back. Have no skin in the game at this point... Why is this even a question?
Getting the deposit back doesn't change a thing. You've been here a long time and surely have many that changed dealers and got their deposit back and then went to another dealer and were not required to place the deposit the 2nd time. My big mistake was telling the dealer I was out. However not canceling the order, even though that has become standard practice would put the dealer in violation of the 70% name match rule if I were to really raise a fuss. When I called Ford, they looked up the details and said the order is still in my name and I should get in touch with the GSM and tell him you want to buy it.

PSUTE

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sierra
Your Bronco Model
Base
Getting the deposit back doesn't change a thing. You've been here a long time and surely have many that changed dealers and got their deposit back and then went to another dealer and were not required to place the deposit the 2nd time. My big mistake was telling the dealer I was out. However not canceling the order, even though that has become standard practice would put the dealer in violation of the 70% name match rule if I were to really raise a fuss. When I called Ford, they looked up the details and said the order is still in my name and I should get in touch with the GSM and tell him you want to buy it.
Agree. Gotta side with the dealer on this one. You cancel the order, get your deposit back and then want to jump in later. Common up in here that dealers are not acting in good faith. Does not seem to be the case here. If the dealer has the space under the cap to sell the order out from under the OP, I have no problem with it. But then again it could be just another troll...

OP
OP
Bronc-O

Bronc-O

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Lincoln Aviator
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Agree. Gotta side with the dealer on this one. You cancel the order, get your deposit back and then want to jump in later. Common up in here that dealers are not acting in good faith. Does not seem to be the case here. If the dealer has the space under the cap to sell the order out from under the OP, I have no problem with it. But then again it could be just another troll...
You know I'm not trolling. Look at my stats. Dealer didn't cancel the order is the whole point even though that has become the practice as we are well aware. This is a big part of the reason Ford is cracking down on dealers with more rules to follow. They are also now requiring a !k deposit along with a customer drivers license, insurance card and a copy of the check or credit card before they will accept the order to help avoid dealers trying to get stock units.

Sponsored

PSUTE

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sierra
Your Bronco Model
Base
You know I'm not trolling. Look at my stats. Dealer didn't cancel the order is the whole point even though that has become the practice as we are well aware. This is a big part of the reason Ford is cracking down on dealers with more rules to follow. They are also now requiring a !k deposit along with a customer drivers license, insurance card and a copy of the check or credit card before they will accept the order to help avoid dealers trying to get stock units.
Nothing personal, replying to the person I was replying to. You are a respected poster up in here...

Garret Sterling

Black Diamond
First Name
Garret
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tahoe
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Suppose you ordered a Bronco back when the order banks opened. You were excited and couldn't wait for the day it would show up. Then, the delays and issues started happening and you soon realized it would be a long wait. You decide you can't wait indefinitely and decide to buy something else. You tell the dealer you changed your mind and dealer emails back.
"If at any point during the ordering/building process you decide you actually want your Bronco, contact me ASAP so I can attach your name back to it".
Fast forward more than a year later, you receive an email from Ford with a VIN and telling you your Bronco will be scheduled soon. The updates get more frequent and finally, a pic of it coming off the assembly line and the expected ETA at the dealer. After seeing the pic, you start wishing you could still buy it, especially with the difficulty of getting any vehicle built exactly the way you want.
You call Ford and tell them your story. Ford researches the situation and says dealer reconfigured the order from OBX to Badlands, but the order was never canceled and still in the original customers name. They said contact the dealer GSM and tell them you still want it. You call the dealer and they say sorry too late. When you said you didn't want it, we went to the next customer and reconfigured to what they want.
Would you walk away at this point realizing telling the dealer you didn't want it was a dumb thing to do just in case you changed your mind or would you call Ford again and tell them you did what they told you and dealer refuses to sell? This may get the dealer penalized at least for violating the 70% name match policy. You'd probably not want to go back to that dealer after causing them problems.
This sounds like a bad break up/divorce 😕
Hope you come out ontop, maybe there's something that can be done?

RedHotFuzz

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Black Diamond 4D
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Dealer did put it in writing that if I changed my mind, it was still mine.

”During the building process,” not “after it’s built.“ Also “contact me ASAP,” which you didn’t really do. Sorry, but as much as I don’t like to side with dealerships, this one is totally on you. :(

OP
OP
Bronc-O

Bronc-O

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Lincoln Aviator
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks

”During the building process,” not “after it’s built.“ Also “contact me ASAP,” which you didn’t really do. Sorry, but as much as I don’t like to side with dealerships, this one is totally on you. :(
Actually, I did contact my dealer when Ford told me it was in the final build stages. It should be out for delivery now. After I decided I may still be interested, I did contact them ASAP. They may have hoped that would have been a long time ago.

airishfan

Banned
Base
Banned
Banned
First Name
rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
jeep cherokee
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

You gave up your place and deposit imo. Transferring dealers means a new deposit.

Assume you lose this argument if they have proof of both you cancelling order and getting deposit back. Sucks.
transferring dealers does not mean new deposit.

Sponsored

airishfan

Banned
Base
Banned
Banned
First Name
rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
jeep cherokee
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Honestly for the first time out of all these "dealer did X" posts I am on the side of the dealer with this one.

I felt just like you did many, many, times since I put in my reservation. I was 43 when I put my reservation, I turn 45 today. I honestly thought I may not see one until I was 46. In fact I was near my breaking point a few months ago when all of a sudden my build date popped up.

But why cancel, and get your deposit back? What's the absolute worst you just let it ride and go on about your life? You're down $100? But eventually a build date pops and then that $100 doesn't seem like a loss anymore.

I think this one is on you boss. But I mean hey if you're happy with something you didn't order (OBX vs Badlands) fight it out, and you may get it. But if I was the dealer I'd tack at least a little ADM on it for you.
I have had 2 birthdays come and go sense I put my reservation in and looks like a 3rd well come and go .I thought for sure I would have gotten my Bronco before my 50th birthday now I am hopping I get before my 52 birthday.

sniffHound

First Name
W
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Clubs

Dude. You have 5000 posts here. You should know the drill IMHO.
Hope it works out for everyone.

Heffe66413

Outer Banks
First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Neither this person nor the dealer deserve any kudos for their actions. The buyer deserves nothing regardless of what he may or may not be legally entitled to. And frankly, I don’t believe the dealer changed the order for the next person in line - why because they could have cancelled this order and the next person in line would have been up. Let’s face it- the dealer wanted another Bronco to sell for whatever they could get out of it.
the only real so,union is for Ford to screw them both and make my Bronco!

CT203

Badlands
First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'13 JK
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I'm blaming myself and not the dealer. They've been very good to me over the years and that's why I may just walk away. The one thing that's annoying me on this is I think the salesman that told me no is lying. The new customer has some fame and probably more important to them than I am, so they are steering me away. I know that no dealer in their right mind is going to cancel a Bronco order. They simply do what my dealer has done and reconfigured for someone else. I suppose, most people that decide not to buy don't change their mind and test what the dealer told them they could do if they were to decide they still wanted to buy.
So talk to the sales manager Vs the original salesman. Plead your case and if they don’t budge, place another order. You made a mistake. Own it. At 70, you’d think some adult decisions and realizations about actions and consequences would be well ingrained. Unless you have health issues to where you know you’re dying in the next few years, you’ll be around to get another Bronco. Go get a jeep or defender or whatever other fun vehicle in the meantime and enjoy the crap out of it. Life’s too short to stress about or regret vehicle purchases.

STHenry

Wildtrak
First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ford Raptor
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
I would think if the dealership provided you something in writing that says if you change your mind contact us so we can link your name to the order again. Seems like they never removed your name from the order so it is technically your order. You should at least see what they can do to help you out. Maybe they sell you the Bronco or maybe make you a great deal on something else on the way that you like. Either way it does not hurt to ask the question. The worst they can do is say no.
Sponsored