Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Nissan Titan XD
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Disclaimers:
1. Yes I have searched this forum. There are several threads that mention OBDII readers, and this one is extremely interesting.
2. Yes I know they are all over Amazon.

So my question: Which readers would you recommend? For quality, value, ease of use (I'm an IT guy, but new to auto stuff), and versatility. I want to access onboard stuff to change, as in the above link. And calibrate speedo once I upgrade tires/wheels, read codes, etc...

And I know there are app options for phones. Any guidance there would be appreciated, too.
Sponsored

JesseS

Badlands
First Name
Jesse
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jayco AY26, Honda F6B, CR-V
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I have the port adapter and app from FourStroke for my iPhone, seems to work well for data read out and resetting error codes. It is not a programmer as those are much more expensive (I also have a SCT to tune my Ford V-10)

IDyeti

Black Diamond
First Name
SPAM
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Bronco BD
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Been using a Scangauge II for 14 years on my current rig. It does almost everything I need it to other than trans temp due to the way Nissan locks it out, I believe they have cleared this hurdle though with x-gauges now. It does adjust for larger tires which was my key need other than reading codes. I am in IT too and its totally plug and play. Doesn't have the prettiest of displays but the thing just works.

Razorback

Badlands
First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lincoln MKX
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Inquiring minds want to know. 👍 I've been researching and FIXD makes one that looks pretty cool.

jalexa27

Badlands
First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1965 impala
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Disclaimers:
1. Yes I have searched this forum. There are several threads that mention OBDII readers, and this one is extremely interesting.
2. Yes I know they are all over Amazon.

So my question: Which readers would you recommend? For quality, value, ease of use (I'm an IT guy, but new to auto stuff), and versatility. I want to access onboard stuff to change, as in the above link. And calibrate speedo once I upgrade tires/wheels, read codes, etc...

And I know there are app options for phones. Any guidance there would be appreciated, too.
Depends on what you want to do. I just downloaded Forscan and use the OBDLink EX cable. It gives you the ability to unlock since hidden features. May be a little more expensive than other options.

Sponsored

JesseS

Badlands
First Name
Jesse
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jayco AY26, Honda F6B, CR-V
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Depends on what you want to do. I just downloaded Forscan and use the OBDLink EX cable. It gives you the ability to unlock since hidden features. May be a little more expensive than other options.
I just did that myself after reading up on it, got the OBDLink EX on Amazon for $50, already have a Macbook Pro with dual-boot and Win 10. Will have to spend some time learning the layout but looks simple enough.

OP
OP
88to21bronco

88to21bronco

Big Bend
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Nissan Titan XD
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Thanks for the responses everybody. I'll try it out when (if) I ever get my Bronco.

2Jeeps&PatriotX1

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 4dr Badsquatch, ‘05 LJ & ‘17 F150
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Have had the OBDLink MX Bluetooth and its done everything I've needed the last 3 years.

Greasyfingers429

Black Diamond
First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
VW Jetta TDI, Range Rover Sport Td6
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Been using a Scangauge II for 14 years on my current rig. It does almost everything I need it to other than trans temp due to the way Nissan locks it out, I believe they have cleared this hurdle though with x-gauges now. It does adjust for larger tires which was my key need other than reading codes. I am in IT too and its totally plug and play. Doesn't have the prettiest of displays but the thing just works.
I just plugged in my ScanGauge II for the first time in my 2021 Bronco, after having used it since my 2006 F-350 and ‘13 Jetta TDI. The standard gauges mostly work by default. I have decided this device is mostly obsolete. Everything from mileage, temps, boost, etc are mostly available right in the dashboard gauges screen, if you turn it on.
What I can’t figure out are any of the customizable ScanGauge X-Gauges. So far, there is zero support on the ScanGauge website or web search results for the 2021 Bronco. I might look into one of the more modern devices listed here in this thread, hoping to get engine torque, torque converter slip, and especially EGT pre- and/or post-turbo.
The one feature ScanGauge should be able to report is adjusted speed if you run larger tires, but I bet there’s a more elegant solution to reprogram the actual speedometer for that too.

Last edited:

Jsullivan

Base
First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Explorer, 2016 F350 Diesel, 2013 Explorer
Your Bronco Model
Base