OBX vs BL, a few questions

Smalldog

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler jK
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
This forum has been an excellent place for me to learn so much from so many. Thanks.

I tried searching for my question but could not find it, FYI.

I want the Lux package for the safety options, 12-inch screen, sound damping, and either the MGV or Leather interior. I do not want the Sasquatch package because I will put on many more highway miles than rock crawling, and I am more about Overlanding than scraping the underside of my new rig. I will be doing some of the Trans American Trail etc.

• It seems that the suspension is different between the two. Would it make any difference on the Highway? I know it would for Baja stuff.
  • Are there any other differences that would hamper ride quality other than the suspension being different and the tire options?
  • I don't like the wheel options on the OBX and want 17 rims, perhaps on 33 KOAs. I guess this is possible, have read here it is, but not sure.
Part of me is leaning toward the BL because of the rubberize Interior, the orange accent trim vs blue, and if I ever need the swaybar disconnet, I would be glad to have bought it.

The other part is wondering if capret would be overall quieter than rubber (the Defender is very quiet and has rubber so fingers crossed), the very good looking black and tan leather seats, keeping the sun glasses holder (don't anticipate need Aux swrtiches), and just dealing with the rims aftermarket.

Any feedback welcome.
Sponsored

shoelessjoe

Badlands
First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Chevy Cruze
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

The BL pretty much has the same suspension as the Sasquatch. Stock tires on the BL are 33" AT which are not as aggressive as MT. I wanted the OBX at first until I looked at BL and that is what I am buying Lux with MGV no Sasquatch.

timhood

Badlands
First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Several
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I understand your dilemma, as my ideal vehicle is probably a hybrid Outer Banks/Badlands.

I don't know that anyone is going to be able to guess what ride quality differences will be. The Badlands has the position-sensitive dampers that suggest it could be a bit stiffer for more heavy-duty off-road use. But the position-sensitive part may mean that it reacts more mildly during on-road and less-demanding use. The lower profile of the OB tires usually means they are less compliant over bumps and potholes and such. But AT tires tend to be noisier and more harsh than passenger tires.

I've been trying to figure out if the Outer Banks model can accept 33" tires without any suspension mods. If so, I'd be inclined to get some 285/70/17 AT tires and wheels for the off-road trips and keep the stock wheels and tires for daily driving. A bit more money initially, but the tires would last a lot longer and I wouldn't waste AT tires for mostly street driving.

I started leaning toward Badlands when I saw a video where an experienced off-road guy mentioned disconnecting the sway bar makes driving over rutted and washboard roads smoother, which is something I could get benefit from. But I was thinking of the marine vinyl instead of leather, which left me wondering about whether the rubber interior would be quiet enough, and since I'm not planning on hosing it out, it's not providing a huge benefit otherwise.

My ideal build would probably be an Outer Banks with the Badlands wheels/tires, front swaybar disconnect, marine grade vinyl and carpet interior. Oh, and the unpainted fender flares, either tube running boards (not the flat ones) or just the rock rails.
Sponsored