mdelca1206

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Hey everyone,

We're new to the Bronco scene and learning about trims and modifications thanks to this site. I hoping for some help in deciding between an Outer Banks or Badlands to order when the banks open up again. My wife and I love scuba diving, skiing, hiking, etc out in here in California so the cloth seats in our Fusion have some stains (ocean water and dirty snow mostly) after 6 years. We'd also like the creature comforts of the higher tech packages. So we're looking for some advice. The MGV and wash out floors seem like a no-brainer for us, and we test drove a black diamond and loved the seats! However, we were considering installing heated/cooled seats anyway so an OBX with seat modifications could potentially work as well. With weathertech mats and aftermarket seats, I think it could be pretty close to the washout/MGV. I think we lose power seating with the MGV, which isn't a deal breaker, but we were hoping to get some advice on maximizing water resistance and luxury options.

We'll definitely go for a hard top 4-door and high package at a minimum; the lux is a nice to have. We don't plan to do any intense off roading but will take it out camping and to the desert occasionally.

Thank you for any help navigating trims and aftermarket options! There's a lot to learn.
Sponsored

Last edited:

GToddC5

Badlands
First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.bronco6g.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco, 1971 Toyota FJ40, 1998 Corvette 'vert
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

With all those activities, you can't go wrong with a BL but you may be lacking with the OB, even if you add Squatch to the OB. To maximize "... water resistance and luxury options", the BL with Lux is the one. Throw on that Tow package and you're all set! But you'll still have to decide on MIC top or soft top, and consider the roof rack options you may want to hold your equipment. My advice there will always be to get the MIC top, because buying it later from Ford is costing people between 10-15k. Better to get the MIC and then buy a Bestop Trektop if you want to add soft top later.

Have a fun ride, it only takes months to decide what you want in the end! 😅

‘21OBX

Outer Banks
First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 bronco outer banks
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Go BL you can’t get the rubber floor in an OBX. Also if you choose leather trimmed seats you loose the rubber floor. The BL comes with front and rear lockers as well standard so you don’t have to spring for the Sasquatch package either. Cargo space is the same between all trims. You can get heated seats from the factory but not cooled. Someone would probably buy your MGV seat covers when you upgrade your interior so you could offset some of the cost. I like my OBX with leather just wish ford would get over themselves and make the carpet delete/ wash out floor an option for every trim.

AZ_Liberty

Base
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 Expedition
Your Bronco Model
Base
If you ever need to drive on the beach, having the Badlands with the front and rear locker would be really handy/peace-of-mind.

TX_Bronco77

Banned
Black Diamond
Banned
Banned
First Name
Travis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT PP
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Written from a divers perspective: I used to carry my dive gear in the back of a lowered 2002 Mustang, I think whatever Bronco you choose will be fine. Just lay down a tarp to toss the gear on.

And with a Bronco you won't have to lug the gear from a safe parking spot near the dive site.

Sponsored

Yillbs

Outer Banks
First Name
Billy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
If you ever need to drive on the beach, having the Badlands with the front and rear locker would be really handy/peace-of-mind.
I feel like this is a little beaten to death. You don't need lockers to use a 4x4 in sand. Remember, most half ton trucks don't have lockers and they have been beaching for decades. You can't just blanket tell everyone to get lockers because of how great they are. Literally, nothing this guy wants to do sounds like he needs anything more than a Outerbanks with high.

AZ_Liberty

Base
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 Expedition
Your Bronco Model
Base
I feel like this is a little beaten to death. You don't need lockers to use a 4x4 in sand. Remember, most half ton trucks don't have lockers and they have been beaching for decades.
Bronco has an open rear though. Most of my half ton trucks have had a Posi rear end.

Yillbs

Outer Banks
First Name
Billy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Bronco has an open rear though. Most of my half-ton trucks have had a Posi rear end.
Chevy 1500, Ram 1500, and the Ford F150 all come standard with open difs. Unless you order it with a locking diff, or limited-slip, you get the same thing you get on a bronco with an open dif. Still stands, you do -not- need a rear or front locker to go on the beach, let's not be overly dramatic about it, okay? Based on that logic, we'll all just need to order the most rock crawling capable rig or else none of us can ever go off-road for any reason.

AZ_Liberty

Base
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 Expedition
Your Bronco Model
Base
Wife's F-150 has a locking rear, was actually really handy when I was crossing an arroyo.

My Previous two F-150s had factory limited slips.

My Expedition does not, which is how I got stuck in my own driveway.

MNBigfoot

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
Your Bronco Model
Base
At the bear minimum get the rear lock diff, it's only $800. I'd never own a 4wd with open diffs, but then I live in the North and my vehicles go off-road.
Sponsored