Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW z3, Nisan rogue, joint-custody of Jeep YJ
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

I am thinking going 4-dr OBX vs BL as I just don’t need the weight of the armor nor capability of BL. But those 18” OBX wheels make me cringe and I prefer the stance of the 33s. This will be my daily driver + overlander.

Ideas on what wheels + tires could work? (Don’t think I would need lift, but school me). Any chance dealer could simply order/install the optional BL 17” wheels+LT/285 A/T tire setup? (Later I’d like to find a dog-dish type steelie to go with the retro painted flares of OBX. Love everything about this one for reference.)

Ford Bronco OBX with 33s do we know how yet? 4CD133AF-3E6D-47B8-9543-C04DBCE5AFF2
Sponsored

Jr87mustang

Black Diamond
First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Expedition, 1987 5.0 GT Convert
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

jaruss01

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 XC90 T6 R-Design / 2020 S60 T6 AWD
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Same boat. Especially now given what looks to be GVWR issues. 33s should fit. I put together the thread above.

Although we still need to double check to confirm how much the upper control arm protrudes. We were about to get a better idea from @LEGEND but we slipped into Xmas. Legend any chance you could snap a photo (ranger below for example)... or if you’re uncomfortable doing that, getting a sense for where the upper control arm is relative to the back and top of the OBX tire? Here’s a sample ranger photo. Imagine a tire sitting a half inch higher and a half inch closer to the steering knuckle. Thanks again.

Ford Bronco OBX with 33s do we know how yet? 3DF3A49E-BC89-4FD2-8DCB-4B61183FF66D

jaruss01

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Awesome. Thanks!

jaruss01

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Thanks for confirming! Great news. I was confused at first and deleted/edited this response.

So the upper control arm really has no bearing here.

We were thinking the max distance to steering knuckle on an OBX was 1.1” to the backside of the tire. The upper control arms gradually protrudes ever so slightly. Maybe a quarter inch if I had to guess. its probably hard to see behind there, but that likely why 1.1” becomes your cited .75” at the tights where the upper control arm is located.
Ford Bronco OBX with 33s do we know how yet? 63898590-0F48-4F5C-B2C9-36AC974381A9

that’s implies

1. a 11.2” width tire on an OBX rim still has .25” clearance from steering knuckle/upper control arm. FYI stock OBX tire is 10.2” wide. this is similar to what you would find on a badlands (although that wheel is 8” wide not 7.5”, also with a 55 offset). So the clearance on the BL would be a little higher at .45”

2. since upper arm doesn’t really protrude, then skies the limit on a bigger diameter tire (sticking to 11.2 width). Obviously crash bars will need to be modified as you get closer to a 34” tire and up.

Last edited:

Sponsored

jaruss01

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
I think the width of the tire plays into it more. Stock OBX tire is narrow and only 10.2” wide

jaruss01

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
That makes sense. In any regard, it sounds like a 275/70/r18 mounted to the stock OBX rim should fit, no problem. Basically swapping out a 32.1x10.2" tire with 33.2x11.2". It sounds like picking up a half inch on the backside of the stock tire still gives us a remaining 0.25" of 'comfort' zone to the steering knuckle, and the taller tire really doesnt come into play in regards to the sterring knuckle.

jaruss01

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
OP - just keep in mind the total costs of these builds. I was inbetween BL / OBX w 33s / OBX sas. We've now learned that BL and OBX sas cant take on racks, and likely suffer on payload. Additionally, it looks like Ford is charging 795 for the automatic 4x4 on the OBX, which was previously included in the lower gearing option (also 795). So right off the bat you're in the hole 1,590

Three builds with 2.7L lux...where OBX has aux switch, front steel bumper, gearing+auto 4x4, and leather...BL has MGV (but no power seats)
OBX: $54,950
BL: $56,375
OBX Sas: $59,150

That leaves you $1,425 of "aftermarket" money before you breakeven on a BL, and $4,200 before you breakeven on an OBX sas. But focusing more on the BL breakeven, once you get 5 tires, that's it, you're spending Badlands money. Get tires AND wheels, and now youre in the hole. Swap flares, now even more in the hole....

This is also while foregoing lift, front locker, disco, heavy duty axles, and rear steel bumper, in exchange for front power seats. Do you need that stuff? Probably not. Do i need that stuff? Also, no. But you'll probably be losing out on maybe $3k of content that will be lost when it comes time for resale....The analogy is this: Ford offered us all that content for FREE, with the caveat that it would decrease your payload by 300 lbs, and we turned around and said ‘no thank you’. So it is frustrating.

Personally, I am taking youre exact same approach. I'm pretty pissed about it. But I am willing to live that that if we do find out payload is a major concern on the badlands, and i could still outfit an OBX with the things I want, while having a cargo box. If not enough payload for cargo box, and doing big family trips, then this family truckster becomes more of a toy

The biggest negative is that we find out in 2022 that Ford could magically raise GVWR and people get more comfortable with the Badlands. Now we are into an OBX for more money, lesser content, and lesser resale value, than a Badlands.

Personally, I am trying to lessen the blow and do tires on stock wheels. And depending what that looks like, a minor 1” lift upfront to level out some with either with front coils, or a spacer.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Ohnoohnoooo

Ohnoohnoooo

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW z3, Nisan rogue, joint-custody of Jeep YJ
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

OP - just keep in mind the total costs of these builds. I was inbetween BL / OBX w 33s / OBX sas. We've now learned that BL and OBX sas cant take on racks, and likely suffer on payload. Additionally, it looks like Ford is charging 795 for the automatic 4x4 on the OBX, which was previously included in the lower gearing option (also 795). So right off the bat you're in the hole 1,590

Three builds with 2.7L lux...where OBX has aux switch, front steel bumper, gearing+auto 4x4, and leather...BL has MGV (but no power seats)
OBX: $54,950
BL: $56,375
OBX Sas: $59,150

The biggest negative is that we find out in 2022 that Ford could magically raise GVWR and people get more comfortable with the Badlands. Now we are into an OBX for more money, lesser content, and lesser resale value, than a Badlands.

Personally, I am trying to lessen the blow and do tires on stock wheels. And depending what that looks like, a minor 1” lift upfront to level out some with either with front coils, or a spacer.
Payload is my big concern. Also prefer some of the interior and exterior design elements of OBX, but could live with BL aesthetics if I thought I could use it to safely and functionally haul my people + camping gear + dogs (including a great dane, so another person, weight-wise).

I hate to spend same or more for less, but function is my deciding factor here.
Sponsored

Last edited: