First Name
Devin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 Civic, 19.5 Silverado
Your Bronco Model
Base
I know it was discussed over a year ago, but It leaked out that the next generation Chevy Colorado will only have the 2.7L I4T as an option. No i4 n/a. no v6. No diesel. https://www.autoblog.com/2020/04/22/chevy-colorado-turbo-four-cylinder-rumor/

Jeep keeps facing roadblocks from the EPA on the 3.0 diesel in the wrangler/ gladiator. Ford had issues with the 2.0 ā€œeco blueā€ diesel with the epa and gave up on it for America.

So my question is, what are the odds the Bronco and or 7thG Ranger will have a Diesel? (Most likely the 3.0 Power Stroke from f150)

My personal thought is no. Diesel motors just arenā€™t what they once were. Epa restrictionists have choked the efficiency of them. Less power and torque, and worse mpg. And more maintenance.

The power stoke would have similar Torque to the 2.7 (400lbft) less HP (~200 vs 330). And odds are marginal better towing (5500lbs vs 5000* pure guess) Maybe 10-20% better MPG. But with Gas currently floating around $1/g and diesel still over $2/g. Then the added maintenance. Is it really worth it? Not really.

my opinion has been that Diesels are only good in 3/4 ton or larger trucks. Used for towing and payloads. Anything less is pointless. Maybe 20 years ago. Not any more.

thoughts?
Sponsored

Jalisurr

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'09 Corvette Z06, '97 Mitsubishi Pajero Evo
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
I certainly don't see it coming at launch. If the Bronco does very well otherwise I could see it down the road in a few years after release.

CJay

Badlands
First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'08 Ranger FX4 (MANUAL) & '74 VW Thing
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I would love a diesel... but it would have to be manual transmission. Unfortunately I just don't see that particular unicorn in my future.

securitysix

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Toyota Tundra
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Clubs

I very sincerely doubt that the Bronco will get a diesel at all. I doubt that it will see anything but EcoBoosts (probably the 2.3 and 2.7). That said, I wouldn't hate seeing the 3.0L diesel, the 3.3L naturally aspirated V6, and/or the 5.0L V8 from the F150 as options for the Bronco. I just don't think it will happen.

The power stoke would have similar Torque to the 2.7 (400lbft) less HP (~200 vs 330). And odds are marginal better towing (5500lbs vs 5000* pure guess) Maybe 10-20% better MPG. But with Gas currently floating around $1/g and diesel still over $2/g. Then the added maintenance. Is it really worth it? Not really.
According to the spec sheet for the 2020 F150, the 3.0L PowerStroke makes 440 lb.-ft. of torque and 250 HP. I don't think those are necessarily bad numbers for the Bronco to have available to it, but I agree with your assessment. Diesel isn't crazy cheap compared to gas anymore, and the maintenance costs are higher. I'm not sure most people will see the break even point on TCO for a diesel.

Sponsored

Superds

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
How about a plug in hybrid? What are those chances?

OP
OP
FirstOnRaceDay

FirstOnRaceDay

Base
First Name
Devin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 Civic, 19.5 Silverado
Your Bronco Model
Base
I thought I remember reading somewhere not too long ago that Ford wanted to have a BEV or PHEV for every single vehicle and itā€™s lineup.

Superds

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Thatā€™s too bad, plug in hybrid was something I might have been interested in.

OP
OP
FirstOnRaceDay

FirstOnRaceDay

Base
First Name
Devin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 Civic, 19.5 Silverado
Your Bronco Model
Base
Also since the wrangler is coming out with a plug-in hybrid. If that start selling well, Ford is deafly gonna want to take that head-on. Iā€™m still curious about it though. Is it going to be a hybrid drive train? Or is it going to be a rear wheel drive gas motor with a front wheel drive electric motor. Either way, instant low-end torque gimme gimme gimme

OP
OP
FirstOnRaceDay

FirstOnRaceDay

Base
First Name
Devin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 Civic, 19.5 Silverado
Your Bronco Model
Base
Wait and see how the plug-in hybrid RAV4 and plug-in hybrid wrangler do.

If those both sell very well, I bet Ford will respond quickly

Sponsored

eBronco

Black Diamond
First Name
Mr. C
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 Mariner, 2016 CMAX, 2017 F-150 Platinum FX4
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
You can only get the 3.0 powerstroke in the highest trim levels, unless you are a fleet customer. And if you a fleet customer, you are not going to pay the upcharge for the engine.

Put a 3.0 in an XL with an STX package and you would see a lot more sales. I would take this configuation in 2WD with a locking rear diff. 30MPG on the highway with the F-150 would be great.

OP
OP
FirstOnRaceDay

FirstOnRaceDay

Base
First Name
Devin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 Civic, 19.5 Silverado
Your Bronco Model
Base
You can only get the 3.0 powerstroke in the highest trim levels, unless you are a fleet customer. And if you a fleet customer, you are not going to pay the upcharge for the engine.

Put a 3.0 in an XL with an STX package and you would see a lot more sales. I would take this configuation in 2WD with a locking rear diff. 30MPG on the highway with the F-150 would be great.
But vs the 2.7 Ecoboost f150 its just not worth it.
2.7 has 20mpg combine and 3.0 is 22mpg. So is that 2 mpg worth the premium price and maintenance?
MAYBE if your towing over 10,000lbs (9000 in the EB vs 11200 in the PS)
But at that point get a 250.
Sponsored