First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 WRANGLER THAT GEICO SPENT $14K FIXING
Your Bronco Model
Base
The Ecoboost engines have a lot of qualities like a Diesel engine without the significant downsides. Way more expensive oil changes, DEF fluid, higher maintenance requirements etc make the smaller Diesel engines just not worth the hassle.
Sponsored

eBronco

Black Diamond
First Name
Mr. C
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 Mariner, 2016 CMAX, 2017 F-150 Platinum FX4
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
But vs the 2.7 Ecoboost f150 its just not worth it.
2.7 has 20mpg combine and 3.0 is 22mpg. So is that 2 mpg worth the premium price and maintenance?
MAYBE if your towing over 10,000lbs (9000 in the EB vs 11200 in the PS)
But at that point get a 250.
That isn't the point. I can't get a base XL with a diesel, even if I wanted to order it.

I would rather have the diesel over any ecoboost (just me). But, I have to go to an upper end model to get one.

Last edited:

eBronco

Black Diamond
First Name
Mr. C
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
The Ecoboost engines have a lot of qualities like a Diesel engine without the significant downsides. Way more expensive oil changes, DEF fluid, higher maintenance requirements etc make the smaller Diesel engines just not worth the hassle.
Again, not the point. Why can't I order an XL with a diesel?

Nickp

Base
First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Base
Again, not the point. Why can't I order an XL with a diesel?
Because Ford needing to adjust the assembly line process, custom build, add staff, etc for one single Diesel engine sale is not worth their time.

Supply, demand, and economy of scale are all important.

eBronco

Black Diamond
First Name
Mr. C
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Because Ford needing to adjust the assembly line process, custom build, add staff, etc for one single Diesel engine sale is not worth their time.

Supply, demand, and economy of scale are all important.
Right now there are less then 300 diesel f-150's for sale new (none are 2020s).

If I can custom order a truck, why can't i custom order an XL. Are you saying that it is harder to put a diesel in an XL vs Lariat?

I guarantee there would be more sales if the PS was available on lower trims. The point is that Ford does not want you to buy the PS. Just like GM did not want you to order a manual in their Colorado (because they only offered it in the lowest trim).

Sponsored

Nickp

Base
First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Base
Right now there are less then 300 diesel f-150's for sale new (none are 2020s).

If I can custom order a truck, why can't i custom order an XL. Are you saying that it is harder to put a diesel in an XL vs Lariat?

I guarantee there would be more sales if the PS was available on lower trims. The point is that Ford does not want you to buy the PS. Just like GM did not want you to order a manual in their Colorado (because they only offered it in the lowest trim).
Hit the nail on the head. You’re exactly right they don’t want to sell low volume niche vehicles because that would be a waste of time and money.

eBronco

Black Diamond
First Name
Mr. C
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Hit the nail on the head. You’re exactly right they don’t want to sell low volume niche vehicles because that would be a waste of time and money.
Right, so why not just kill the PS in the F-150 all together. Get on with it already.

Ford should quit acting like they "offer" it as an engine choice.

MaverickMan

Black Diamond
First Name
Shane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
96 bronco sport 91 comanche eliminator 93 v8 zj
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
The diesel is a turbo motor, an extra expensive one. Which does work great when towing. I dont really see how not selling it at lower trims is new. I am constantly looking at old vehicles for sale all over the country and every time I see a 80s or 90s f250 custom (base)trim diesel its always listed as "rare".

Really ford has a small diesel because everybody thinks they have to so basically its peer pressure on a very expensive scale. When they figure out if the gamble worked they will either keep it or drop it at the next redesign.

OP
OP
FirstOnRaceDay

FirstOnRaceDay

Base
First Name
Devin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 Civic, 19.5 Silverado
Your Bronco Model
Base
Currently looking through jeep wrangler diesels in the United States. Only 244 available. All are four-door. However they are available in most trims. Lots of sports lots of Sierras lots of Rubicon‘s. Starting in the low 40,000 range though. Only 15 near me within 200 Miles.

MT/SFA

Badlands
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 F250 4X4
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Sort of like the Simpsons episode where Homer designs the car.

Sponsored

eBronco

Black Diamond
First Name
Mr. C
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Is this a fleet vehicle?

https://www.cars.com/vehicledetail/detail/800687858/overview/

I would be tempted if it wasn't clear across the county. If this was within 500 miles of me at that price, I would buy it tomorrow.

Or maybe not. If Ford is abandoning the 3.0 PS, it would be a bad product to purchase.

Stampede.Offroad

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
junk
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Actually I think the engine Ford would choose to offer would be the 2.0 they just brought over from the Ranger "Raptor" and put in stuff like the Everest and US Transit.

Odds are still quite low I'd guess, but better for the Ranger as it has more commercial user potential like the Transit.

HoosierDaddy

Badlands
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
68&69 Broncos, 21 AMB Base 2dr, 23 VB BL 4dr
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Emissions standards around the world are going to make the passenger vehicle/ light truck diesels extinct, plain and simple. Except for maybe the countries that do not enforce any emission standards.

Current emissions are forcing new diesel vehicles to carry emission systems similar to a refinery, but in a mobile platform.
Modern diesels are finicky and expensive to maintain and are now expensive to fuel for only modest gains in mileage. (let's not forget expensive to warranty....may be why they only put them in higher trim models)
This makes gas motors the "new diesel", they now last 300,000 miles with minimal maintenance and are getting more efficient and powerful every year.

jamanrr

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 Ford F150 Powerstroke,
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Huh, the data on the 3.0 is wrong, I had it in a F150 and returned 23-24 mpg, I would imagine in a light off road vehicle like this it would return 28-32 mpg.
Sponsored