Reaction score
Website
www.markpalmer-design.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco First Edition
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Hi all,
I just spent the past week down in Joshua Tree breaking in my FR in the desert -it was a great time. The trip revealed a bunch of issues. One of which is particularly maddening.

I picked up the rubber arego area mat before we left, which is generally pretty nice (however why the hell does the customer need to manually cut out the openings for the cargo hooks!?). About 2 days into our trip and after loading sandy gear in and out of the cargo area, I noticed a trail of scratches and serious little wear marks on the inside of the tailgate - many right down and into the bare metal. What happening is that small rocks and sand are sticking to the little flange on the leading edge of the cargo mat. If the cargo mat isnā€™t slid all the way forward (and thereā€™s nothing to retain it fully forward), and debris thatā€™s stuck to this flange gets closed against the inside of the tailgate and abrades the finish. Also, anything else in the cargo area that makes contact with the inside of the tailgate also scratches up the paint.

This design is bullshit. They didnā€™t think this design through, and probably didnā€™t include this mat in their product testing cycles as itā€™s likely the accessories were designed after the rest of the vehicle was baked and by different staff. They could have resolved this by retaining the matbetter so it canā€™t make contact, or modifying the inside of the tailgate so that this contact area isnā€™t just painted metal but plastic or rubberized. I wish their design team spent more time working out details like this than writing BS ā€˜accessory readyā€™ all over the truck - actually make the thing accessory ready and think it through!

Anyhow, this is disappointing and Iā€™m going to raise the issue with my dealer - maybe I can get a new tailgate and refund on the mat out of it. Iā€™ll keep you posted, and beware!

Ford Bronco OEM cargo mat scratching inside of tailgate 634B2A99-8517-4634-BC6E-C31DDE61AA4D
Ford Bronco OEM cargo mat scratching inside of tailgate C63F8D69-FC64-4FE2-A1C5-4DDA8B6CE9FC
Ford Bronco OEM cargo mat scratching inside of tailgate F0CB1519-8A12-4280-AC6A-9970EEAC7AB3
Ford Bronco OEM cargo mat scratching inside of tailgate B5C9EFEE-1535-4AC1-BDF8-E7C515761647
Sponsored

Last edited:

dan79

Big Bend
First Name
dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
08 f250
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

what brand mat did you buy?

Bronco cat

Banned
Outer Banks
Banned
Banned
First Name
Carl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ā€˜20 Explorer ST, ā€˜19 GT350, ā€˜21 Bronco Sport
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

I would ppf at least the bottom if not all the tailgate.

niterider006

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

So you're saying you didn't have the mat pushed all the way in, and had rocks and sand in your trunk and you're surprised that you have some scratches on a painted tailgate as a result?

Sponsored

StrictlyBroncos

Badlands
First Name
Reece
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco (Badlands)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

So you're saying you didn't have the mat pushed all the way in, and had rocks and sand in your trunk and you're surprised that you have some scratches on a painted tailgate as a result?
My thoughts exactly.

Tricky Dick

Badlands
First Name
Dick
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.TD-Distributing.com
Vehicle(s)
21 Bronco, 88 Bronco II, 03 Ford F250
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

This kind of stuff is why I suggested LineX in the unpainted tailgate thread. Wait til you have other cargo rolling around back there, that paint is going to be hammered in a couple years.

Shotsy

Badlands
First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Ford Bronco, '18 BMW m240i, '04 Honda Element
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Last edited:

niterider006

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

This kind of stuff is why I suggested LineX in the unpainted tailgate thread. Wait til you have other cargo rolling around back there, that paint is going to be hammered in a couple years.
I mean if someone is that concerned about it, they can always just get some spray on bedliner and coat the tailgate with it.

Sponsored

pan-y-cerveza

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tacoma Pro
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Unless there's an attachment point they will slide. The same thing happens in my 4Runner except there's no paint to rub and very little dirt inside of course. The painted tailgate is bound to get damaged in many ways. Same as my plastic tailgate is scratched up.

I'd just PPF that, like mentioned, or find a way to manually attach the mat. Or not worry about it.

604Bronco

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.bronco6g.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

My quick win is to strap a pillow to the inside of the tailgate. That'll help cushion hopes and dreams rolling around back there.

Anyways, I agree - I feel like the cargo mat wasn't pushed all the way in. I initially didn't do this on my Jeep when I got my cargo mat, but realized it right away when it looked like it wasn't fitting properly.