Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.markpalmer-design.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco First Edition
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Good example of the entitled mentality that many of us comment about with the younger generation. "Oh my, the world and my experience aren't perfect! Somebody has to compensate me."

Sorry to the OP for bagging on you, but you kind of deserve it. Also, thanks for being the first to report this, as we keep learning things that can be addressed to make our Broncos better. There are easy fixes for this. And, who cares about a few nicks and scratches from actually using the truck, in an area that folks won't even see. Sure, it bugs you, but it's not anyone else's fault. Let us know when you find the perfectly designed in every way vehicle.
Thanks for making it personal, thatā€™s helpful. You have a nice day.
Sponsored

ROKBRNC

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 LJ on tons, 1970 Bronco, 2019 Tacoma TRD
Your Bronco Model
Badlands

BrentC

Badlands
First Name
Brent
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 F150 Sport, 2021 Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
perfect opportunity for someone to make and sell a strip of film to protect this area some xpel or other car wrap material would be perfect
Buy a small roll of film and cut your own. That area is not high-vis so you donā€™t need laser precision.

BrentC

Badlands
First Name
Brent
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 F150 Sport, 2021 Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Wellā€¦ā€destroying the inside of the tailgateā€ is a bit over the top, donā€™t you think? Statements like that and the abuse you hurled at Ford will invoke personal responses since your OP is also quite personal. Just sayinā€™.

Tonka Bronka

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F350, V60 Polestar, 900SS, K1300S, RnineT Racer
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
On my FE the cargo area floor is carpeted. Iā€™d say thatā€™s also an inherent flaw on a vehicle like this.
I did not realize that. I agree, carpet never the best choice for a cargo area in any vehicle.

Sponsored

Tricky Dick

Badlands
First Name
Dick
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.TD-Distributing.com
Vehicle(s)
21 Bronco, 88 Bronco II, 03 Ford F250
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Very helpful, thank you.
We have a formula here that must be followed.

1. Owner posts a concern.
2. Owner gets bagged on for complaining.
3. The jokesters jump in and provide no technical help but it's our coping mechanism.
4. Profit???
5. The issue becomes common and we redirect our anger at Ford.

Ares

First Name
Fox
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
I bought the mat, it has a cool Bronco logo, raised lips for water/mus, fits and looks great IMO. I made the cutouts for the tie downs last week, easy to do with a utility knife, and its outlines on the bottom where to cut. It doesn't look as great now that it has the holes, but it add function back with the tie downs, so its worth it.
I have not had my mat slide on me at all, dragging heavy totes in and out of it, but I am careful doing it. I think it fits good. 100% would buy again.
I do think adding PPF to the bottom of the tailgate as an extra layer to protect the paint is a good idea. I will do that when I add the tailgate table.
I dont have a bronco yet... but I do have this mat.

Love the tray mats. and the bronco on it was a nice touch or I might have gone with weathertech.

Glad to hear it will fit well.

NotApplicable

First Edition
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BEVs
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
So you're saying you didn't have the mat pushed all the way in, and had rocks and sand in your trunk and you're surprised that you have some scratches on a painted tailgate as a result?
In his defense, I have the OEM cargo mat. It does NOT stay in itā€™s fully seated position, ever. Doesnā€™t matter if there is cargo or not. I push it back forward every time I open the tailgate. Annoying.

There is no Velcro or anything other than the perimeter shape of the mat that is used to keep it in place.

I didnā€™t realize it would be causing damage though. Dumb.

ramblinwreck

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
`22 Wildtrak, '21 Wrangler Rubicon 4xe
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
LOL at you wanting a new tailgate for some paint scratches that you put in it.....Sorry, that just...rich.

Anyhow, I have had 3 Jeeps, all of them had painted tailgates that scratch if you are not careful with stuff in the trunk. I have NEVER heard anyone claim it was a design flaw or defect or request a new tailgate for it.

Also, on the carpet in the rear. Again, this is NOT a design flaw. Ford gave you two trims with optional rubber lined cargo area, and you chose one with carpet instead. This is your choice, not a design flaw. Some people don't want or have no need for a rubber lined interior. Thats why Ford gave you the option. The carpet liner will look more premium, provide better noise insulation and better sound insulation. Be glad that Ford gave you a choice that allowed you to get the interior that suits you because Jeep doesn't. You only get the carpet option with Jeep.

Roll Sound

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wildtrack 2DR MIC OW, 2014 KTM RC8R
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
I plan on making a pad for my tailgate. Either rubber, or I'll cut and sew a furnny pad. I already use furnny pads in the back.

Sponsored

goatman2

Badlands
First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Website
gandgautorepair.com
Vehicle(s)
F450, Jeep XJ, Porsche 911, 2dr Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands

OK, sorry for piling on. Like I said, and I meant, thank you for bringing this to our attention. My bagging on you was relating to the getting a new tailgate comment and design expectation comments. Thanks for the report and the info. The whining part of the report is going to get some responses...right or wrong. Cheers. šŸ»

(BTW, I always respond on forums like we were sitting around the campfire in the mountains or desert. I won't write anything that I wouldn't say to your face in that context. The sarcasm and smiles don't always come through well.)

Roll Sound

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wildtrack 2DR MIC OW, 2014 KTM RC8R
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
My point is that

I guess my greater rant here is that these areas on vehicles (not just the Bronco) arenā€™t thoroughly designed for their intended use and made to handle the wear and tear well. In the Broncos case Iā€™d say thereā€™s a bit more oversight here than is typical. Sure, I can and will add more protection, but why should the customer have to bandaid up their cargo area on a vehicle designed for rugged applications and hauling gear? This area should be designed to weather gracefully and not be something we need to be concerned with.

Iā€™m an industrial designer, and good designers consider and holistically resolve issues like this before they land in an end users lap. Thatā€™s just good design and user experience. Good designers and companies who really understand good user centered design donā€™t spent their time sprinkling Bronco ā€˜Easter eggsā€™ BS all over their products, or debossing the word ā€˜liftā€™ into the doors of a vehicle that should be intuitively designed to afford ease of lifting in the right place. They just make the lift point more intuitive and usable.

End of rant. Watch out for your gate paint.
A pick up truck bed is almost always still just painted metal from the factory. It gets beat up and scratched. And dented. Its ok, its a truck. You don't want that, mall it or bedline, or spray it. Nature of the business.

Mickey21

Wildtrak
First Name
Mickey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco Wildtrak (Race Red)
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Just as others have said, you need to have a concept that the back area of the Bronco is not the back of a mall crawling SUV, it is the bed of a pickup. It came mostly with protections, but the tailgate is not. Take that as a person who mall crawls doesnt have to worry. But like a pickup that does REAL work, it may need a liner for protection and if I was doing what you are doing by now, I would have sanded and removed the sheen on that area and added a protective real coating on it.

What your original complaint sounds like is that you didnt know (fair enough you told others the warning) and now want Ford to compensate with a new tailgate. Sorry, dont agree with you there. You knew the conditions you put the vehicle in, dirt, sand, rocks, and cargo, and now wonder that it possibly scratched. Well then fix what you did. But this isnt some design overlook, not everyone is going to do what you do and that Ford intends a product to be outdoor based and have that image doesnt mean they protect it from any possible damage in every means possible. Even rock rails are an option, ppf from the factory is an option, the tailgate tray is an option and can mitigate some damage to the painted surface, etc.

Personally if I were you and likely to continue your behaviors I would sand and paint the area with protective liners and SOLVE the issue, not complain that Ford should have and pay you back for theirs and frankly your oversight.

Murraydog11

Outer Banks
First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 2Dr Outer Banks, Jeep Cherokee
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

I'm glad I didn't buy that.