Cat
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
MB500SL, HD Road King Custom
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Your issue was elevated to Ford Execs and added to the OCD.
Sponsored

Bt_ostate

First Edition
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Tremor 2021 Bronco 4-Door FE
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Hi all,
I just spent the past week down in Joshua Tree breaking in my FR in the desert -it was a great time. The trip revealed a bunch of issues. One of which is particularly maddening.

I picked up the rubber arego area mat before we left, which is generally pretty nice (however why the hell does the customer need to manually cut out the openings for the cargo hooks!?). About 2 days into our trip and after loading sandy gear in and out of the cargo area, I noticed a trail of scratches and serious little wear marks on the inside of the tailgate - many right down and into the bare metal. What happening is that small rocks and sand are sticking to the little flange on the leading edge of the cargo mat. If the cargo mat isnā€™t slid all the way forward (and thereā€™s nothing to retain it fully forward), and debris thatā€™s stuck to this flange gets closed against the inside of the tailgate and abrades the finish. Also, anything else in the cargo area that makes contact with the inside of the tailgate also scratches up the paint.

This design is bullshit. They didnā€™t think this design through, and probably didnā€™t include this mat in their product testing cycles as itā€™s likely the accessories were designed after the rest of the vehicle was baked and by different staff. They could have resolved this by retaining the matbetter so it canā€™t make contact, or modifying the inside of the tailgate so that this contact area isnā€™t just painted metal but plastic or rubberized. I wish their design team spent more time working out details like this than writing BS ā€˜accessory readyā€™ all over the truck - actually make the thing accessory ready and think it through!

Anyhow, this is disappointing and Iā€™m going to raise the issue with my dealer - maybe I can get a new tailgate and refund on the mat out of it. Iā€™ll keep you posted, and beware!

634B2A99-8517-4634-BC6E-C31DDE61AA4D.jpeg
C63F8D69-FC64-4FE2-A1C5-4DDA8B6CE9FC.jpeg
F0CB1519-8A12-4280-AC6A-9970EEAC7AB3.jpeg
B5C9EFEE-1535-4AC1-BDF8-E7C515761647.jpeg
Felt pads with adhesive back would solve this. Poor design for sure, but easy fix.

MarkusBigBucks

Badlands
First Name
Markus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2000 Ford Superduty 7.3 PSD, 2017 Ford Escape.
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
In his defense, I have the OEM cargo mat. It does NOT stay in itā€™s fully seated position, ever. Doesnā€™t matter if there is cargo or not. I push it back forward every time I open the tailgate. Annoying.

There is no Velcro or anything other than the perimeter shape of the mat that is used to keep it in place.

I didnā€™t realize it would be causing damage though. Dumb.
Can I ask, as I have one on order, I am going to assume you guys are cutting around the cargo tie downs in a triangle fashion. Can a guy instead of cutting the triangle shape, how about drilling 4 holes and removing the tie downs then put the mat in then bolt the tie downs down, This would prevent the mat from sliding back? . PPF the bottom of the gate.

ELKS1

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 F150 1977 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
Me too, I happen to have some Xpel clear left from doing my door sills and my door edges.
I will be doing the door jambs too. When I get mine. Do you have any pics on where you started and finished the expel in the jambs?

Sponsored

MarkusBigBucks

Badlands
First Name
Markus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I will be doing the door jambs too. When I get mine. Do you have any pics on where you started and finished the expel in the jambs?
Yes, here is a picture. Let me explain though , I have no experience in PPF untill I did this. I used Xpel Clear PPF first, then made the carbon graphite over lay out of Vivid carbon graphite vinyl from Amazon . I also did my door edges and I am doing my door handle cups as soon as I figure out how to cut the clear. My problem I am having is I ceramic coated my FE so nothing will stick to it when I am trying to make patterns, like blue painters tape. It turned out good and you really cant see the clear and I only did the door sills where your feet might drag over the paint. My Explorer I had before the Bronco door sills were all scratched up from my wifeā€™s feet dragging over them, she is kinda short so getting in and out is challenging. She actually is having a real hard time getting in the FE. I might have to get the automatic rock sliders but I am hesitate because I like stock. I have some glow in the dark blue vinyl coming today been thinking about inlaying that into the carbon graphite Bronco cutout, but not sure that might make it to gawdy, but I can always remove it.
Ford Bronco OEM cargo mat scratching inside of tailgate 03E3FAB2-8403-4554-9117-9A366D437049

ICUGAZN

Badlands
First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Raptor
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Hi all,
I just spent the past week down in Joshua Tree breaking in my FR in the desert -it was a great time. The trip revealed a bunch of issues. One of which is particularly maddening.

I picked up the rubber arego area mat before we left, which is generally pretty nice (however why the hell does the customer need to manually cut out the openings for the cargo hooks!?). About 2 days into our trip and after loading sandy gear in and out of the cargo area, I noticed a trail of scratches and serious little wear marks on the inside of the tailgate - many right down and into the bare metal. What happening is that small rocks and sand are sticking to the little flange on the leading edge of the cargo mat. If the cargo mat isnā€™t slid all the way forward (and thereā€™s nothing to retain it fully forward), and debris thatā€™s stuck to this flange gets closed against the inside of the tailgate and abrades the finish. Also, anything else in the cargo area that makes contact with the inside of the tailgate also scratches up the paint.

This design is bullshit. They didnā€™t think this design through, and probably didnā€™t include this mat in their product testing cycles as itā€™s likely the accessories were designed after the rest of the vehicle was baked and by different staff. They could have resolved this by retaining the matbetter so it canā€™t make contact, or modifying the inside of the tailgate so that this contact area isnā€™t just painted metal but plastic or rubberized. I wish their design team spent more time working out details like this than writing BS ā€˜accessory readyā€™ all over the truck - actually make the thing accessory ready and think it through!

Anyhow, this is disappointing and Iā€™m going to raise the issue with my dealer - maybe I can get a new tailgate and refund on the mat out of it. Iā€™ll keep you posted, and beware!

Ford Bronco OEM cargo mat scratching inside of tailgate 03E3FAB2-8403-4554-9117-9A366D437049
Is that the thick ruber mat with the Bronco on it? And did you cut out the area for the tiedowns?

OP
OP

Palmermc

First Edition
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.markpalmer-design.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco First Edition
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Is that the thick ruber mat with the Bronco on it? And did you cut out the area for the tiedowns?
Yes, itā€™s the OEM cargo mat with the big bronco logo. I did cut out the tie down areas (No sure why Ford didnā€™t just mold in these openings and make a little dam around the perimeter so that water/debris has a harder time passing through them.) When you cut them out Iā€™d suggest cutting about 5mm inboard of the trim markings because I found that they werenā€™t registered perfectly with the position of the hooks in the cargo area. If you cut them undersized you can open them up a little more where/as needed.

VelocityBronco

Badlands
First Name
E
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Badlands, F-150 FX4, Explorer Platinum
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Can I ask, as I have one on order, I am going to assume you guys are cutting around the cargo tie downs in a triangle fashion. Can a guy instead of cutting the triangle shape, how about drilling 4 holes and removing the tie downs then put the mat in then bolt the tie downs down, This would prevent the mat from sliding back? . PPF the bottom of the gate.
Don't think that would work out to well. The tie downs are recessed into the floor, so if you tried to bolt through the rubber mat, it will suck it down into that pocket and cause it to flex/buldge and I don't think it would look good. But you could try this method first, and if looks like it's not going to work, just cut out the openings.
Like someone else said, I'd cut the hole smaller than the lines they provide you, and trim and open up as necessary.

ICUGAZN

Badlands
First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Raptor
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Yes, itā€™s the OEM cargo mat with the big bronco logo. I did cut out the tie down areas (No sure why Ford didnā€™t just mold in these openings and make a little dam around the perimeter so that water/debris has a harder time passing through them.) When you cut them out Iā€™d suggest cutting about 5mm inboard of the trim markings because I found that they werenā€™t registered perfectly with the position of the hooks in the cargo area. If you cut them undersized you can open them up a little more where/as needed.
Yeah I was hoping they would have done a tiedown cutout similar to what Huskey did with the weatherbeater cargo mat. It has a raised lip to keep spilled liquids from getting to the carpet through the slot. The reason i'm not doing the husky is that they seem to be made of a slippery plastic material and cargo would slide around.

Sponsored

KANE COUNTY ILLINOIS

Big Bend
First Name
SAL
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GMC YUKON
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
I would ppf at least the bottom if not all the tailgate.
Hey, I never thought of applying PPF to the tailgate! I just applied PPF to the door sills, since it's awkward getting out with the OEM running board, which are not wide enough to plant your heel to step out with hitting the door sill! Thanks for the idea for the tailgate! I too have the Ford cargo mat, so I better protect it!

OP
OP

Palmermc

First Edition
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.markpalmer-design.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco First Edition
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Yeah I was hoping they would have done a tiedown cutout similar to what Huskey did with the weatherbeater cargo mat. It has a raised lip to keep spilled liquids from getting to the carpet through the slot. The reason i'm not doing the husky is that they seem to be made of a slippery plastic material and cargo would slide around.
One more thing to note is that the OEM mat has that huge Bronco logo, which looks good but protrudes quite a bit. Iā€™ve found that larger flat items I put in the back (Frontrunner Wolfpack containers) interfere with it and wobble around, get hung up when sliding in/out, etc. Again, they needed to think through this mat a little moreā€¦

MarkusBigBucks

Badlands
First Name
Markus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Ok , yea I havenā€™t seen the mat yet so I wasnā€™t sure of the design , since I have a FE Iā€™ll just put industrial Velcro on the bottom it can grab my carpet

Wanted33

Outer Banks
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT, 2019 Wrangler, 2020 Ranger
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

I have the official OEM trunk mat, supposedly designed by Ford.

The issue is that thereā€™s no means to hold it securely in place and if it slides towards the gate even a few MM (which happens very easily) it will abrade the tailgate.
I'd be kinda pissed myself Mark. As you say the mat should be designed better even if it means shortening it a few mm's to help with the slipping. I don't think you're gonna get a new tailgate from the Ford, or the dealer though. They've got a lot of wiggle room when it comes to stuff like that. Like others have said maybe get that lower portion, or the entire inside of the tailgate sprayed lined. That will fix the scratches now, and stop anymore from showing up.

BTW, thanks for the tip on the embossed "Bronco" on the mat. I was going to order one, because it does look cool. But, I think I'll wait for an aftermarket one from maybe WeatherTech, and Husky, etc.

lasttj

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'06 Jeep TJ, '16 Ford F150, '65 VW Beetle
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Add this to the long list of flaws that comes with buying a first model year vehicle.
Sponsored