Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2009 Pontiac G8 GT
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Updated with template from @flip

OK, here's the secret template. The way he's doing these is simple and accounts for mounting variation between vehicles.
The template is pushed over the end of the board, mud flap installed on vehicle then the template is taped to the flap, flap removed and can then be cut. It's slightly undersize to the finished hole but has worked well for the two we've done.

cuttemplate-jpg.jpg

cuttemplate2-jpg.jpg

cuttemplate3-jpg.jpg

Original post:

This may have already been covered elsewhere, but I cut holes in the OEM splash guards, and that allowed them to be installed, even with rock rails in place. I’ll probably order a second set and do it again, this time with a little more finesse on the cutting.

Ford Bronco OEM Ford Splash Guard modification for use with rock rails [updated with template] 9E4331BB-5F7A-4565-8DD5-D6A38B80CC6B

Ford Bronco OEM Ford Splash Guard modification for use with rock rails [updated with template] 13145D8B-8326-4DE1-9809-536CB1EB1BF2
Sponsored

Last edited by a moderator:

UberGadgetFreak

First Edition
First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 FE Bronco 22 FE Mav, 23 Mav Tremor, 03 Marauder
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
This may have already been covered elsewhere, but I cut holes in the OEM splash guards, and that allowed them to be installed, even with rock rails in place. I’ll probably order a second set and do it again, this time with a little more finesse on the cutting.

Ford Bronco OEM Ford Splash Guard modification for use with rock rails [updated with template] 13145D8B-8326-4DE1-9809-536CB1EB1BF2

If you could make a printable template on where to cut, that would be awesome.

OP
OP
WClintM

WClintM

Badlands
First Name
Clint
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2009 Pontiac G8 GT
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

If you could make a printable template on where to cut, that would be awesome.
That would have helped a lot. If I do it again, I will. I also need to do some YouTube searching for the cleanest way to cut through thick plastic. I found it difficult to do without it looking like shit.

Desert_6G

Badlands
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I like how they stick out just further than the fender flares? It that how they normally look if you weren't running the rock rails?

OP
OP
WClintM

WClintM

Badlands
First Name
Clint
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2009 Pontiac G8 GT
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I like how they stick out just further than the fender flares? It that how they normally look if you weren't running the rock rails?
As far as I know, yes. Really easy to install. The instructions actually called for holes to be drilled in the fender flares, but I skipped that step.

Sponsored
OP
OP
WClintM

WClintM

Badlands
First Name
Clint
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2009 Pontiac G8 GT
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Rear too? I’d like to see them is so.
I only did fronts so far. I needed to do something before the door paint got too beat up.

BrentC

Badlands
First Name
Brent
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 F150 Sport, 2021 Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Rear too? I’d like to see them is so.
The rears don’t need cutting.

I plan on doing the same when my Bronco shows up. As for cutting, I was thinking of using a small router bit with my Dremel at low speed to avoid melting the plastic. I’ve cut parts of my race fairing on my motorbikes this way. You can always buff the edges with a Dremel after the cuts as well.

How did you cut yours?

Also, up here we need to put all the reinforcement on the mud flaps as we can. They can carry around 20lbs of ice if the slush refreezes on the fender and flap. I’ve broken a flap off my F150 trying to kick off the ice block (stupid move, I know). It was the plastic fasteners that broke so it was an easy fix, but if there were more fastening locations the stress on each pin would be lessened. I’ll be drilling!

OP
OP
WClintM

WClintM

Badlands
First Name
Clint
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2009 Pontiac G8 GT
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I plan on doing the same when my Bronco shows up. As for cutting, I was thinking of using a small router bit with my Dremel at low speed to avoid melting the plastic. I’ve cut parts of my race fairing on my motorbikes this way. You can always buff the edges with a Dremel after the cuts as well.

How did you cut yours?

Also, up here we need to put all the reinforcement on the mud flaps as we can. They can carry around 20lbs of ice if the slush refreezes on the fender and flap. I’ve broken a flap off my F150 trying to kick off the ice block (stupid move, I know). It was the plastic fasteners that broke so it was an easy fix, but if there were more fastening locations the stress on each pin would be lessened. I’ll be drilling!
Dremel, but I didn't have a router bit.

5280Bronco

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
02 Mustang GT, 05 Volvo V70R, 17 Mazda 6
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

How did you cut yours?

I was under the impression that the rear ones don't work with the steel rear bumper. Is that correct?

I was thinking about buying them and trying to modify them to try to get them to work with the steel bumper.

Sponsored

Tricky Dick

Badlands
First Name
Dick
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.TD-Distributing.com
Vehicle(s)
21 Bronco, 88 Bronco II, 03 Ford F250
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

That would have helped a lot. If I do it again, I will. I also need to do some YouTube searching for the cleanest way to cut through thick plastic. I found it difficult to do without it looking like shit.
I've had good luck trimming plastic cleanly with a flap disc, or if more finesse is needed, a dremel.

BrentC

Badlands
First Name
Brent
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 F150 Sport, 2021 Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I was under the impression that the rear ones don't work with the steel rear bumper. Is that correct?

I was thinking about buying them and trying to modify them to try to get them to work with the steel bumper.
The rear flaps mount inside the wheel well so I’m unsure about how they could interfere with the bumper. If there’s a clash point I’ll mark it on the flap and cut that area out.

I don’t have my Bronco yet so I can’t give a definitive answer from first-hand experience. There was another thread on this subject posted some months ago that had mounted the OEM flaps on a BL, and I remember the OP saying the rears were a clean install.

5280Bronco

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
02 Mustang GT, 05 Volvo V70R, 17 Mazda 6
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

The rear flaps mount inside the wheel well so I’m unsure about how they could interfere with the bumper. If there’s a clash point I’ll mark it on the flap and cut that area out.

I don’t have my Bronco yet so I can’t give a definitive answer from first-hand experience. There was another thread on this subject posted some months ago that had mounted the OEM flaps on a BL, and I remember the OP saying the rears were a clean install.
I'm hopeful that it's a clean install, so I'll probably give them a shot on my BD. I just had heard some different information. Maybe someone else has any more info?

tourproto

Badlands
First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 BMW e46
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Thanks for the post. I read that the "plain" Ford mudflaps would not work with rock rails and I was thinking of doing the same thing you did. Glad to know that it can work. I have done lots of Dremel work on other plastic-y things. This should be a piece of cake to do.

For the "template", I was thinking of just using a silver ink sharpie to outline where the rock rail end hits the mud flap and then back off 1/4" to a 1/2" inside of that to start dremeling out the plastic and then "trim to fit". A little bit of acetone on a paper towel will clean off the sharpie ink.

Also agree with BrentC on the ice buildup. Portland does not get a lot of snow/ice, but when we do, I have seen the buildup on the flaps front and rear on our Outback. You really notice when you park the car in the garage and come out a few hours later with huge puddles on the floor right behind each wheel well.
Sponsored