Sponsored

OEM motorcycle rail carrier for front or rear wanted .

H - 2 CHARLIE

Wildtrak
First Name
CHARLIE
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F 150 - E 350
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
I'm sure a good aftermarket unit will be out but ford is offering everything under the sun why not a bike carrier ?
Sponsored

395N

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Jeep Rubicon XR
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Clubs

I'm sure a good aftermarket unit will be out but ford is offering everything under the sun why not a bike carrier ?
Way too much liability and take rate would be very low.
MX Hauler will work fine.
Ford Bronco OEM motorcycle rail carrier for front or rear wanted  . 2F91A5D2-5230-438C-A737-1853FA997354

AcesandEights

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Ace!
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
DR650
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Aftermarket already has you covered and it'll be too heavy for the rear receiver. The Bronco isn't rated to carry enough, or barely. 10% of tow rating for hitch weight is 350 lbs.

Last edited:

395N

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Jeep Rubicon XR
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Clubs

Aftermarket already has you covered and it'll be too heavy for the rest receiver.. The Bronco isnt rated to carry enough, or barely. 10% of tow rating for hitch weight is 350 lbs.
Will be fine for dirt bikes.
Big adventure bikes, no go.

AcesandEights

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Ace!
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
DR650
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Maybe.

The Versahauler, the one I own, weighs 94 lbs. It also requires a Class III or IV receiver and is rated for 500 lbs. So, the heaviest bike you could haul and stay within the 350 tongue limit (assuming Ford has a 350 lbs. tongue limit based on 10% of the trailer limit), would be 256 lbs. Even the Yamaha TT-R230 trail bike pushes that limit. Buy any trail/enduro bike with a headlight and you're pretty much out of luck.

To answer the OP question, Ford isn't likely to offer an option that would allow for an weight over the allowed tongue weight; not likely to offer a product with a 500 lbs. weight limit on a receiver with a 350 lbs. tongue limit. Although, they offer a roof top tent that almost certainly exceeds the weight limits on the roof.

Sponsored

MillerBuilt

Wildtrak
First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Chevy 3500, Dodge 2500, F150, Mercedez E350
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

We can’t even get surfboards on a rack without being over weight.......how are we going to get dirt bikes mounted to a bumper??

Velociraptor

Badlands
First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Lexus RX450h, 2021 Toyota 4Runner TRD Pro
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Way too much liability and take rate would be very low.
MX Hauler will work fine.
Ford Bronco OEM motorcycle rail carrier for front or rear wanted  . 2F91A5D2-5230-438C-A737-1853FA997354
Plus one for the MX hauler. I have a class III hitch on my Subaru Crosstrek and carry a Husky 501s. It is way over the tongue weight rating for the Subaru but so far has been OK. I think the MX hauler is around 50lbs and my Husky is around 300 so 350 total is the tongue weight limit for the Bronco. One potential issue with the Bronco is the external spare tire. Using a hitch extension is a no-go because it would half the tongue weight limit due to leverage. Ideally the MX hauler+bike would fit with the spare tire but I doubt it. My hope now is that I can remove the spare tire and can fit the bike around the remaining backup camera and spare tire mounting hardware but who knows. I am going to be massively frustrated if I can't find a good way to haul my bike on the Bronco since I can do it on the Crosstrek even though I am exceeding the tongue weight limit.

395N

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Jeep Rubicon XR
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Clubs

Plus one for the MX hauler. I have a class III hitch on my Subaru Crosstrek and carry a Husky 501s. It is way over the tongue weight rating for the Subaru but so far has been OK. I think the MX hauler is around 50lbs and my Husky is around 300 so 350 total is the tongue weight limit for the Bronco. One potential issue with the Bronco is the external spare tire. Using a hitch extension is a no-go because it would half the tongue weight limit due to leverage. Ideally the MX hauler+bike would fit with the spare tire but I doubt it. My hope now is that I can remove the spare tire and can fit the bike around the remaining backup camera and spare tire mounting hardware but who knows. I am going to be massively frustrated if I can't find a good way to haul my bike on the Bronco since I can do it on the Crosstrek even though I am exceeding the tongue weight limit.
MX Hauler is 60 pounds.
20 KTM 300 XC-W is 241 wet.
Not sure how the Bronco compares to the Wranger, but I've seen plenty of Jeeps with the MX Hauler with the extension carrying dirt bikes and dual sports without a problem.

GaryB2220

Badlands
First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'99 4runner, '10 Town & Country
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Everyone brings up excellent points so far. I think the safest, and easiest option to implement without messing up your backup camera view or spare tire, is to get a $700 trailer to tow behind. Added bonus is you'll be able to fit two dirt bikes, gas cans, and coolers

Sponsored

DustyBronco

Badlands
First Name
Dusty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FJ40
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

You beat me to it. I ride a Street legal(ish) ‘18 250 xc-w

395N

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Jeep Rubicon XR
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Clubs

Everyone brings up excellent points so far. I think the safest, and easiest option to implement without messing up your backup camera view or spare tire, is to get a $700 trailer to tow behind. Added bonus is you'll be able to fit two dirt bikes, gas cans, and coolers
Except that is not is what this thread is about.
But man..for the cost of some of these hitch haulers it is close to the price of a trailer.

AcesandEights

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Ace!
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
DR650
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Harbor Freight sells a trailer for $300 (definitely less than the Versahaul). You'd have to add a sheet of plywood. So, there are probably less expensive and (in some cases) better alternatives than hanging a bike on the back of the Bronc. And, you'd have, as the other poster stated, a place for fuel, tools and gear.

Velociraptor

Badlands
First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Lexus RX450h, 2021 Toyota 4Runner TRD Pro
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I have a small bike trailer that I bought years ago called "Trailer in a Bag" and used it for years towing sport bikes to track days. The supplied fenders quickly broke so have used it without fenders. It takes time to put together and I don't have space to store a normal bike trailer. The MX hauler does not take up much space and it is quick and easy to mount and put the bike on it. Also I wonder about tongue weight ratings. I think those are more related to stability of the vehicle towing a heavy trailer so having something like a hitch carrier for a motorcycle might be different. Just speculation. 395N wrote above that he has seen Jeeps with extensions hauling bikes so I may give that a try and see how it works.

I was browsing the specs for a 2dr Defender and found this:

"‡‡The maximum coupling point (nose weight) only applies to trailers with overrun brakes, without overrun breaks the maximum coupling point (nose weight) = 330lbs. Furthermore, the coupling point (nose weight) must not exceed 10% of the gross caravan or trailer weight. For further information, please contact your preferred Land Rover Retailer."

So seems the Defender 2dr is not so different than the Bronco for certain types of trailers. That also again leads me to think that we might be able to exceed the tongue weight rating a bit with a hitch rack and still be fine since we are not pulling a trailer.

395N

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Jeep Rubicon XR
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Clubs

Harbor Freight sells a trailer for $300 (definitely less than the Versahaul). You'd have to add a sheet of plywood. So, there are probably less expensive and (in some cases) better alternatives than hanging a bike on the back of the Bronc. And, you'd have, as the other poster stated, a place for fuel, tools and gear.
And then you'd have to store it. Pass.
Gas can be placed on the MX Hauler so you don't need to carry inside the rig. Yes, would add even more weight...but I live life on the edge..lol.
Ford Bronco OEM motorcycle rail carrier for front or rear wanted  . IMG_0724
Sponsored