Brock
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lots
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

I have a simple question, does your normal car insurance cover you if you total or damage your car while off road. More precisely while going way off the path or rock climbing? I only ask because I have sports cars that require "track day" insurance if I want to be covered while racing. Has anyone had trouble getting anything covered?

rapter.gif
Sponsored

NM_21Bronco

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Explorer
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I've heard wranglers have some of the cheaper insurance quotes. Again, I've "HEARD" so take it with a grain of salt. I'm sure owners on here can confirm/deny this

OP
OP
Brocked

Brocked

Wildtrak
First Name
Brock
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lots
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Sponsored

Pain612

Black Diamond
First Name
Evan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Camaro 2 Door Black Diamond Reservation
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I've heard wranglers have some of the cheaper insurance quotes. Again, I've "HEARD" so take it with a grain of salt. I'm sure owners on here can confirm/deny this
Insurance on my 98 TJ is more than my 13 Camaro so definitely not my experience.

dejones64

Black Diamond
First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco 2-dr Black Diamond
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Probably best to talk to your agent. Don't want to surprise them or yourself after the fact. They will also determine your coverage based on type of vehicle and trim level.

Mattwings

Badlands
First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Badlands Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Typically, the restrictions found in auto and motorcycle policies are aimed at organized racing or "speed events". If you are being timed and the event is sponsored, it may be restricted. This is one reason so many car/motorcycle/off road clubs do poker runs. Not timed, just "win" prizes by making the checkpoints and drawing cards. Read your policy and look particularly hard at the section called "exclusions". It was a common saying when I worked for an insurance company in claims- stupidity is not excluded. That's a good thing for many of us :)

Sponsored

Mattwings

Badlands
First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Badlands Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

If you read that article, it does not explain how or when coverage is excluded. It is a site trying to encourage you to quote your policy, it seems somewhat biased and not reference to actual fact, just my observation. Your advice to read your policy is solid and I agree 100%.

Xodric

Badlands
First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Manitoba, Canada ( Born/Raised in Kansas )
Vehicle(s)
1978 Bronco XLT, 1979 F150 4x4
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

With Ford advertising the Bronco as an off road vehicle if they than dont allow for off road damage ( to some extent ) to be covered under warranty than they would be sued into bankruptcy.

TXJeepScientist

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
07 Toyota Avalon, 08 Honda Civic, 01 Nissan Pathfinder, 10 3T Saab, 94 Jeep Cherokee
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Clubs

I have a simple question, does your normal car insurance cover you if you total or damage your car while off road. More precisely while going way off the path or rock climbing? I only ask because I have sports cars that require "track day" insurance if I want to be covered while racing. Has anyone had trouble getting anything covered?

rapter.gif
Learning from the Jeep JLWrangler Forum, the short answer is no. Car insurance will not cover accidents while off road driving.

Another thing to consider is modifications and insurance. Again from the JLWrangler Forum, depending when you get the accessories/mods like lift kits, when and who does the mods, and the type of driving, those mods may not be covered. If the dealer or motor company adds the modifications prior to the sale of the vehicle, the insurance companies may go ahead and consider the vehicle stock and insure your vehicle. If the mods are done by somebody else after the sale, then those mods will require additional insurance. This was my takeaway from this thread in the JLWrangler Forum. I can't wait to hear other opinions, because I really I'm not into the extreme offroading thing as some are and I could be wrong.
Sponsored