Sponsored

Off Road driving impressions of the Bronco after attending the Las Vegas Off Roadeo

goatman

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
A bunch of Jeeps
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Clubs

I attended the Las Vegas Off Roadeo today and thought I'd pass along some impressions. The Bronco I drove was a 4dr 2.7L Outer Banks with Sasquatch. It had the 12" screen and 360* camera. From looking at pics and video from the various Off Roadeo locations, I think it's safe to say that the Nevada venue has the most technical routes. There is plenty of off camber, narrow tight canyons, steep uphill and downhill grades, drops, and climbs, and rocks. The information and instruction that was provided by our guide Joe was informative, accurate, and thorough. I say this based on many many years of hardcore off roading and exploring (and competing).

The suspension was a bit stiffer than I expected. It wasn't bad, just a touch stiffer going 5-15 mph than I thought it might be. Going slow over rougher terrain it was fine, and stable, and it felt good going 20 mph plus. My Outer Banks didn't have the sta bar disconnect, so the articulation wasn't as good as on a Bronco that did have it. This didn't keep the Bronco from doing everything easily, but the lockers had to be used a few times more than I expected, based on comparing it to Jeeps I've wheeled when the sway bar was disconnected. The Bronco lifted a tire more easily, but never had a problem making it with one locker engaged. With a reasonably firm suspension and no sway bar disconnect, the Bronco needs at least one locker for twisty very uneven terrain. Makes a good argument for at least a Black Diamond or Sasquatch if your wheeling and exploring will be rougher and more uneven roads and trails.

One of the surprising things for me was how well the auto trans worked. In normal mode the trans wouldn't automatically upshift when off the throttle, it would hold in a gear based on the speed. That was nice. When in the manual mode, which makes you shift each gear, the torque converter kept a very low stall speed and even going downhill with no foot on the brake and not using One Pedal it would hold the Bronco at a very low speed. It was totally fine going down a long steep hill at crawl speed without touching the brake. I had not expected that. And this was just manual mode for the trans, not One Pedal or Trail Control. Overall, the trans seems to have a very low stall speed, which is good for off road slow speed driving. It was easy to crawl slowly once I got a bit used to it. If you want to control each gear and shift, and hold better going down steep hills, the manual mode gives you complete control of the trans, it will stay in whatever gear you shift it to.

Another thing that was a pleasant surprise was that I actually liked the One Pedal and the Trail Control. Previously I anticipated that they were just widgets added for marketing but likely would have little benefit in actual trail running. The One Pedal you have to get used to it. One off road driving technique that I've learned is to left foot brake slightly and apply steady throttle pressure to keep the torque converter loaded and the speed more constant at slow speed crawling. Obviously, more seat time in any car will help you do this effectively. However, once I got a feel for it, it was pretty smooth to do the same thing with One Pedal. You have to keep enough throttle pressure to keep moving slowly but it works, and if you must stop it automatically holds you until you start up again. Not a necessary feature, but it does work and has a purpose. The Trail Control was kind of cool. You use the up arrow on the cruise control buttons on the steering wheel to set your desired speed, it goes up in .5 mph increments, then take your foot off the brake and it goes to and holds that speed. There is a readout on the dash that tells what speed, like 1.5, 2.5, 3, etc. Was nice to use while following the line of Broncos on a trail winding through trees and going up and down, hit the up button to increase by .5 mph increments or hit the down button to decrease by .5 mph to keep the distance you want between the Bronco in front of you, or a speed that's comfortable. Sure, you can control the speed yourself, but it works perfectly and was kind of cool. Now, I did not like Trail Control going up hill over bigger rocks, the idle speed wasn't enough to keep it from stalling out and stopping and starting, since I wanted a very slow speed to not bounce over the rocks. But on small rocks and other surfaces it worked fine.

It was the same with Turn Assist. Sure, we can back up and make a two or three point turn. If you've been on trail runs with other vehicles, it's always nice when you can negotiate any obstacle or turn without having to stop and back up. We use cutting brakes on sand cars and rock buggies. Turn Assist lets you make tight turns without backing up. It works especially well if the front locker is locked and Turn Assist is used, it's just like what we call doing a front dig in a rock buggy. We disconnect the rear axle and power the front in a tight turn with a cutting brake holding the rear, and the front digs around pivoting on the rear to reposition in a tight situation. Exactly what the Bronco can do with Turn Assist and the front locker engaged.

One of the negative things of the Bronco is the visibility on the trail in tight or rocky situations. It's hard to determine how big a deal this is with only one time driving. As we get familiar with a vehicle we get a much better sense of the vehicles foot print and where things are. So, it might end up being ok, but it was different from driving the Jeep that I'm used to. The Bronco I drove had the 12" screen and 360* camera. Front view with the 12" screen is actually a bit annoying. It's very large and visible and the movement draws your eye to it. The camera is such a wide angle that the depth perception is very difficult and mostly useless. It removes much of the size and shape in 3d of what you're seeing, so it's kind of a flat view with little useful info. If you've already looked ahead and can remember what's there, then it would help identify what you're seeing on the screen, but then maybe you don't need to see it on the screen. The 360* view I saw no point in at all, but this is a very short term impression and with more seat time maybe it would be helpful. The view that I did like was forward at te two front tires. The camera looks forward from the mirror and shows the front tire, on a split screen so you can see both front tires and what they are doing. This had some benefit in placing the tires where you wanted and missing some bigger rocks.

I liked that the steering wheel both tilted and telescoped, so it was nice to get it exactly where was comfortable. I liked that the door was frameless around the window, was just a nice touch getting in and out with the window down. We switched various modes regularly, and there would be a message on the dash display asking or telling you, with a red OK highlighted. You had to remember to hit the OK button on the steering wheel, but that is just something to get used to.

So, there are a few impressions and observations after having a few hours driving off road in the Bronco.

Ford Bronco Off Road driving impressions of the Bronco after attending the Las Vegas Off Roadeo off roadeo1

Ford Bronco Off Road driving impressions of the Bronco after attending the Las Vegas Off Roadeo off roadeo3
Sponsored

Daktari

Badlands
First Name
Oliver
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Badsquatch, Tacoma TRD Off Road, Jetta
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

great review, was looking forward to your thoughts driving one of these on trails. Interesting to read what someone with your experience has to say, I'm looking forward to trying mine out soon!

Also nice to confirm (to me) that the Vegas one is the one for me sometime next year. Most resembles the kind of trail I'll see closest to home. Love Moab, but it's only there. And I'm not really into mud and all that.

Thanks!

Dom

First Name
Dom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2000 Ford Expedition, 2013 Ford Fusion
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Clubs

Nice write up! Thanks for sharing your inpressions.

BuzzyBud

First Name
TBD
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
TBD
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
I attended the Las Vegas Off Roadeo today and thought I'd pass along some impressions. The Bronco I drove was a 4dr 2.7L Outer Banks with Sasquatch. It had the 12" screen and 360* camera. From looking at pics and video from the various Off Roadeo locations, I think it's safe to say that the Nevada venue has the most technical routes. There is plenty of off camber, narrow tight canyons, steep uphill and downhill grades, drops, and climbs, and rocks. The information and instruction that was provided by our guide Joe was informative, accurate, and thorough. I say this based on many many years of hardcore off roading and exploring (and competing).

The suspension was a bit stiffer than I expected. It wasn't bad, just a touch stiffer going 5-15 mph than I thought it might be. Going slow over rougher terrain it was fine, and stable, and it felt good going 20 mph plus. My Outer Banks didn't have the sta bar disconnect, so the articulation wasn't as good as on a Bronco that did have it. This didn't keep the Bronco from doing everything easily, but the lockers had to be used a few times more than I expected, based on comparing it to Jeeps I've wheeled when the sway bar was disconnected. The Bronco lifted a tire more easily, but never had a problem making it with one locker engaged. With a reasonably firm suspension and no sway bar disconnect, the Bronco needs at least one locker for twisty very uneven terrain. Makes a good argument for at least a Black Diamond or Sasquatch if your wheeling and exploring will be rougher and more uneven roads and trails.

One of the surprising things for me was how well the auto trans worked. In normal mode the trans wouldn't automatically upshift when off the throttle, it would hold in a gear based on the speed. That was nice. When in the manual mode, which makes you shift each gear, the torque converter kept a very low stall speed and even going downhill with no foot on the brake and not using One Pedal it would hold the Bronco at a very low speed. It was totally fine going down a long steep hill at crawl speed without touching the brake. I had not expected that. And this was just manual mode for the trans, not One Pedal or Trail Control. Overall, the trans seems to have a very low stall speed, which is good for off road slow speed driving. It was easy to crawl slowly once I got a bit used to it. If you want to control each gear and shift, and hold better going down steep hills, the manual mode gives you complete control of the trans, it will stay in whatever gear you shift it to.

Another thing that was a pleasant surprise was that I actually liked the One Pedal and the Trail Control. Previously I anticipated that they were just widgets added for marketing but likely would have little benefit in actual trail running. The One Pedal you have to get used to it. One off road driving technique that I've learned is to left foot brake slightly and apply steady throttle pressure to keep the torque converter loaded and the speed more constant at slow speed crawling. Obviously, more seat time in any car will help you do this effectively. However, once I got a feel for it, it was pretty smooth to do the same thing with One Pedal. You have to keep enough throttle pressure to keep moving slowly but it works, and if you must stop it automatically holds you until you start up again. Not a necessary feature, but it does work and has a purpose. The Trail Control was kind of cool. You use the up arrow on the cruise control buttons on the steering wheel to set your desired speed, it goes up in .5 mph increments, then take your foot off the brake and it goes to and holds that speed. There is a readout on the dash that tells what speed, like 1.5, 2.5, 3, etc. Was nice to use while following the line of Broncos on a trail winding through trees and going up and down, hit the up button to increase by .5 mph increments or hit the down button to decrease by .5 mph to keep the distance you want between the Bronco in front of you, or a speed that's comfortable. Sure, you can control the speed yourself, but it works perfectly and was kind of cool. Now, I did not like Trail Control going up hill over bigger rocks, the idle speed wasn't enough to keep it from stalling out and stopping and starting, since I wanted a very slow speed to not bounce over the rocks. But on small rocks and other surfaces it worked fine.

It was the same with Turn Assist. Sure, we can back up and make a two or three point turn. If you've been on trail runs with other vehicles, it's always nice when you can negotiate any obstacle or turn without having to stop and back up. We use cutting brakes on sand cars and rock buggies. Turn Assist lets you make tight turns without backing up. It works especially well if the front locker is locked and Turn Assist is used, it's just like what we call doing a front dig in a rock buggy. We disconnect the rear axle and power the front in a tight turn with a cutting brake holding the rear, and the front digs around pivoting on the rear to reposition in a tight situation. Exactly what the Bronco can do with Turn Assist and the front locker engaged.

One of the negative things of the Bronco is the visibility on the trail in tight or rocky situations. It's hard to determine how big a deal this is with only one time driving. As we get familiar with a vehicle we get a much better sense of the vehicles foot print and where things are. So, it might end up being ok, but it was different from driving the Jeep that I'm used to. The Bronco I drove had the 12" screen and 360* camera. Front view with the 12" screen is actually a bit annoying. It's very large and visible and the movement draws your eye to it. The camera is such a wide angle that the depth perception is very difficult and mostly useless. It removes much of the size and shape in 3d of what you're seeing, so it's kind of a flat view with little useful info. If you've already looked ahead and can remember what's there, then it would help identify what you're seeing on the screen, but then maybe you don't need to see it on the screen. The 360* view I saw no point in at all, but this is a very short term impression and with more seat time maybe it would be helpful. The view that I did like was forward at te two front tires. The camera looks forward from the mirror and shows the front tire, on a split screen so you can see both front tires and what they are doing. This had some benefit in placing the tires where you wanted and missing some bigger rocks.

I liked that the steering wheel both tilted and telescoped, so it was nice to get it exactly where was comfortable. I liked that the door was frameless around the window, was just a nice touch getting in and out with the window down. We switched various modes regularly, and there would be a message on the dash display asking or telling you, with a red OK highlighted. You had to remember to hit the OK button on the steering wheel, but that is just something to get used to.

So, there are a few impressions and observations after having a few hours driving off road in the Bronco.

off roadeo1.jpg

off roadeo3.jpg
I found your detailed impressions very helpful. Thank you. I am new to off-road driving and look forward to having a vehicle which provides some compensation for my lack of experience. I attended Off-Roadeo New Hampshire in August and focused on learning when and where to engage the vehicle technology. I would value your comments on a few of my observations.
  • The Bronco I was driving had the stabilizer bar disconnect and I frequently used the feature to settle the Bronco. I gave me a feeling of having the Bronco more planted on irregular terrain. I will use this on my Badlands.
  • Although my Bronco did not have the trail cam, I thought it would be helpful on steep inclines where it is difficult to see the trail and navigate a turn.
  • I was attempting to use the outside rearview mirrors to monitor the front of the rear tires especially while using the Trail Turn Assist. I sensed that is an acquired skill.
  • I was driving a four door Bronco and it felt both nimble and maneuverable on tight wooded trails. (I currently drive an F150.) I have ordered a Badlands 2 Door which should feel just as good.
  • We aired down to 25psi and that seems to enhance crawling over rocks. Not sure if your vehicles did the same.
  • We spend most of our time placing the 10 speed in M and moving through the gears as needed. I liked how that functioned.

Jdyount

Badlands
First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

SO a couple of comments here:

First, the front facing camera is going to be an absolute game changer. I've been in so many situations where you're either pointed straight up and all you see is sky through the windshield, or there was a drop-off where you have no idea where it falls off so you have to inch up to it. There are a lot of cases where there isn't a great (safe) place for the spotter to stand where they can see the obstacle and you can see them. The front camera is 100% gonna help with that. I will add this, the camera definitely is NOT a replacement for your own eyes. If it's a new trail or obstacle and you're not sure, go walk the trail, get your plan together, and use the camera as the tool it should be.

Second, I think you did a great job going though the One Pedal and the Trail Assist. What I would stress is this: These are some of the tools that set the Bronco apart from the Jeep. Sure anyone with experience knows how to use the 2 foot down hill method, but these new tools make it easy for anyone. You do still need a bit of experience (and that's why the Off-Roadeo is so great), but for the most part it's fairly easy to pick up. The same goes for the GOAT modes in my opinion. Sure anyone with experience knows what you should do on rocks vs sand vs mud, but the Bronco makes it easy to set a good default for any of these situations. Plus you get better control in a lot of cases (for example with the traction control in sand mode) then you would with a Jeep.

Last edited:

Sponsored
OP
OP
goatman

goatman

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
A bunch of Jeeps
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Clubs

I found your detailed impressions very helpful. Thank you. I am new to off-road driving and look forward to having a vehicle which provides some compensation for my lack of experience. I attended Off-Roadeo New Hampshire in August and focused on learning when and where to engage the vehicle technology. I would value your comments on a few of my observations.
  • The Bronco I was driving had the stabilizer bar disconnect and I frequently used the feature to settle the Bronco. I gave me a feeling of having the Bronco more planted on irregular terrain. I will use this on my Badlands.
  • Although my Bronco did not have the trail cam, I thought it would be helpful on steep inclines where it is difficult to see the trail and navigate a turn.
  • I was attempting to use the outside rearview mirrors to monitor the front of the rear tires especially while using the Trail Turn Assist. I sensed that is an acquired skill.
  • I was driving a four door Bronco and it felt both nimble and maneuverable on tight wooded trails. (I currently drive an F150.) I have ordered a Badlands 2 Door which should feel just as good.
  • We aired down to 25psi and that seems to enhance crawling over rocks. Not sure if your vehicles did the same.
  • We spend most of our time placing the 10 speed in M and moving through the gears as needed. I liked how that functioned.
The sway bar disconnect is a big deal. On Jeeps, we always disconnect the sway bar. At the Off Roadeo they wanted to show folks the difference when using and not using it, but in the real world you would just hit disconnect at the beginning of the trail and leave it that way. Except that each time you shut the Bronco off, and then restart it you'll have to hit the disconnect button again.

I'm sure we would get more familiar with using the front camera. What I found was the angle was so wide there was no depth perception, so I would not trust it going downhill. It wouldn't even show how big a rock was, on the screen it looked flat. But, we shall see with time.

Yeah, I was tempted to turn the mirrors down to see the rear tires. Mostly to see if the rear of the Bronco is clearing a rock or a tree if you're not sure.

I also ordered a 2 dr. It should feel even better.

Yes, we ran 24-25 psi. We had an interesting discussion about tire pressures. They had been cutting the Goodyear tires at the normal street pressure of close to 40 psi. They had to get permission from Ford to lower the pressures. Since they did they hadn't cut another tire. Joe gave the instruction that lowering the air pressure will help to not cut tires, and I had also read this on some overlanding stuff. In rock crawling and hardcore trail running we have found that increasing air pressure helps to minimize cutting tires. Real low pressures allow the side wall to get squeezed between a rock or rut and the rim. Seems like there is a crossover of not too much pressure and not too little. In normal rock crawling we run 5-15 psi, but in rock racing we run around 25 to keep from cutting tires.

BuzzyBud

First Name
TBD
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
TBD
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
The sway bar disconnect is a big deal. On Jeeps, we always disconnect the sway bar. At the Off Roadeo they wanted to show folks the difference when using and not using it, but in the real world you would just hit disconnect at the beginning of the trail and leave it that way. Except that each time you shut the Bronco off, and then restart it you'll have to hit the disconnect button again.

I'm sure we would get more familiar with using the front camera. What I found was the angle was so wide there was no depth perception, so I would not trust it going downhill. It wouldn't even show how big a rock was, on the screen it looked flat. But, we shall see with time.

Yeah, I was tempted to turn the mirrors down to see the rear tires. Mostly to see if the rear of the Bronco is clearing a rock or a tree if you're not sure.

I also ordered a 2 dr. It should feel even better.

Yes, we ran 24-25 psi. We had an interesting discussion about tire pressures. They had been cutting the Goodyear tires at the normal street pressure of close to 40 psi. They had to get permission from Ford to lower the pressures. Since they did they hadn't cut another tire. Joe gave the instruction that lowering the air pressure will help to not cut tires, and I had also read this on some overlanding stuff. In rock crawling and hardcore trail running we have found that increasing air pressure helps to minimize cutting tires. Real low pressures allow the side wall to get squeezed between a rock or rut and the rim. Seems like there is a crossover of not too much pressure and not too little. In normal rock crawling we run 5-15 psi, but in rock racing we run around 25 to keep from cutting tires.
Interesting points regarding tire pressure. Thank you for that info!

I have two sets of tire pressure deflators as a starting point. Coyotes set at 18psi and TJ Brooks Pro with variable setting as needed. Time will tell if they serve me well.

Regarding the Goodyear Territory MT, standard on SAS. Do you sense they will work well? Not sure if it might be better to have a tire with Kevlar sidewall. Thoughts?

Mattwings

Badlands
First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Badlands Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Nice write up, too bad I can't try all the locations (We did Austin). I agree the camera is a bit challenging on depth perception. I notice that in really tight situations, I have to orient myself and slow down, because what I see and what the camera shows don't always match. I am getting used to it and definitely wouldn't want to go without it given the choice!

OP
OP
goatman

goatman

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
A bunch of Jeeps
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Clubs

Regarding the Goodyear Territory MT, standard on SAS. Do you sense they will work well? Not sure if it might be better to have a tire with Kevlar sidewall. Thoughts?
No real opinion, not enough experience with them. I think they grip well. We were sponsored by Goodyear when they were still sponsoring off road teams (were sponsored by Falken after that), and ran MT/R's. They had great traction and were very durable, don't know how the Territory's compare.

Hopeless Diamond

Badlands
First Name
JR
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F350/2dr Rubicon/'96 4R/'75 Intl D150/'22 Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I've been curious about the trail cameras and how well they worked. We drove a Badlands without them so didn't get to experience first hand. I was wondering if it could be distracting if on all the time. I can definitely see a use case at times though, seeing placement of the front tires will be a big help, and those times where you can't see over a rise. While novel, I would think it be less helpful if left on all the time.

We drove a Badlands and the Sway-bar disconnect is the way to go. Being able to disconnect/reconnect under load is great. While not a surprise, the difference between vehicles equipped with it (and on) vs. those without it was very telling. We were following an OBX and the amount of wheel lift compared to what we had was amazing.

Thanks for your detailed impressions.

JR

Sponsored

FstFrd00

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.gunsmithingtx.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 BD Sasquatch
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I still had 44 psi on the wildtrak, at the TX Offroadeo. Airing down would've helped a lot. I didn't have the sta-bar disconnect, it would've been nice but never really needed it, IMO. My wildtrak didn't have the front camera.

ChrisD

Badlands
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco Badlands, 2021 Lincoln Corsair
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Fantastic review! I pretty much agree with everything.

I'm highlighting this part. I used this doing the descent on the Leadville side of Mosquito Pass a couple of weeks ago. I just set the bronco in Manual 1, left the transfer case in 4L and the stabar disconnected, and rolled down the hill just providing steering input.

It was actually pretty relaxing rolling down and I spent the drive down cutting up with a passenger I'd picked up along the way.

One of my key thoughts is that after spending a day wheeling in my bronco, I'm not tired like I was in my JK. I'm not in better shape than I was then, but I'm plenty fresh and when I pull off the trail, air up, I'm ready for a drive home. I was always worn out when I got to the end of the day in the Jeep.

FstFrd00

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.gunsmithingtx.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 BD Sasquatch
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

One Pedal it would hold the Bronco at a very low speed. It was totally fine going down a long steep hill at crawl speed without touching the brake. I had not expected that.
me either, but it felt comfortable and I always felt in control of the down-hill descent.

Felix808

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
After 746 days, a MY22 4-door Badlands Bronco :-)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

@goatman , Great write up 👍. At first I though Moab would be the place to go, but having the opportunity to experience the more technical trail aspects seems a more valuable experience. and am leaning to the Nevada Rodeo.
Really good news on the Automatic Trans. I'll be interested in the one pedal as I've driven 2 feet & a hand throttle for years, but never wheeled an auto in technical areas. I'm looking forward to it. Also the trail control seems a good way to keep your foot from bouncing on the throttle, the hand throttle really helped with that.
Did you happen to poke your head underneath the different chassis to see if the low hanging braces off the transfer case mount were only on certain configurations?

BigFootie

Heritage
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 ES-350, 2022 Badlands Sport, 2023 Heritage Ed
Your Bronco Model
Heritage
Clubs

Thanks for the great review and insight. Still debating Nevada or Utah rodeo.
Sponsored