Sponsored

Off-Road Driving School That Allows Using Own Vehicle?

BuzzyBud

First Name
TBD
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
TBD
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Off-Roading newbie here, who would value your insights!

Anyone have experience with the Team O'Neil Rally School in New Hampshire and/or any similar schools? Looking ahead to after I take delivery of my Badlands. Want my skills to be worthy of a Badlands.

Interestingly, the school talks about needing to learn left foot braking for off-roading. My Badlands will come with a 2.7 and auto. That brings in "Trail One-Pedal Driving" as well as "Trail Turn Assist". Maybe schools have not yet adjusted to the new technology?
I suspect knowledge is valuable especially surrounding safety, winch procedures, center of gravity concepts, etc.

https://www.teamoneil.com/off-road-driving-course/
Sponsored

Last edited:

pan-y-cerveza

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tacoma Pro
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Off-Roading newbie here, who would value your insights!

Anyone have experience with the Team O'Neil Rally School in New Hampshire and/or any similar schools? Looking ahead to after I take delivery of my Badlands. Want my skills to be worthy of a Badlands.

Interestingly, the school talks about needing to learn left foot braking for off-roading. My Badlands will come with a 2.7 and auto. That brings in "Trail One-Pedal Driving" as well as "Trail Turn Assist". Maybe schools have not yet adjusted to the new technology?
I suspect knowledge is valuable especially surrounding safety, winch procedures, center of gravity concepts, etc.

https://www.teamoneil.com/off-road-driving-course/
Looks, to me, like you would use one of their Cherokees.

OP
OP

BuzzyBud

First Name
TBD
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
TBD
Your Bronco Model
Undecided

LemonShark

Outer Banks
First Name
Christian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mercedes C43 AMG, 2018 Honda Odyssey
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Sad, but true.
Would prefer to train in my Badlands. Any schools allow that?
In my experience with driving schools (SCCA, Porsche, Mercedes), the skills learned will translate to any vehicle. You should see how well I clip an apex in my minivan.

Ford's planned Off-Rodeos will be specifically designed for Bronco buyers to take their personal vehicle for off-road training/fun.

lsustang05

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Ford Raptor SuperCab
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Ford's planned Off-Rodeos will be specifically designed for Bronco buyers to take their personal vehicle for off-road training/fun.
If it’s like the Raptor Assault classes, I doubt they’ll let you use your personal vehicle for liability reasons. I’m sure they’ll have Broncos there for the class to use.

Sponsored

LemonShark

Outer Banks
First Name
Christian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
If it’s like the Raptor Assault classes, I doubt they’ll let you use your personal vehicle for liability reasons. I’m sure they’ll have Broncos there for the class to use.
Mercedes lets you use your own car. It's more fun to use theirs, of course! It was my understanding you would be able to use your own vehicle at the Off-Rodeos. I guess we will find out!

Felix808

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
After 746 days, a MY22 4-door Badlands Bronco :-)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I suggest going to one of the Rodeo's, you'll have a free ticket. This should get you a good understanding of how the vehicle reacts in a controlled & supported environment & should help you build confidence & skills related to your vehicle.

BroncoKong Jr.

Badlands
First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Mercedes lets you use your own car. It's more fun to use theirs, of course! It was my understanding you would be able to use your own vehicle at the Off-Rodeos. I guess we will find out!
Nope. Have to use a loaner.

LemonShark

Outer Banks
First Name
Christian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Nope. Have to use a loaner.
Interesting. Personally, I've ALWAYS used the onsite vehicles (except for SCCA) stuff, as that's more fun.

I'm curious, where have you seen this definitively announced that the off-rodeos will be this way?

BroncoKong Jr.

Badlands
First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Interesting. Personally, I've ALWAYS used the onsite vehicles (except for SCCA) stuff, as that's more fun.

I'm curious, where have you seen this definitively announced that the off-rodeos will be this way?
Can't even remember. I believe it was mentioned in the original Off-Roadeo announcement. It stood out to me.

Sponsored

D190065

First Edition
First Name
Danno
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Bronco FE; 2015 HD RGS; 23 F150 Tremor ordered
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

I think I read on the Ford Off-Rodeo site that you will use their vehicles. There's supposed to eventually be four sites across the US. First one was announced to open in Austin, TX next year. I imagine they will have different terrain for each location. And I also think a 2-day class comes with purchase of a new Bronco at one of the sites. You just have to pay expenses. And personally, if I am learning a new trick, I would rather scratch their vehicle rather than mine.

lsustang05

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Ford Raptor SuperCab
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Close to Austin is Rally Ready. You learn on his vehicles and he’s pretty good about judging your skill and tailoring a class to you. Dave is a Pikes Peak champion and rally champion/racer. Once you’ve learned the skills and how to drive off-road, you can use your vehicle on the same track you learn on to put those skills to the test in your personal vehicle. Can’t say enough about how good his property and crew is. It’s not luxurious, but half the reason to go is for the dogs and how relaxed the atmosphere is. I’ll be going to the off-roadeo but I’m also going to take a class with a buddy there to get more comfortable off-road...especially after I rolled my fist raptor lol

zaki

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Lexus LS 500;'94 Acura NSX;'13 Landcruiser
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
“Left foot braking for off-roading”....

Here’s a scenario where left foot braking is vital: say you are going up a steep incline and have to stop for some reason, and you use your driving/right foot to apply the brake and come to a standstill, now if you want to proceed moving up again you will have to take your right foot off the brake pedal to the gas pedal and in that split second your vehicle will slide backwards and as you now get on the accelerator you will likely overdo it and unsettle the car and spin the wheels or lose the line you want to follow etc. Had you used the left foot for braking you would have just gently got on the gas and let off the pressure on the brakes for a smooth move forward.

Hkak45

Black Diamond
First Name
K
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Bronco Black Diamond
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

“Left foot braking for off-roading”....

Here’s a scenario where left foot braking is vital: say you are going up a steep incline and have to stop for some reason, and you use your driving/right foot to apply the brake and come to a standstill, now if you want to proceed moving up again you will have to take your right foot off the brake pedal to the gas pedal and in that split second your vehicle will slide backwards and as you now get on the accelerator you will likely overdo it and unsettle the car and spin the wheels or lose the line you want to follow etc. Had you used the left foot for braking you would have just gently got on the gas and let off the pressure on the brakes for a smooth move forward.
So in a manual I am screwed?!??
Sponsored