Sponsored

Off Road Maps that work on the Bronco, what is Working?

goatman2

Badlands
First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Website
gandgautorepair.com
Vehicle(s)
F450, Jeep XJ, Porsche 911, 2dr Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I need to finally get an off road map app to do some trip planning. Trying to decide between onX or GAIA. I don't have the Bronco yet but would want it to work easily when I get the Bronco. For you folks that have your Broncos, what have you learned? What are you doing? Any insights?
Sponsored

lenitech

Base
First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1972 Bronco, 2021 Base Sasquatch (AMB)
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

I used the 7 day trial of OnX when I was in Moab last week. It works well over CarPlay. I was able to find my trail and record my run through it. I haven’t paid for it yet. They sent me 20% off discount code after the trial ended.

OP
OP
goatman2

goatman2

Badlands
First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Website
gandgautorepair.com
Vehicle(s)
F450, Jeep XJ, Porsche 911, 2dr Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I used the 7 day trial of OnX when I was in Moab last week. It works well over CarPlay. I was able to find my trail and record my run through it. I haven’t paid for it yet. They sent me 20% off discount code after the trial ended.

I just signed up for the 7 day free trial. Don't have the Bronco yet to try it, but can play with it on my tablet.

wy_overland

Badlands
First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Tacoma
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I have used OnX, Gaia, Google Maps, and Trails Off-road. My go to is always Gaia. It does have a bit of a learning curve to get it all down pat. I don't have my Bronco yet. But Gaia seems to work well on the Wife's Sport. I prefer Gaia due to all the different layers you can put onto the maps. The offline maps work good. But all in all they all do what they are intended to do. No big complaints from either.

Sponsored

Razorbak86

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco, BMW R1150 GS
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I prefer OnX, being a cartographer (yes there is a conflict of interest involved) but stay away from Gaia maps, just atrocious over CarPlay.
Can you please elaborate on the conflict of interest, and why you prefer onX to Gaia? onX landscape mode implementation, which I tried for the first time today in CarPlay mode, isn’t perfect, because all of the menus disappear in landscape mode.

NewBroncoOwner

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco Base
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Can you please elaborate on the conflict of interest, and why you prefer onX to Gaia? onX landscape mode implementation, which I tried for the first time today in CarPlay mode, isn’t perfect, because all of the menus disappear in landscape mode.
I am currently a contract cartographer, that manages several GeoDatabases at a few different mapping companies, including the federal government. I may have a vested interest in one company over another, i am sure you can guess which one.

BroncoRick

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
I've never used OnX so can't compare, but I'm very happy with Gaia GPS. The Private Land and Public Land layers are invaluable in the National Forests east of the Mississippi. I also love the ability to layer all the different topo and informational maps, you get so much more context on the trail. It has saved me going down the wrong trail spur many times. Found the active fire zone layer very helpful out west this year also. Just a good all around app, the subscription is worth it. I use it a lot while hiking, MTB, and paddling as well. I mainly use it on Android though.

Razorbak86

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco, BMW R1150 GS
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I am currently a contract cartographer, that manages several GeoDatabases at a few different mapping companies, including the federal government. I may have a vested interest in one company over another, i am sure you can guess which one.
Understood. Thanks for clarifying. đź‘Ť

Can you please comment, in a non-official way, of course, about the menus disappearing in landscape mode in onX Off-road? I like lots of features in the software package, but will have difficulty subscribing if the software projection in the Bronco’s landscape mode screen in CarPlay is not very functional. Am I missing something that should be obvious (e.g., some kind of a setting which I unwittingly haven’t switched on)? 🤔

Sponsored

BC overlanding

Badlands
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
GAIA hands down, been using Gaia since it was beta, like 5yrs now. I have used it over 90% of the united states and parts of Canada an it has never let me down.
Gaia works great with trails off-road and all trail 2 other sources i use for Nav also
Can't speak on how it works on CarPlay i use iPad and phone for Nav

mbagne

Badlands
First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mach-E GT
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I prefer OnX, being a cartographer (yes there is a conflict of interest involved) but stay away from Gaia maps, just atrocious over CarPlay.
What's wrong with Gaia maps? I was just now thinking of signing up . . .

NewBroncoOwner

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco Base
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Understood. Thanks for clarifying. đź‘Ť

Can you please comment, in a non-official way, of course, about the menus disappearing in landscape mode in onX Off-road? I like lots of features in the software package, but will have difficulty subscribing if the software projection in the Bronco’s landscape mode screen in CarPlay is not very functional. Am I missing something that should be obvious (e.g., some kind of a setting which I unwittingly haven’t switched on)? 🤔
Unofficially I can give you what I THINK is the best way to utilize a certain map program, in a certain layout. In my opinion the best option that i have found, with personal experience, is with an ipad that has network capability / or tethered with a cellphone and with a navigator, for now. With an iPad, the menus do not disappear in the default mode. I use an iPad for the larger screen and the ability to watch important diagnostic information or on-board cameras.

I hope this gives a little unofficial insight for you lol

Example from an iPad, in landscape, is below.

Ford Bronco Off Road Maps that work on the Bronco, what is Working? 1639969689652

The Bronze

First Edition
First Name
Kelly
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1986 Suzuki Samurai, 1967 Ford Bronco, 1993 Turbo Notchback, 2006 Sierra K1500, 2013 Sierra K1500, 2014 Sienna Mini-Van
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

I have been running Gaia for years as well. Easy to load trails, incorporate photos, add layers, share with others and it works well with CarPlay. I have other apps and they work pretty well, but Gaia is my go-to app.
My only complaints:
1) (CarPlay not Gaia) all the CarPlay apps only use 70% of the 12” screen (uses all of the 8”) leaving the other portion for Native apps.
2) Gaia doesn’t zoom out nearly as far through CarPlay, but plenty for trail riding.
3) If you pan over, you have to press a couple of buttons to get recentered. It would be nice for the CarPlay intervention to have an always present recenter button.
Below is Steel Bender in Moab.
Ford Bronco Off Road Maps that work on the Bronco, what is Working? 86BBA823-D7A9-44AA-ACD9-1A4D25CE125D

Gotdesl

Badlands
First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ram 3500 Megacab 4x4
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I've been using OnX for a few years but until this thread hadn't thought of bringing it up with Android Auto. You've given me something to check out.
Sponsored