Sponsored

Off Road Maps that work on the Bronco, what is Working?

contented

Badlands
First Name
Karl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW M2 Competition
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Anyone use Avenza? I've been trying it out while I wait. Seems ok.
Sponsored

Flourman

Badlands
First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 F350 Tremor, 2019 Beta 300RR
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Anyone use Avenza? I've been trying it out while I wait. Seems ok.
I really like Avenza for dirt biking. However, once I started using Gaia, Avenza kinda died off. Gaia is super nice for already having the maps and layers. Avenza has a but of tools to use with though.

Our Bronco has what Ford calls connected GPS. Do these apps work equally well this this?
Our phones are Apple.
Connected GPS means it uses your phoneā€™s GPS. You have CarPlay so Onx and Gaia will both work.

aFordOwner

Raptor
First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach-E, 2022 Bronco Raptor
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Clubs

I know Rivian uses Gaia (insider infošŸ˜) and I hear the full subscription is absolutely worth it. Both look great to me and I havenā€™t decided which one Iā€™m going to use. I have a BD so no front camera to worry about.
Does Gaia have any off road trails in the NY, NJ, CT area? I tried onX and there was basically nothing at all. I am looking at the Gaia app now but cannot tell without buying it.

aFordOwner

Raptor
First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach-E, 2022 Bronco Raptor
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Clubs

I really like Avenza for dirt biking. However, once I started using Gaia, Avenza kinda died off. Gaia is super nice for already having the maps and layers. Avenza has a but of tools to use with though.

Connected GPS means it uses your phoneā€™s GPS. You have CarPlay so Onx and Gaia will both work.
Does Gaia have any trails in the NY, NJ, CT area?

dgorsett

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F250, Mustang, Explorer
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

I've been using OnX for a few years but until this thread hadn't thought of bringing it up with Android Auto. You've given me something to check out.
I also use onX and just got an Android smart phone. I'm a complete tech noob. Once you figure out how to run it on your Bronco let me know...

Sponsored

dgorsett

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F250, Mustang, Explorer
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

I didn't find the forward camera very useful. It is so wide angle that the proportions were off so badly that it was basically useless. Everything looked flat and no distance perspective, so it was pointless, in my opinion. This was from Off Roadeo, might get more familiar with it when I use it more. With a tab;et it would give options.
I've seen folks get in (almost) real trouble using back up cameras off road with a 2D image and no depth perception.

Flourman

Badlands
First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 F350 Tremor, 2019 Beta 300RR
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Does Gaia have any off road trails in the NY, NJ, CT area? I tried onX and there was basically nothing at all. I am looking at the Gaia app now but cannot tell without buying it.
Gaia is a map. You add trails and layers on your own. One of the most useful layers are the National Forest Multi Vehicle Use Maps (MVUM). These show trails in the National forests. You can also get the subscription service and get things like NatGeo Trails Illustrated layers or download/upload *.gpx routes and tracks.

BigMeatsBronco

First Edition
Base Sponsor (Level 1)
First Name
Allan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 FE 2 door
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

I also use onX and just got an Android smart phone. I'm a complete tech noob. Once you figure out how to run it on your Bronco let me know...
Same problem...don't work yet

BigMeatsBronco

First Edition
Base Sponsor (Level 1)
First Name
Allan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 FE 2 door
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

My solution for now, until huntX gets the android side figured out, was to install the MMB box...took some fooling around, and now I use the Bronco Hotspot instead of my phone, but it works well and I can use topozone pro maps, too.
Also nice to be able to watch movies, surf the web on the Bronco main screen...dumb they have this blocked for safety reasons. It should at least be available when the vehicle is not moving...

20211222_124319.jpg

shimmy825

Badlands
First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mazda CX-5
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I am currently a contract cartographer, that manages several GeoDatabases at a few different mapping companies, including the federal government. I may have a vested interest in one company over another, i am sure you can guess which one.
maps.com?

Sponsored

shimmy825

Badlands
First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mazda CX-5
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

As others have stated...investing in OnX Offroad is the way to go. You can download offline maps too. It also can record your breadcrumbs so you know which way you came from. Very nice app and the Premium membership is worth every penny.
The bronco itself has a breadcrumb feature which I discovered during the traveling off-rodeo

AaronW

Badlands
First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

The bronco itself has a breadcrumb feature which I discovered during the traveling off-rodeo
Still donā€™t have the off-road maps unfortunately.

OP
OP
goatman2

goatman2

Badlands
First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Website
gandgautorepair.com
Vehicle(s)
F450, Jeep XJ, Porsche 911, 2dr Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I went ahead and got onX and have it on my laptop and tablet. Haven't used it yet to navigate, but I'm using it to explore potential trails for a UT trip the end of Feb. I like the featured trails feature, similar to Altrails.com. Between the two it is really helping to research for a trip. Don't have a Bronco yet, so no idea how it will work there.

palley6

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Gaia is good once you get the hang of it. I bought the service and also linked my TrailsOffroad.com insider account so what I save on TO it exports to Gaia. When you're in true offroad territory (i.e. - Utah) the maps are unbelievably good by default, let alone whatever you add from external sources.

OP
OP
goatman2

goatman2

Badlands
First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Website
gandgautorepair.com
Vehicle(s)
F450, Jeep XJ, Porsche 911, 2dr Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Gaia is good once you get the hang of it. I bought the service and also linked my TrailsOffroad.com insider account so what I save on TO it exports to Gaia. When you're in true offroad territory (i.e. - Utah) the maps are unbelievably good by default, let alone whatever you add from external sources.

I figure for 30-40 bucks a year I can try them both if I'm not totally happy with onX. Some friends I go out with have Gaia so we'll be able to compare.
Sponsored