Sponsored

Off Road Maps that work on the Bronco, what is Working?

Happy

Black Diamond
First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CJ5, Wagoneer
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Our Bronco has what Ford calls connected GPS. Do these apps work equally well this this?
Our phones are Apple.
Sponsored

OP
OP
goatman2

goatman2

Badlands
First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Website
gandgautorepair.com
Vehicle(s)
F450, Jeep XJ, Porsche 911, 2dr Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I use Android, and figured I'd use my tablet until the Bronco gets here. I've never driven a car new enough to be able to put Nav on the screen, just used my phone. Will be something to learn. I like the Trail Report feature in onX, which I guess GAIA doesn't have. It's useful, along with All Trails, to research trails in a new area, which I'm doing regularly. GAIA definitely has much more information.

AaronW

Badlands
First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

As others have stated...investing in OnX Offroad is the way to go. You can download offline maps too. It also can record your breadcrumbs so you know which way you came from. Very nice app and the Premium membership is worth every penny.

kevin.gt

Base
First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Only issue with the apps is that when you're rock crawling, your cameras are super valuable. And they take up the entire screen. I wish you could split screen apps and the front/side-mirror cameras
+1 for base and aftermarket camera šŸ˜€ thinking something like this or perhaps something made more specifically for off-roading. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01J0RS8UM

edit: the link to a camera solution de-rails the convo. Sorry. But the inverse could work for you: perhaps a tablet mounted with off-road maps. Assuming one could go on the device rails, or perhaps ARā€™s in progress M.O.S.H. rail will work well to transform the grab handle into a tablet mount

Last edited:
OP
OP
goatman2

goatman2

Badlands
First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Website
gandgautorepair.com
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I didn't find the forward camera very useful. It is so wide angle that the proportions were off so badly that it was basically useless. Everything looked flat and no distance perspective, so it was pointless, in my opinion. This was from Off Roadeo, might get more familiar with it when I use it more. With a tab;et it would give options.

Sponsored

Vigor

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
+1 for base and aftermarket camera šŸ˜€ thinking something like this or perhaps something made more specifically for off-roading. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01J0RS8UM

edit: the link to a camera solution de-rails the convo. Sorry. But the inverse could work for you: perhaps a tablet mounted with off-road maps. Assuming one could go on the device rails, or perhaps ARā€™s in progress M.O.S.H. rail will work well to transform the grab handle into a tablet mount
I have a galaxy fold3 which is basically a tablet. I could theoretically mount it like a second screen for when I go off roading next. Great suggestion!!
I didn't find the forward camera very useful. It is so wide angle that the proportions were off so badly that it was basically useless. Everything looked flat and no distance perspective, so it was pointless, in my opinion. This was from Off Roadeo, might get more familiar with it when I use it more. With a tab;et it would give options.
I went off roading this weekend for 6 hours and used mud mode the entire time, focusing on the tire view. I found it invaluable
I agree the front view proportions are too off to be useful. Makes every rock a 2D image, taking away its real size

Broncolli

Black Diamond
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Back Diamond 4 door MIC
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I thought off-road maps were a feature from Ford, did that disappear somewhere ?

OP
OP
goatman2

goatman2

Badlands
First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Website
gandgautorepair.com
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I thought off-road maps were a feature from Ford, did that disappear somewhere ?
I'd still like better info from folks who already have their Broncos. What app will coordinate with the factory set up. Also, I'm not sure what exactly comes with what package. I'm getting Badlands, but no mid/high/lux package.

MrGreen55

Badlands
First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
toyota scion xb
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

IT got pushed back intel 22 some time.
When I was looking up GAIA my biggest problem is you have to program everything for that app. Were onX everything just build in but just behind a pay wall like android auto.

Sponsored

lenitech

Base
First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1972 Bronco, 2021 Base Sasquatch (AMB)
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

I'd still like better info from folks who already have their Broncos. What app will coordinate with the factory set up. Also, I'm not sure what exactly comes with what package. I'm getting Badlands, but no mid/high/lux package.

I used OnX in my Base Squatch through Apple Carplay. It worked really well. I was able to research local trails and download a map covering 100 square miles. I logged my trail run as well. It gave the option to tag waypoints and upload photos but I did not use any of those features. The display of the trail map was full screen on my 8" screen and very clean and simple.

Golfmom

Black Diamond
First Name
Carrie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Carpooling Platinum Escalade ESV
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I know Rivian uses Gaia (insider infošŸ˜) and I hear the full subscription is absolutely worth it. Both look great to me and I havenā€™t decided which one Iā€™m going to use. I have a BD so no front camera to worry about.

VelocityBrew

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Badlands, 20 Passport, 16 1190 Adventure
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Very happy with Gaia across my iPhone, iPad, carplay, PC, and using it to send maps to my Garmin.

Flourman

Badlands
First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 F350 Tremor, 2019 Beta 300RR
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I like Gaia as it integrates pretty well with Apple Watch. I use it primarily for dirt biking. It integrates with CarPlay well too. The only pain is when you want to use your cameras. The nice part is building a route and then following . Not so much in dirt bikes but wheeling.

ā€˜Hereā€™s a little write up I did for my Tremor. Same thing with the 12ā€ screen and CarPlay.

https://www.fordtremor.com/threads/carplay-and-gaia.6855/
Sponsored