Sponsored

Off Road Maps that work on the Bronco, what is Working?

palley6

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I figure for 30-40 bucks a year I can try them both if I'm not totally happy with onX. Some friends I go out with have Gaia so we'll be able to compare.
I have both, both have pros/cons but where I live (Florida) OnX is so limited in value. If you go elsewhere with legitimate trails its great but not here, also the fact that its not compatible with Android Auto yet is a dealbreaker.
Sponsored

Tilzbow

Badlands
First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GM Sierra Diesel Pick Up
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

How accurate are you all finding your phoneā€˜s GPS compared to a dedicated GPS unit like a good Garmin?

Iā€™ve used both OnX and GAIA a little but not for a few years. I found I prefer a paper map and a separate GPS unit for nothing more than the size of the paper map vs my phone screen. Given I live in the west and can see for miles, I tend to be more interested in whatā€™s over the next hill than where Iā€˜m at and the paper map has been better for that. Being a hunter I do like the layers and other options offered by OnX but other than knowing where Iā€™m at I havenā€™t found the little map particularly useful.

That said, being able to use the map on my Broncoā€™s 12ā€ screen via Apple Car Play definitely intrigues me.

OP
OP
goatman2

goatman2

Badlands
First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Website
gandgautorepair.com
Vehicle(s)
F450, Jeep XJ, Porsche 911, 2dr Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
How accurate are you all finding your phoneā€˜s GPS compared to a dedicated GPS unit like a good Garmin?

Iā€™ve used both OnX and GAIA a little but not for a few years. I found I prefer a paper map and a separate GPS unit for nothing more than the size of the paper map vs my phone screen. Given I live in the west and can see for miles, I tend to be more interested in whatā€™s over the next hill than where Iā€˜m at and the paper map has been better for that. Being a hunter I do like the layers and other options offered by OnX but other than knowing where Iā€™m at I havenā€™t found the little map particularly useful.

That said, being able to use the map on my Broncoā€™s 12ā€ screen via Apple Car Play definitely intrigues me.

I'm mostly interested in being able to research routes in a new area, and then be able to find it and stay on it. I'm in a phase of trying to go to new places where I haven't been before, and want to find potential routes before I get there.

DREWR13

Badlands
First Name
DREW
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 Miata....
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I use GAIA in my Bronco. OnX doesn't have any trails really in the Southeast so I find them and plot them out on Gaia on my desktop. Works great so far.

Sponsored

RubiconSasquatch

Badlands
First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 BadSquatch, 2021 JLUR, 2008 JK-X, 65 Elco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
with only the 8.4" screen in my jeep for carplay use, I opted to mount an ipad in there. I'm sure I will do the same in the Bronco when it arrives. Having both screens available offroad seems more useful than whatever carplay and android auto could provide. I'm also a bigger fan of Gaia, with some caveats. The biggest benefit I see to Gaia is that you can grab GPX files that others in the community make, you can make your own and share, etc. You can manage those files from your computer then sync them to your tablet/phone. That's super helpful, when those files are available. When they aren't, OnX might have something built in. in that situation OnX is great... but my biggest complaint is that the trail rating info is buried or non-existent in their interface. If you want to know if that little turnoff you found is hiding serious fun (or serious danger) you better hope for a trail sign or just get out and walk it.

For me it's Gaia first, OnX as a backup. neither via carplay.

Happy

Black Diamond
First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CJ5, Wagoneer
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
That 12 inch built-in screen option is making more sense now then it did when buying the Bronco.

Natai

Badlands
First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Nissan Sentra, Mercedes GLC
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Just got an email that Gaia had been updated with full Android Auto functionality.

BigMeatsBronco

First Edition
Base Sponsor (Level 1)
First Name
Allan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 FE 2 door
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

Does the Gaia show the landowners name? I need that feature for work.

Sponsored

Br0k3N_AxL3

Badlands
First Name
Hans
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'69 Bronco, '11 F150, '88 Bronco, '22 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I'm mostly interested in being able to research routes in a new area, and then be able to find it and stay on it. I'm in a phase of trying to go to new places where I haven't been before, and want to find potential routes before I get there.
Honestly, using both Gaia and OnX interchangeably might be a good option, but they aren't going to be complete or have all the information that exists. Not until communities populate the databases with more information, anyways. Think how Google Maps in the early days wasn't perfect in route selection. It'll take time. OnX seems to have more in CA and CO than Gaia, but Gaia has US Topo maps in addition to the typical topo. If I'm not mistaken, Gaia is what we used in a mountaineering course to save our own custom made strip maps with routes we created and printed them for use as an overlay on our phone while away from a cell signal. OnX has that capability as well, but I've never used it. Honestly, a thorough write up of each is needed and I don't have the time nor patience for that on my phone haha. But what I'm getting at is any app that has topo or forestry map data will be great because all that info already exists, just not with a detailed write up of trail info like you'll find on those apps.

Short story to illustrate this. I was doing a vehicle recovery in Northern CA last August with a Search and Rescue guy who said his department and the SAR community is trying to build their own map system (kind of like a type of Google Earth for SAR crews), but a lot of guys still use Gaia or something else because that app has almost no data and there's no way to import kml files, or any other compatible files. It just needs more data, as would any of these apps folks are suggesting.

OnX is getting populated with tons of info an Gaia has a lot as well. OnX is also used by hunters, hikers, bikers, as well as the off road community. I have both Gaia and OnX, but whether those have trails and routes for you to reference may actually depend on you getting that info submitted yourself in order to populate the app's database. You won't be blazing a trail, per se, but you'll be updating the database as a user.

I included a couple screen shots of the two covering roughly the same area around the Rubicon to see the amount of trails and info they include. Top is OnX, bottom is Gaia. As you can see, it looks like OnX has a lot more information, but I'm sure it's regionally dependant. Like I said, maybe using both will help get the coverage that you're looking for.

Side note. Dudes in the last few posts have said OnX isn't compatible with Android Auto, but that's no longer the case. I got an email within the last few weeks where they said they do. Plus, screen mirroring with Androids may be possible regardless of what you use.

Ford Bronco Off Road Maps that work on the Bronco, what is Working? Screenshot_20220211-232233_onX Offroad
Ford Bronco Off Road Maps that work on the Bronco, what is Working? Screenshot_20220211-232228_Gaia GPS

Panzer948

Badlands
First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1981 CJ5, 2015 BMW M4, 2019 Jeep G.C. Trailhawk
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Okay, I maybe going against this entire thread and ask if anyone here also considered one of the larger handheld GPS dedicated Garmin units. I am leaning toward the Garmin 750i with a ball type mount on my BYOD type mount (Archetype). That way I can have a decent size screen and use my cameras in the Bronco, plus the unit can then be removed for hikes. I actually like the larger size screen of this over the smaller handhelds. This thing is built tough (to military specs) and can take getting wet and thrown around. It has an SOS function too that connects to satellites.

Ford Bronco Off Road Maps that work on the Bronco, what is Working? 1652916018837
Ford Bronco Off Road Maps that work on the Bronco, what is Working? 1652916067948

Before you say use your smartphone, I have already went down that route. For the past couple of years I have been a paid subscriber/user of GAIA on my Android phone. Granted I don't play with it often enough to be an expert, but when I do, I find it very frustrating and it has a huge learning curve. I won't even touch on the toughness of this vs regular smartphone or the concern of killing your phone battery while out hiking. For me, using my phone for hiking just didn't work well as it seemed the maps I wanted to use would lock it up (I downloaded a lot of high-quality detailed maps. That last point is another problem. I had almost to many choices of maps to choose from thru GAIA and there were many similar types that made me feel like I had to try them all. You would think is a good thing but in the end, it was a negative as I spent more time trying to pick which map to look at than actually hiking or off-roading. Switching between these similar map layers was very slow and also caused lockups, which shouldn't be a problem for the Samsung 9S. All those map options ended up making me just get frustrated and put it in my pocket. I did try to use it with Android Auto once and felt it was doing the same buggy things. Sometimes less is more I think applies here. So, just curious if others have thought of going this route too. I just think a dedicated unit always works better than a jack of all trade options (i.e. Smartphone). Maybe one day they can do everything but I don't think they are there yet.

Pros/Cons? I already know pice is a con but am willing to overlook that if I actually use something as intended. Thanks!

swooshdave

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Okay, I maybe going against this entire thread and ask if anyone here also considered one of the larger handheld GPS dedicated Garmin units. I am leaning toward the Garmin 750i with a ball type mount on my BYOD type mount (Archetype). That way I can have a decent size screen and use my cameras in the Bronco, plus the unit can then be removed for hikes. I actually like the larger size screen of this over the smaller handhelds. This thing is built tough (to military specs) and can take getting wet and thrown around. It has an SOS function too that connects to satellites.

Ford Bronco Off Road Maps that work on the Bronco, what is Working? 1652916067948

Before you say use your smartphone, I have already went down that route. For the past couple of years I have been a paid subscriber/user of GAIA on my Android phone. Granted I don't play with it often enough to be an expert, but when I do, I find it very frustrating and it has a huge learning curve. I won't even touch on the toughness of this vs regular smartphone or the concern of killing your phone battery while out hiking. For me, using my phone for hiking just didn't work well as it seemed the maps I wanted to use would lock it up (I downloaded a lot of high-quality detailed maps. That last point is another problem. I had almost to many choices of maps to choose from thru GAIA and there were many similar types that made me feel like I had to try them all. You would think is a good thing but in the end, it was a negative as I spent more time trying to pick which map to look at than actually hiking or off-roading. Switching between these similar map layers was very slow and also caused lockups, which shouldn't be a problem for the Samsung 9S. All those map options ended up making me just get frustrated and put it in my pocket. I did try to use it with Android Auto once and felt it was doing the same buggy things. Sometimes less is more I think applies here. So, just curious if others have thought of going this route too. I just think a dedicated unit always works better than a jack of all trade options (i.e. Smartphone). Maybe one day they can do everything but I don't think they are there yet.

Pros/Cons? I already know pice is a con but am willing to overlook that if I actually use something as intended. Thanks!
I think the advantage of the apps is that they have crowdsourcing to help populate the maps. I believe Garmin relies solely on map services.
Sponsored