Sponsored

Off-Roadeo Question: Winch demonstrations?

FishKzor

Badlands
First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2009 Mustang
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I feel shame for using a new post to ask this, but my father-in-law brought up a good question when I told him about my Off-Rodeo appointment in September:

Will they be giving demonstrations (do’s and don’ts) for winching? I hadn’t considered this, but maybe there’s an off chance since a winch is an available accessory? (I’ve never had a truck with a winch, and could see one in my future on the Bronco)

Anyway, if anyone has any insight, I’d appreciate it.

Thanks
Tom

A2C75CC8-B720-45FA-BF56-931EA5A1190A.jpeg
Sponsored

jwoobs

Black Diamond
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

They did not do any winching demos in TX.

Closest thing was we stopped to talk about traction mats, but no demo of those either.

Edit: actually I forgot they mentioned the off road recovery accessory kit and how to attach hard and soft shackles for recovery with another vehicle. But nothing specific to winch usage.

JaxGtc

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1975 EB Sport; 2021 Outer Banks
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
They talked about winching being an important part of off-roading but they noted it was not part of the off-rodeo primarily because none of the vehicles were equipped. They also mentioned that there would be a lot of things to cover in winch operations and time limitations would not do it justice.

USBDLNDS123

Badlands
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Car
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I feel shame for using a new post to ask this, but my father-in-law brought up a good question when I told him about my Off-Rodeo appointment in September:

Will they be giving demonstrations (do’s and don’ts) for winching? I hadn’t considered this, but maybe there’s an off chance since a winch is an available accessory? (I’ve never had a truck with a winch, and could see one in my future on the Bronco)

Anyway, if anyone has any insight, I’d appreciate it.

Thanks
Tom

Ford Bronco Off-Roadeo Question: Winch demonstrations? A2C75CC8-B720-45FA-BF56-931EA5A1190A
Tom

we did not do any winching demonstrations but they did talk through it. We also recovered a bronco stuck in the mud courtesy of myself while we were there using recovery boards and recovery straps.

USBDLNDS123

Badlands
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Car
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

They also mentioned doing a specific recovery class in the future but nothing is locked in regarding this.

Sponsored

BroncoPls!

Badlands
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 Rivian R1S, 22 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

The closet thing was discussing how the capacity of the winch is reduced by how short your cable is. The longer your cable, the closer to full capacity, etc. Advised on using winch pulley to lengthen the amount of cable on a short pull if severely stuck.

604Bronco

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.bronco6g.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Tom

we did not do any winching demonstrations but they did talk through it. We also recovered a bronco stuck in the mud courtesy of myself while we were there using recovery boards and recovery straps.
Sounds like you just did that to “help in the demonstration”… Right? ;)

Rivers90

Base
First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
xterra mx5
Your Bronco Model
Base
Winching is a huge subject. I can see them not having time for it.

Never pull or shock load a winch. Use a recovery rope attached to the recovery hooks or hitch if your pulling with another truck.

Have a snatch block and slings to make anchors. Anchors are a big subject too.

Always leave 8 raps of winch rope or cable on the winch drum. Don't pull out all the cable.

Keep your rope cable spooled cleanly. This may mean after use spooling your cable or rope out and neatly rewinding it.

If your using steel cable use gloves. The cable will end up with sharp stands over time. Don't hook the cable to its self use a strap if your raping around something.
Sponsored