Sponsored

Off-roading, actually running mud, with factory SAS, Goodyear Territory tires?

7722 Bronco

Wildtrak
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Explorer ST/ 2019 F350 CC DRW 4x4
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Anyone have real world experience with these factory tires for true off-roading, and not the mall curbs and speed bumps. 😎

I'll be playing in the Red River Gorge/DBBB area, so have a mixture of rocks and mud. Just wondering if these will be good for this versus a dedicated M/T tire like the Mickey Thompson Baja Boss, BFG KO3, Nitto Trail Grappler and the like. Not against having a dedicated second set of wheels and tires for this if needed.

Appreciate any insight on this.
Sponsored

Last edited:

MaverickMan

Black Diamond
First Name
Shane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
96 bronco sport 91 comanche eliminator 93 v8 zj
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Just seeing pics of people with some stuff on their tires. I expect them to be better than almost all ATs but doubt they will do better than any MTs. Except maybe some lower grade import types like Linglong or other ebay rubber. I do expect them to be high on puncture resistance and such compared to ATs aswell. I say wear em out then buy some swampers. Everything else is just a toy.

OP
OP
7722 Bronco

7722 Bronco

Wildtrak
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Just seeing pics of people with some stuff on their tires. I expect them to be better than almost all ATs but doubt they will do better than any MTs. Except maybe some lower grade import types like Linglong or other ebay rubber. I do expect them to be high on puncture resistance and such compared to ATs aswell. I say wear em out then buy some swampers. Everything else is just a toy.
I can agree on the Swampers,,, I'd have to put the old school Ground Hawg in this small group also.

wanna1

Badlands
First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Ford F150 Platinum 4x4 2022 Mach E
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
The Off-Roadeo used the OEM setup and it was quite impressive. We even did rock climbing in the wet.

Greens05

Badlands
First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep TJ, BMW 335xi
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

So far I'm pretty pleased with them based on a trip to Rausch creek and the NH Offrodeo. Only thing I'm not too sure about is the sidewall strength compared to others like BFGs. Didn't have any issues but sidewall doesn't physically look as stoudt as some other ATs or MTs. Time will tell and I think it is worth giving then a shot and not immediately taking them off if they fit your needs.

Sponsored
OP
OP
7722 Bronco

7722 Bronco

Wildtrak
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

I'll definitely give them a shot. I just don't want to be "That Guy" that's always stuck and holding up a group for a pull or winch out.

R.A.N.M.J.

Badlands
First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I can agree on the Swampers,,, I'd have to put the old school Ground Hawg in this small group also.
I had a set of Denman Ground Hawg's on my old Bronco. Ended up buying six tires before I gave up on 'em. They would wear unevenly down the center.

Wonder what the quality is like now a days.

OP
OP
7722 Bronco

7722 Bronco

Wildtrak
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

I had a set of Denman Ground Hawg's on my old Bronco. Ended up buying six tires before I gave up on 'em. They would wear unevenly down the center.

Wonder what the quality is like now a days.
Yup, the Ground Hawg's were what I ran on my '77.

20211022_113742.jpg

Looks like Interco is producing a spin-off. Cobalt M/T. I think Interco and Denman may be partners, not sure on that though.

cobalt_group_300dpi_4x4.png

MaverickMan

Black Diamond
First Name
Shane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
96 bronco sport 91 comanche eliminator 93 v8 zj
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Anything with tread and bias ply construction is tough to beat offroad. Eventually swampers guys do downgrade to ATs. Bald swampers are as good as brand new ATs. :ROFLMAO:

Mattwings

Badlands
First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Badlands Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

One of a group of Broncos I went off road with had the Good Years. They did amazing well in the mud. I don’t know how much was the added ride height and footprint vs. tread pattern, but they shouldn’t be a major issue. Unless you are really doing some hard core mudding.

Sponsored

MadMan4BamaNATL

Badlands
First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco 2DR Badlands Sasquatch, 2021 RR Sport
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Anyone have real world experience with these factory tires for true off-roading, and not the mall curbs and speed bumps. 😎

I'll be playing in the Red River Gorge/DBBB area, so have a mixture of rocks and mud. Just wondering if these will be good for this versus a dedicated M/T tire like the Mickey Thompson Baja Boss, BFG KO3, Nitto Trail Grappler and the like. Not against having a dedicated second set of wheels and tires for this if needed.

Appreciate any insight on this.
Don't have my rig yet, but you know damn well those Goodyears won't hold a candle to KO2s or some Trail Grapplers. However, what you won't miss is all of the noise and discomfort while you're heading to the mall for Christmas shopping for the young wife and kids. :)

We won't even bring up the noise from a good set of Mickey MTs.

You're going to want to trade to a new set. In a ranking, I'd put Goodyear Wranglers as mid or average at best for real wheelin.

Got a favor to ask of you bud. Mind shipping me down a bottle or two of Blanton's? Keep the third for your own delights. These sumbitches down here in Georgia never have it and I've come close to drawing on one of these collector/scalpers on more than one occasion.....

BroncoAZ

Badlands
First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 2 Door Badlands manual, 2021 Tacoma TRD OR
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I have no dog in this fight as my Badands is non squatc, but one thing that I question about the Sasquatch Goodyear’s is the very light weight at 52#. Everything else in that size is 10# heavier at least. I don’t know where the weight was lost, but if I did go to a 315/70R17 the Goodyear’s would be a consideration because of those missing 10#.

mbagne

Badlands
First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mach-E GT
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
As someone else in this thread pointed out, I wouldn't trust the sidewalls on the Goodyear's in rocky terrain . . . maybe their fine in mud and sand.

As far as far as Mickey Thompson's that folks are talking about, I wouldn't get their Baja Boss M/T's due to highway noise . . . and you don't need that much of an aggressive tread for serious off-roading. Mickey Thompson released their Baja Boss A/T not long ago and they are still very aggressive but an easier drive on the highway, and WAY stronger sidewalls than the Goodyear's.

You can go to the Mickey Thompson website and read about the Baja Boss A/T's and also read independent reviews. I think they are a good choice, in my mind the best balance yet between mud and highway, and durable enough for serious rock crawling.
Sponsored