First Name
Shane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
96 bronco sport 91 comanche eliminator 93 v8 zj
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Actually there is photographic evidence of Trump winning King of the Hammers in a manual transmission, SFA rig

donald_KOTH.png
Fake news.

On a manual transmission note, when I mowed yesterday, I had to move my jeep but its battery was mostly dead. Good thing I parked it up on the hill. Low range, 3rd gear on the T5 came to life. While turning downhill to shoot the gap between my eagle and a costco tent. Back in the early 60s my dad lived with a 10 year old VW that had no starter for a whole month as his daily driver. Had to park on whatever hill he could find near where he was going though.

Manual transmissions are like light sabers in star wars. Everybody knows what they are but just uses a blaster because they are easier. Only a few folks in the galaxy have em, but those that do, can do amazing things with them.
Sponsored

Aman

Badlands
First Name
Aman
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1998 M3, 2008 Armada, and 2022 Badlands ManSquatch
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I think the best argument for the manual now is auto start/stop in the newer vehicles now. My Escape has and it's not that big of a deal but gets annoying having to turn it off every time you get in and start her up. I'll miss my remote start but I think the manual will be the way to go for me at least. It'll be my first manual DD and I'm excited to row my gears on the daily.
I think the manual has auto start/stop as well. The engine will turn off when stopped in neutral, but will restart as soon as the clutch is depressed.

Karl_in_Chicago

Badlands
First Name
Karl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I think the manual has auto start/stop as well. The engine will turn off when stopped in neutral, but will restart as soon as the clutch is depressed.
Yes, if the vehicle has auto S/S it is on the MT's as well as the AT's.

rapidredbronco2021

Badlands
First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Badlands 2 door MT
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Darn that's a downer, but still getting the manual

Rizz512

Base
First Name
Rudy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
C6 Zo6, Acura TSX
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

I got my fun manual transmission car. Nothing like banging thru gears on an open stretch of highway. But even in a fun car with a manual sitting in traffic gets old for me. That being said I wouldn't buy an auto sports/muscle car ever. I also cant picture myself wanting to bang gears in a 5000lb off road rig on the streets. The bronco will be seeing a lot more daily driving than the ZO6 hence the reason it will be an auto. I do plan on getting off road and hitting trails as much as I can but the majority of the miles will prob be stuck in Austin traffic.

Sponsored

Hobgoblin

Badlands
First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘15 Touareg, ‘10 Jetta, ‘07 Pilot
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

We may need to start a thread on how to permanently disable auto start/stop in the Bronco.:)

Pilot321

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 Jeep Wrangler TJ Sport
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Hmmm. I can't imagine doing it with an automatic as all my Jeeps have manual including my current Wrangler TJ. It just happens and for me gives me more control. You don't really have to "feather" the clutch. just know when and how much release to use and it comes naturally.

MaverickMan

Black Diamond
First Name
Shane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
96 bronco sport 91 comanche eliminator 93 v8 zj
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Yes, if the vehicle has auto S/S it is on the MT's as well as the AT's.
Too bad they dont do what I used to do in my old vans. Downhill I would turn the engine off and leave it in drive. Before I got to the bottom of the hill there would be enough pressure left in converter to bump the engine back to life without the starter. Just turn the coil back on. Id rather it kill the engine when I'm coasting than every 5 seconds at a stop sign. I mean if brakes and steering are all electric these days no big deal. Down hill on the highway kill it.

Aman

Badlands
First Name
Aman
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1998 M3, 2008 Armada, and 2022 Badlands ManSquatch
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Sponsored

rapidredbronco2021

Badlands
First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Badlands 2 door MT
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
There is a product out there that does it for current generation Fords. It remembers the last state in which you left it. I believe it's less than $100.

Edit: Found it.

https://www.autostopeliminator.com/collections/ford/products/2019-ford-ranger-autostop-eliminator
I'm still a bit confused since I'm new to the manual game here. So if you're in neutral the engine would cut off? If so I hope Ford doesn't have it in the Bronco. Does anyone know if the manual Mustangs have this?

kodiakisland

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
12 Tacoma, 18 Indian, 23 GV70
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Fake news.

On a manual transmission note, when I mowed yesterday, I had to move my jeep but its battery was mostly dead. Good thing I parked it up on the hill. Low range, 3rd gear on the T5 came to life. While turning downhill to shoot the gap between my eagle and a costco tent. Back in the early 60s my dad lived with a 10 year old VW that had no starter for a whole month as his daily driver. Had to park on whatever hill he could find near where he was going though.

Manual transmissions are like light sabers in star wars. Everybody knows what they are but just uses a blaster because they are easier. Only a few folks in the galaxy have em, but those that do, can do amazing things with them.
I drove a 71 MACH 1 in highschool. Battery died and couldn't afford a new one. Our driveway was a long hill and there was a big hill at school. No problem starting. The only issue was the football field parking lot was flat. I made a couple 9th graders push start me every day after practice. Did that for a couple of months before getting a new battery.

MallCrawlinBranco

Badlands
First Name
stevo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru Forester MT
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Too bad they dont do what I used to do in my old vans. Downhill I would turn the engine off and leave it in drive. Before I got to the bottom of the hill there would be enough pressure left in converter to bump the engine back to life without the starter. Just turn the coil back on. Id rather it kill the engine when I'm coasting than every 5 seconds at a stop sign. I mean if brakes and steering are all electric these days no big deal. Down hill on the highway kill it.
My understanding is that modern engines won't inject fuel if the downhill is enough to keep the engine spinning, so if its fuel consumption you are worried about, no need to shut off anything that was built recently.

See 2:30 for the punchline

Last edited:

Appalachia_Ewok

Base
First Name
J
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'02 PT Cruiser, '62 DeVille, '96 XJ, '23 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Auto S/S on a manual sounds nice if you can control it via the clutch. The annoying thing about Auto S/S is when you pull up to a light knowing it's about to change and your car cuts off and you have to try and stomp the gas to get it going. If you know the light is going to change you can just keep the clutch engaged to prevent it from shutting off.

Sounds like a win/win to me; engine off for the long waits, keep the clutch down and the engine doesn't shut off for the short ones.
Sponsored